Why Can't We Edit Thread Titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I can do this at a lot of the photography forums I visit - why not MR?

Seems a pain in the arse to have to get a moderator to change a messed up title...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
iGary said:
I can do this at a lot of the photography forums I visit - why not MR?

Seems a pain in the arse to have to get a moderator to change a messed up title...
I agree, should be able to edit thread titles.

You have time to visit other forums too?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think we should not be able to edit our own thread titles, but we should each get another member and be allowed to edit *their* thread titles.

I so want to be iGary's thread title changer.

:D

Seriously, though, if it won't cause chaos in terms of using it in the Marketplace to subvert bumping rules, and vB allows it, I too think it would be good. Especially for those people *cough cough* who make really unintuitive thread titles.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I agree, we should be able to change it. Nothing worse than submitting your thread only to see you spelled a word in the title wrong.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
EricNau said:
I thought we could edit thread titles. :confused:

If you edit your first post, does that not allow you to change the title? :confused:
Nope... the way things are set up now, if you edit the first post topic, it changes the topic of the post within the thread but not the thread.,

L

Lau

EricNau said:
I thought we could edit thread titles. :confused:

If you edit your first post, does that not allow you to change the title? :confused:
No, I think it lets you change the bold title at the top of your first post, but it doesn't change the title listed on the main page.

I'd like to be able to edit titles. The only reason I can see for not being able to edit them would be that someone could change the title dramatically which could be confusing when you see it later, but that pales into insignificance compared to how annoyed I'd be if I had a typo in my thread title. ;) Also, I like the idea of being able to say "SOLD" in a Marketplace title, or "SOLVED" in a help thread, whilst still keeping it open for comments if need be.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
mkrishnan said:
Nope... the way things are set up now, if you edit the first post topic, it changes the topic of the post within the thread but not the thread.,
Lau said:
No, I think it lets you change the bold title at the top of your first post, but it doesn't change the title listed on the main page.
Oh, shows how much I pay attention. :D :eek:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
ok, I just changed it so you can.

don't abuse it!

arn

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Wow, if Steve and Jonothan were even only half as attentive as you (as in listening to what people want and then actually giving it to them), then the world would be a better place for all of us.

Thanks, Arn!

By the way, I take it that only the thread starter can change the thread title, and not just anyone?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Bengt77 said:
By the way, I take it that only the thread starter can change the thread title, and not just anyone?
yep, of course... :)

arn

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
EricNau said:
We should be able to edit other member's posts; that would be lots of fun! :p ;)
Oh man, I can totally see that! But while it would be fun, it would also very much bring chaos to Mac Rumors. Maybe that very fact would make it to reddit or digg? Would be funny as hell, yeah... :D

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Question. Would changing the title bump the thread?

Because then I could see this easily abused, especially in the market place...

Status
Not open for further replies.