Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Why can't we play music through the Apple Watch Speaker?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Siri works and facetime audio calls work over the built-in speaker, so why can't we listen to our music? Makes no sense. I would love to be able to do this. Especially during work, where they don't allow us to bring out phones inside.

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
If you ever use Apple Watch to answer the phone call for a while, you should be able to understand why Apple does not want people listen to music through Apple Watch speaker: its volume is still fairly low, compared with iPhone or iPad. Any reasonable level of noise will cover up the sound from Apple Watch. The experience is simply not good.

Comment

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
because it would sound like (smiley poo emoji)

(sad face emoji) for not being able to use emoji here

Comment

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
I understand and agree with all of the comments above, but I still think it's silly it's not even an option. If it's turned off due to quality control, heck, I'd even click through a prompt every time that says "Please note: sound quality may not be ideal, please use AirPods or compatible headphones"

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
Guys.. if you really need it just bought a cheap 2nd hand 1st gen AirPods and the problem solved. You can even use it with your iPhone as well.
Using watch speaker will take a heavy toll on watch battery.

Comment

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Thing is I can't wear any type of headphones, ear phones while working inside a distribution center. It's against the policy. Which is why I wanted to be able to listen to it directly from the watch. I already own AirPods.

Comment

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Yeah, Apple could fully enable the Apple Watch speaker and also sell a sling so you can stylishly tie your forearm against your ear.

Comment

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Yeah, Apple could fully enable the Apple Watch speaker and also sell a sling so you can stylishly tie your forearm against your ear.
No sling dude - but they could sell a dongle that enables the ability to a attach a sling.

Comment

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thing is I can't wear any type of headphones, ear phones while working inside a distribution center. It's against the policy. Which is why I wanted to be able to listen to it directly from the watch. I already own AirPods.
You could get a cheap BT speaker and pair the AW to it.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Comment

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Need I say more? :p

Reactions: Dino F and Hi Tek
Comment

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I imagine it wouldn't do the battery much good. A shame though as I'm currently using a Galaxy Watch, which can play music through the built in speaker, and for what it is the sound is pretty good. Handy for times when you want to hear some music and don't have wireless headphones or a phone at hand.

Comment

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
...handy for times you want to annoy other people with music they don't want to hear and you don't have that boombox or phone at hand.

Reactions: tunastink
Comment

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
I agree with you that it is an omission by Apple. The tiny speaker in the Apple Watch 4 is incredibly efficient. I remember the first time I answered a call using the watch: Without thinking I put the watch near my ear, but the caller was so loud it was literally painful. The speaker is excellent in conditions like driving with the window down, crowded spaces and so on.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.