Why can't they give me a decent device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple321, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Apple321 macrumors member

So today I finally gave in and bought my iPhone. All is good until I opened the box and inspected the iPhone. Lucky me - the glossy metal bevel that rings around the iphone is separated by a nice little gap from the brushed aluminum backing. I thought to myself "This isnt too bad". Loaded a video onto it and light shines through the gap and up through the black portion of the screen near the speaker at the top of the phone.

Looks like I am going to make another trip to the stupid Apple Store that is basically 20 miles away.

This wouldn't bother me too much...but I already exchanged 4 iPod Touches because of negative black effect and many dead pixels.

Frankly, I can't believe that I have run into so many problems with these two products. I'm not being anal; these are defects that anyone would notice and be annoyed with. I don't want to make 3 more trips back to the Apple Store for an iPhone for very noticable defects. For $399 per unit (both the iPhone and iPod Touch) I expect a little better quality control. Every iPod and Mac I have owned up until these two has been perfect, but these two are different.

Anyone else have as bad of luck as me?

2. calvy macrumors 65816

I didn't. But open it in the store, and demand another immediately if you find another problem. This should save you some trips.

3. Apple321 thread starter macrumors member

That is what I will do tommorow. I was too excited with actually getting the thing to think about checking it over after my bad iPod Touch experiences.

4. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

A good idea is to carefully inspect the device before you leave the store.

5. Apple321 thread starter macrumors member

Its easy to check for physical defects in the store. Does the emergency call screen allow for an easy check of dead/stuck pixels or is this something I will need to wait until I am home to do.

Secondly, when I get a new iPhone will I be able to just put my previous iPhone SIM in the new iPhone and it will work, or will I have to go back through the iTunes activation process?

Finally, I bought my iPhone at an AT&T store because the Apple Store is out of the way during a weekday. There should be no problem taking it to the Apple Store for an exchange (that is what the AT&T guy told me also). Anyone ever have problems with this?

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

7. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I had a US iPhone in August (from eBay), which was 100% perfect.

My UK ones (I'm now on my second) have a few issues, including dead pixels, slightly distorting alerts, and the chrome ring isn't 100% even on all sides, but it's only very slight. It is well built, but not 100% perfect.