Why did Apple provide 128 GB SSD on the MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Retina MacBook, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Strange.

In just 2 days, I filled up my entire SSD. Now it's telling me that my Startup disk is almost full.

Why would Apple even provide us with such small storage? I watch 1080p movies, just like everyone, listen to FLAC, just like everyone and view pictures in RAW, just like photographers do.

This just wouldn't work. And their 512 GB upgrade is expensive too. I'd rather get a Retina-Display MBP.

Why didn't Apple provide the MBA with at least 1TB of SSD? With all the lightning fast stuff and the huge storage?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Not everyone stores all their videos, etc. on their internal hard drives. If I didn't have a Windows partition, I could easily get by with the 128GB SSD. SSD is new technology and it is significantly faster than HDDs, which is why it is fairly costs. It is available from third parties for about $1-$1.5/GB now (depending on the manufacturer), though with Apple's proprietary connectors they are still to charge about $2/GB.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Why would anyone buy a computer with 128 GB ssd knowing that they would fill it up so shortly?

6. HotRodGuy, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

HotRodGuy macrumors regular

yea, we debated this with my wifes new Air....that said, she only really stores music on it. no videos, pictures, etc...that all goes on an external. So we think the 128 will be fine.

On the other side, my MBP has a 500GB, and I've got about 200GB of photos alone on it; 50GB of music.

But I keep all of my movies on an external.

7. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

I can't make a dent in 128 GB. People's requirements vary widely.

8. bartonlynch macrumors regular

Same. I have 80 GB free on mine. I don't expect to use more any time soon.

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The proportion of computer users who watch 1080p video and listen to FLAC music is minimal.

To work with the reduced storage on the MBA I suggest using an external drive for your media files.

1tb Flash storage would be really expensive.

If you'd rather get the retina MBP, by all means get that.

10. Glockron macrumors member

I'm on an MBA 128 GB model, and still have 60 gigs left. That's after having all my apps, entire iTunes, Windows 8 in parallels and much more installed. Plenty of space for the everyday user.

If you need a TB of storage and you're not a professional of some sort you're doing something wrong. Clear out your music library - I know some people with 200 GB libraries - there's no way they actually like / listen to all of it.

Clean up your movies. Put them on an external drive - you don't need SSD speeds for that. Same goes for music...

11. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

For the last 12 months my Apple purchasing policy has been to buy the minimum storage capacity on any device (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air). I see where Apple is taking us with iCloud and I'm all for it.

12. BigZ9 macrumors member

1TB of SSD doesn't exist yet I don't think. Even if it does, expect to pay atleast $1000 for just that amount of memory.

13. Glockron macrumors member

May I inquire as to why you have FLACs on the MBA?

First of all the FLAC vs 256 kbps difference isn't noticeable to most people, except in maybe classical music. Unless you're using high-grade audio equipment you won't hear a difference. I have used FLAC and ALAC files on and off, and really it isn't worth it for 99% of people.

If you plan on using the integrated speakers / sound card it's a 100% waste. Even with decent Bose headphones (INB4 Bose vs. Beats flame war) plugged in I rarely hear a difference in FLACs.

Not being rude here - I'm just trying to save you some space :)

14. nws0291 macrumors 6502

So you are using pro level formats on a device that isn't targeted for that and you are upset? Most don't store 1080p. Most don't even know what FLAC or lossless is. Most also have no idea what RAW is as well.

You bought the wrong computer for your needs. Do you flip out when buying an iPod shuffle knowing you have a large music collection.

15. macneubie macrumors regular

I don't really have ears of a dog to distinguish between a FLAC or Apple Lossless song to a 256kbps MP3. :)

16. plucky duck macrumors 6502

For me it was either a 2011 13" 256GB vs 2012 13" 128GB model. I have an external TB adapter with a 240GB SSD so I went with the 2012 model. I want to bootcamp as well for gaming so I will just use a larger partition for Windows. Most of my media will be on 32GB/64GB SDHC memory cards when I'm on the road for easy fast access. I think it's doable.

I don't want to stay with the SB/HD3000 if I want to game. Not that IV/HD4000 is that much better, but still.

17. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Because the MacBook air isn't designed to handle lots and lots of high quality media files. Thats why they make the MacBook pro. I'm surprised you got a MacBook Air knowing you would be using those types of files often. It also has a significantly weaker processor. And why are you storing all of those files on an internal hard drive? If you really care about the SSD and don't care about spending hundreds of dollars on a large one (and it sounds like you dont) then get yourself a nice big external thunderbolt SSD.

----------

OWC now has 960GB SSDs available. But not for the macbook air, and they're over $1k

18. mrs1986 macrumors regular

The guy is just kidding with us... Is impossible that you can make such a waste of forum space...

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Sure it does, just not on consumer portables.

20. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Which is why the OP was banned.

21. mrs1986 macrumors regular

It was? Ohh didnt see it as i was on my iPhone...
    But lots of people should be banned everyday for such meaningless threads dont you think?

22. stchman macrumors 6502a

You knew the storage limitations when you bought the thing. The box clearly reads 128GB SSD.

You could have bought the MBA with a 512GB SSD. While pricey, would have given you more storage.

23. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I don't know why but you need to learn to adjust, coming from iMac with 1TB I had too.

24. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I ask the same

25. asting macrumors 6502

Quick action by the mods.

After a certain point, it is just not going to fit. I have over a terabyte of photos on my desktop, so even that has a few drives to fit everything.