Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

From article:

"In fact, CurrentC even stores "sensitive customer information" in the cloud rather than on a given person's own phone, a practice that it says lowers risk of data theft."

Really? So storing information in the cloud, which could be hacked en mass, is more secure than trying to hack into an individual phone? Not to mention that Apple Pay CC info isn't even stored in the iPhone itself.

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
From article:

"In fact, CurrentC even stores "sensitive customer information" in the cloud rather than on a given person's own phone, a practice that it says lowers risk of data theft."

Really? So storing information in the cloud, which could be hacked en mass, is more secure than trying to hack into an individual phone? Not to mention that Apple Pay CC info isn't even stored in the iPhone itself.

CurrentC barely knows what day it is. Their backward positioning of their other "features" doesn't surprise me.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
There is zero incentive for 98% of customers to use current C.

Unless Walmart wants to rebate me back 3-4% each time I use current C. I have zero reason to use it.

Walmart is just padding their bottom line with Current C (who can blame them). They are a business.

But credit cards encourage consumer spending. That's why Visa Amex etc charge those fees. Bottom line. Will Walmart business decrease 3-4% if they stopped accepting credit card. I am sure with 100% reason Walmart business would probably drop more than 10% if they stopped accepting credit card.

Just the cost of doing business. Credit card use encourage spending.

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
http://verynicewebsite.net/2014/10/nope-4/

Dan Frommer on CurrentC:

When it comes to actually paying, the system gets even more cumbersome. CurrentC describes the process on its support site: You need to select a “Pay with CurrentC” option on the register, activate your phone, open the CurrentC app, enter a four-digit passcode, press the “Pay” button, “either scan the Secure Paycode that the cashier presents (default) or press the Show button at the bottom of your screen to allow the cashier to scan your Secure Paycode,” select the account you want to pay with, and then press a “Pay Now” button.
Not only will I never use this system, I will strangle the first person I’m behind in a checkout line who tries to use it.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
CurrentC has no benefit for the costumer.
1 It invades your privacy
2 Its not any more convenient than swiping a credit card
3. Do I really want to give out my Bank info to an intuition that has already been hacked and will continue to be hacked.
4.Will currentC quarantee that they will refund any unauthorized purchases
5.How will I benefit as a customer for letting CurrentC track my buying habits.

Be real, a payment system similar to CuurentC is used in the Dunkuin Donuts App. I very rarely see anyone using it

Companies supporting this method of payment which eliminates Credit Card companies will lose business and customers. As a customer let me choose how I want to pay. Disabling ApplePay is only telling me that a store doesn't want my business.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Walmart is just padding their bottom line with Current C (who can blame them). They are a business.

I can blame them and you can too. They do this because too many have bought into this totally wrong and frankly right wing notion that a businesses total reason for existence is take all of the money they can from you. As if they have no social responsibility. They want to be "people too" until they need to have the responsibility of a person and then they are a corporation, "screw you because we can".

I bought a new car this week. The dealer charges a $599 fee to provide the services of making the transaction. This is after you have provided them with a $2500+ profit. Then they charge a $89 fee to process the title and tag. Then they charge a $60 surcharge. So what was that $599 for?
So much for my "free" car wash- so much for my "free" first tank of gas.
Note that all of this is mandatory. The owner has instructed them to walk away from the sale to protect these fees.
Why does this happen?
Simple- because they can. They can and do because we let them. They can and do because we don't even question them any more. It's time to begin questioning. It's time for OUR needs and rights to have value again. It's time to return to the days when the customer is always right.

Last edited:

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
This is why CurrentC will fail:

"Users have to open their phone, open CurrentC, open the scanner, scan the code from the cashier, and wait for the transaction to be confirmed."

It's far easier to just swipe a credit card or to use an NFC based payment form.

I find this whole attempt to wrest control of payment processing from the credit card companies annoying and kind of amusing. Here, please use our awkward payment system so we can cheat credit card companies out of their processing fees. For you? Oh, maybe we'll give you some loyalty points that are only usable here at <insert retailer name>.

Are they kidding? I'll take real cash back from the credit card companies instead any day. And those places that don't accept credit cards or try to charge me a higher price for using one don't get my patronage.

I also find it funny that the two big retailers on board are from an ancient and dying market segment, drug stores.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If any payment method requires more work then handing over cash or pulling a credit card out and swiping, it will fail pure and simple. Even Apple Pay can succumb to this. For instance, I tried to pay for some food at a local bakery the other day, and it had trouble reading my thumb print, I kept trying like 3 times and I finally gave up and handed over my credit card.

Consumers don't want to get rid of their credit cards, they want to an easy seamless payment method. If CurrentC is more convoluted, it will fail, pure and simple.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
If any payment method requires more work then handing over cash or pulling a credit card out and swiping, it will fail pure and simple. Even Apple Pay can succumb to this. For instance, I tried to pay for some food at a local bakery the other day, and it had trouble reading my thumb print, I kept trying like 3 times and I finally gave up and handed over my credit card.

Consumers don't want to get rid of their credit cards, they want to an easy seamless payment method. If CurrentC is more convoluted, it will fail, pure and simple.

This. Tried Apple pay once and as long as I still have my card in wallet, as long as every store does not offer it, I just swipe my card instead of bringing out the phone.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Whether by IPhone or hard Credit Card swipe customers will continue to use their Credit Cards. For any store, be it CVS ,RiteAid, Homedepot to think that customers will adopt an insecure non bank backed payment system shows the logic of the CEOs running them. Why would anyone give up their privacy , credit card rewards ( be it travel miles,cash back or reward points) as well as their privacy And security to use something else like CurrentC

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
Here's the breakdown that's important to me. ApplePay focuses on ease of use protects the customer from having to reveal sensitive data during transactions. CurrentC benefits the merchant by with credit card fees and consumer data mining. For me personally ApplePay is the obvious choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.