Why can't you add a phone call on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ars Diaboli, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

I used to be on a phone call and if someone called and I wanted to make it a conference call, all I had to do was merge calls. On Verizon, you do not have that option. You can only swap between the two. Now, if you are only talking to one person, you can put them on hold and add a call that you dial, but there is not a merging option on Verizon. Why? Am I missing something?

2. tbl macrumors member

tbl

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

As mentioned above, it's a limitation of the type of network that Verizon operates.
    The link that tbl posted is good.

4. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait what? How do I merge calls if I am on AT&T. I didn't not know this was a stock feature

5. flipster macrumors 6502a

I'm on Verizon and I have the option to merge calls :confused:

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The link tbl provided contains a link called iPhone User Guide which has instructions.

7. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I'm on verizon and merge calls quite often....

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

According to the link posted, it would appear that Verizon cannot merge calls on "certain occasions". I'm guessing this is problem OP is having.

9. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

While I have never done it, I am going to go with this.

I know I have started calls and seen the "+" Add Call button greyed out, but then see it become active shortly after.

10. Daj27 macrumors newbie

Daj27

I believe you can't hang up on the calls separately if you are the host. Also there is smaller limit to adding calls as oppose to GSM.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

Verizon allows you to merge calls. The only limitation Verizon has is that there is no data + phone call and while on a phone call you cannot add more than 3 people (or 2).

13. Ars Diaboli, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Ars Diaboli thread starter macrumors member

Then try it on a Verizon iPhone. Unless you initiate the second phone call all you can do is swap between the two. You cannot merge the call if the second call calls you.

14. Ars Diaboli thread starter macrumors member

It seems there is a conditional response on Verizon iPhones. You cannot 'merge' unless you make the second call. A spontaneous second phone call that you get and want to 'merge' can't be done. Only swaps between the two. See earlier post concerning the user's manual for Verizon iPhone. Max of two in the conversation and limited merging situations.

Well, I only hope they can change this because this is a function that I really enjoyed on AT&T, when I had signal.

15. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

It is a limitation of the CDMA network, so it won't happen until Verizon has an LTE iPhone (with LTE coverage) at the least (and that's assuming Verizon uses Voice over LTE, I'm not sure if they do.)