Why can't you add an email address to your account's address book in the mail app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I know it allows you to add an email address to your phone's contacts but what if you want to add an address to your email account's address book? Strange that it doesn't allow you to. Hopefully iOS 7 corrected this.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Are you sure you are doing it right?

What email account are you trying to add and addy to?

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your email account's contacts should be under contacts and not in the mail app if your account supports contact sync. Works fine on my Exchange account and my wife's gmail account. Worked fine under IOS6 as well. Doesn't sound like your issue is the OS.

How are you trying to add the contact? What type of email account? Always provide details.

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I assume, Gmail

----------

I'm trying to add it in the mail app. It's a Gmail.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Okay I thought you were trying to add an email address in your Address Book.

I've added several Gmail accounts to friends iOS devices (in the Settings section) and no problems. The one email address that sometimes doesn't go through on the first few tries is verizon.net.

I cannot remember if I did this or not but you can try this… Open Safari - go to Gmail and log into your Gmail account. Then open Settings on your iPhone - click Mail - add account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3899

if this doesn't work then download the Gmail App or contact apple to help you troubleshoot.

------

I've read your question several times. Not really sure what you are asking. I was thinking you were trying to add a Gmail address to your vCard in Address book?

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=tidetail&product=iphone&locale=en_US&tag=Contacts

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No I'm trying to add people's email addresses to my stored addresses in my account. I said "to my email account's address book."

7. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Yes, that has to be done through you browser into your gmail account.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah why don't they have that capability in the app? Did they seriously not add it for iOS 7?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are your contacts set up as being from your Gmail account on the phone?

10. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

---
    Not that I know of but I don't use gmail as my primary email provider. Best to spread it around to confuse NSA. :)

11. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

It should be the same for any email provider.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

okay so you are trying to move your entire Gmail address book to your Address Book on your iPhone?

I actually tried to do that on my Mac and it was a mess. I was actually moving from an AOL acct to Gmail. I read the instructions and all it did was copy the email address. The layout was was read only. It didn't create a vCard. Each mail provider uses different formats.

Go here and midway on the page are some instructions. idk if they will work. I work mainly out of my Mac account.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/31656/how-do-i-move-my-iphone-contacts-to-gmail

Or try this... what you can do is do it manually, sorta. When you open up your Gmail inside the Mail App on your iPhone, click on an email and then click on the recipient Name and that will prompt you to the Add Contact screen.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No, where did I say I was trying to move my entire Gmail address book to my address book on my phone?

I don't understand what is so confusing about this. I want to add an email address to my Gmail address book using the mail app on my phone. It's really simple.

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

It's hard to read when you lack sleep lol sorry :)

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol it's ok I just don't get why no one seems to understand my question.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Because you were missing somethings in your first post. After reading all this… it makes since to why people have the Gmail App on their iPhones. You might have to go that route.

17. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I get your question but I don't think you can open up the native email app and then add, for example, an email address to your Gmail account's Contacts (even if you use Gmail thru the native email app, as I do.) I think to access that function you must use a browser on your iPhone to go to the email account's Contacts and do it there, just as if you were doing the same task using a computer browser.

IDK if the Gmail app allows for this because I don't use it.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you, that's all I was asking. Don't you think that feature should be available by now on the native app?

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

The Mail app on its own doesn't have much to do with your Gmail contacts, it simply uses contacts that your Conctacts app has and might be connected to. So, set up your Contacts app to be connected to your Gmail contacts and you should be able to do what you are looking for.

20. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh ok. How come it recognizes some email address that pop up when I start typing them (that aren't in my contacts)?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is a cache that different apps have (like Measages and Mail for example) that do remember some recently used addresses or those from which something was recently (or even not so recently) received.

22. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Gotcha, thanks. Unfortunate, as other than this and the ability to search older mail I like the mail app. Hopefully Apple steps up their game soon.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

It does what a mail app should be doing without extra bloat.

You should be able to add an address from it to your contact list if you set up your contacts to be the ones in sync with your particular email provider (the mail app will simply use the contacts that you have set up on your phone).

24. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Understood it just fine. As I said:
    You're incorrectly assuming that contacts are handled in the stock mail app.

Nope. That's what Contacts is for.

Sounds like you need to set up contact sync:
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

25. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

While consolidation is nice and efficient, it doesn't make sense for email addresses to be stored with phone numbers. Every time I go to send a new text it brings up the phone number and email, unnecessary and confusing.