Why did or does some see white phones as feminine?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by The Game 161, Sep 16, 2014.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Trying to understand this. I think they look amazing in white.

Do people who wear white t shirts and have white cars seem feminine? Is it because more women like white phones than black?

2. Shuri macrumors 6502

Never got this either.. Remember a friend of mine getting a white iPhone has been made fun of for it.. But if you're just a little confident it's not that much of a deal. ;) My phone is currently black, but I could imagine change to a white one, just for change's sake.

Then again this reminds me of large phone people claiming that small phones are for girls and vice versa... it's just stupid and I don't really care as long as I'm happy :)

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Why did or does some see white phones as feminine?

They are just the vocal minority with an odd psychosis.

Normal guys obviously enjoy white. Driving a white pickup, white airplane, white freight truck, painting walls white in their house, etc etc.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I have to say its something I have only ever seen on Mac Rumors. I know plenty of male friends with white phones and never has the view they are feminine cropped up in conversation.

If a phone was pink I think there would be some association (its a preference though) to gender but black and white are neutral and not gender exclusive.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

White phones are very nice looking, I'd get one myself except I think the black ones hide the bezels much more effectively. Not feminine at all IMO.

7. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I make it a point to not associate with people who judge me based on the color, or type, of smartphone I choose to own.

8. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

It's like a wedding, men always black, women white!

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

dunno .... I tend to go white / black / white / black with phones.

I think Samsung phones often tend to look better in white, whereas iPhones for me look better black.

However if I went for the alpha, I want silver :)

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this probably has something to do with it. We all have a little experiences that would make white seem more feminine.

If you have two phones laying side by side, one white and one black and ask someone which one belongs to the man.....I am sure most would say the black. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is true.

Samsung put a commercial out a few years ago and all of the white phones were held my women.

I have owned a white iphone in the past, but I do think it looks more feminine. Although the white ranger was male

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

What (s)he said.

Personally, the only iPhone colours I think of as a bit girly are gold/champagne. They look as though they're intended to co-ordinate with handbags and jewellery and stuff, and Real Men shouldn't put that much thought into their ensemble.

The 5c range – even the pink, which is more a weird salmon – don't strike me as feminine, more youthful/playful.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this is the exact same thing haha. Your description of the champagne color is the same reason why some people feel white is more feminine.

13. Shuri macrumors 6502

Ahhhh, "Real Men" - the battle cry of male insecurity.. :rolleyes:

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. While I prefer black phones, there is nothing feminine about white phones.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I switch off every other purchase.

So my S5 is white but the 5S it replaced was black.

I do this for variety. Sexual identity is not a factor.

16. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Meh, I have a white GSIII and drive an NB Miata.

I also have a beard, like guns, steak, loud engines, chainsaws, and drink dark beer with twigs and leaves in it.

17. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I like some white phones. My Galaxy S5 was white....my IP5s is white. Ordered the IP6 but trying black this time. The only drawback to white phones is the white gives a color break. A black phone when the screen is off gives a solid black look to the phone.

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I've had white phones in the past with no effeminate glances towards me. :D No issues with them!
    My next phone will likely be white too. (Moto G 2014)

[​IMG]

19. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

on my note 3, i don't like the way the capacitive buttons glow and bleed when they light up for the white version, in the black phone the buttons are nice and clean looking.

a few months ago i turned off the button lights completely because i swapped the buttons to have "back" on the left and "app switcher" on the right. on a white phone the buttons will still be clearly visible even if they don't light up.

20. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Who cares what people think if you like to use a white phone ? If you like it, get it and be proud.

IMO certain smartphones to me look better in white, and others better all black.

Tell people this, the Apollo astronauts that went to the moon, were pretty bad ass dudes, their gear was mainly white, same with a lot of NASA stuff, being white, and no one calls them feminine.

21. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I agree with this. I often times want to get white but the black models always seem to look better. I recently chose the Space Grey iPhone 6 and briefly struggled with color choice.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I wish they had black faces for white phones, and even the gold ones. Although with Samsung I suppose I could just swap out the back.

----------

Which app, or maybe which xposed module did you use to switch the button functionality? I'd love to make the left button open program manager like the Note 4 does.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

What kind of beer is that? Sounds like something I'd drink.

24. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I just love the look of the white Note 4 . Maybe I'm not feeling the black Note 4 as that's what I'm on now dunno.

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The white alpha and white note 4 both look better than the black counterpart to me.