Why did Apple remove the 3.5mm headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Sep 7, 2016.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Takes courage to make obviously stupid mistakes.

Speaking for myself, even though I rarely use the headphone jack, the LAST thing I need is to find a dongle to use an ubiquitous world wide standard.

Might as well remove the steering wheel from a car. (use iPhone to steer it)
    Or the number in front of the house (Google maps can pinpoint, don't need to look for it)

In the past Apple products had versatility and options the PC world dreamed of. Now its being shaved until there is no redundancy. MacBook with USB-C, more dongles to spend on, and not have on when you need it.

====EDIT UPDATE=====
    No earphones with iPhone 7 it seems.

Is the Lightning adapter in stock now?
    Guess not (but 7 wont be distributed till 16th, probably will be in stock then)

#Nojacknoiphone7
    ======================
    ADDENDUM (9/8/16):
    There will be a set of *wired* ear buds with the iPhone 7, with the non-standard Lighting connector.

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

So use the lightning connector or bluetooth. I don't see the need to remove it either, but I haven't plugged anything into my headphone port in years.

3. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Sounds like you're just looking to complain.

Lightning w/adapter works just fine. What's the problem? Old tech. Get rid of it and use that space for something better. Plus, it's impossible to water proof with a huge hole like that.

Steering wheel isn't an audio jack. Not even in the same class bud.

4. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Why did Apple remove the CD/DVD drive from late model Mac laptops?

Why did Apple kill Appletalk? Why did Apple kill PowerPC Mac? Why did Apple kill OS9 Classic? Why did Apple kill syncing with Leopard 10.5.8 when using a lighting connector? Why did Apple kill syncing with a 30-pin connector for iOS 7 and higher? Why did Apple kill syncing with iOS 9 on anything less than Lion?

Why did Apple kill the floppy drive?

Why did the airlines kill piston-powered aircraft? Don't we all want to travel around for hours on end in a DC-3?

19th century tech has been removed. Good riddance to the jack.

6. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I personally have never seen anyone charge there phone/listen to music via cable, so it should be fine. Be happy they're not charging you for the adapter lol

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Far from impossible to waterproof without it. Phones have been doing it for years.

Adapters suck for most people. My wife rotates through about 6 sets of earbuds. She would lose that adapter in about 2 hours.

For me, it's personally no problem - I won't lose the adapter and I often use an external DAC already, but I still think it's a stupid decision.

8. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

The adapter can easily be snapped off from lightning port and damage lightning port in the process?

If I loss the adapter, I need spend other 35 dollar for a stupid adaptor?

And Samsung, Motorola can make phone waterproof with 3.5mm? So you are saying Apple cannot do what other can do?

Frankly, I hate Bluetooth headphones. It is pain in the butt to pair and your need pair and unpair when you connecting to different phones. I am not going to buy 4 Bluetooth headphone for 4 devices.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    Floppy drive being replaced with standard hard drive. CD is replaced by streaming. But Apple is replacing 3.5mm with lightning port? **** no. Apple can **** itself and I will not buy lightning headphone.

9. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

There's really nothing you won't complain about, is there?

10. MikBe macrumors member

They removed the 3.5mm plug to make the iPhone thinner.

The problem is now you have to carry around something extra that you will lose. This kind of mindless thinning is really stupid, "Hey, we made the device smaller! Oh, but we did it by removing things you need so instead of having everything you need in the device you'll now have to carry around a million adaptors and doo-dads that you're sure to lose. And we'll stop selling the adaptors in six months. Go F yourself! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha"

11. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Takes courage to not update your Mac lines for more than 1 year.

12. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

except for those of us that do it every day in our cars.

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

14. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

I will add one thing. **** Apple! Now you are starting 32GB as base storage for iPhone 6S. Why the **** not do it at beginning. What they do is screwing old customer.

And **** Apple one more time. Why the hell iPhone SE not pick up 32GB?

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

The headphone connector can also easily snap off. Nice try. What else you got?

Again, you're just looking to complain. Go elsewhere.

16. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The ip7 looks to a very respectable upgrade.

Yes, I'm not liking the loss of the audio jack, but the other features plus the added battery life are definite pluses.

I think many (of the masses) will buy.

Guess we'll see the reviews next.

17. Schnort macrumors regular

It's simple physics and lever moment arms.

A typical 3.5mm stereo plug where it inserts 3/4" has much less sheer force than a lightning connector that inserts 1/4" given the same pull on the connector. It also doesn't help that the lightning dongle is over an inch long (compared to the 1/4" inserted). It'll never survive being put in a pocket while plugged in (which is how I run). Even an accidental tug while sitting on the desk in the wrong direction will likely damage the plug or the receptacle.

18. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Just another reason to stick with the iPhone 6.

The iPhone 7 didn't do anything to move the needle. I don't live a watery lifestyle. If I were a swimmer or prone to the dropsies perhaps I'd be enthralled.

BJ

19. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I'm not saying the new iPhone doesn't look inciting, but"courage" could have been combined with "smart-thinking". Replacing the lightning port with usb-c, and removing the headphone jack would have been courageous and smart. USB-c is superior to lightning in all ways. People would loose compatibility with old chargers and accessories...but that is already happening with the removal of the headphone jack. A move to usb-c by would have been seen as industry leading, and would simply make sense. It would have extended the compatibility not only with the industry, but other apples products like the macbook. By sticking with lightning, they are sticking with an inferior technology, and it looks like nothing more than a money grab via accessories and licensing.

20. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Just saw IF you like using headphones, wireless AirPods will cost $159 and will be available in late October.

21. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

It can, but if it does snap off at least you could still in theory charge your iPhone since the headphone port would be ruined and not the Lightning port.

It would've been nice for the SE to also be updated to 32GB base storage.

I think it's a respectable upgrade as well. Stereo speakers, water / dust resistant, new home button, improved camera, improved cpu/gpu, and additional battery life.

But no fast charging or better resolution on the displays. Still the 750p and 1080p which bothers me a lot.

22. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

Yeah, and if you don't mind looking stupid. In both ears.

BJ

23. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

24. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

This will come next year.

The former matters not to me.

25. HEK Suspended

HEK

These complainers will fade swiftly into the night. Their voices fading just like the antiquated technologies they hopelessly try to promote.