why did Saurik(Cydia) save my SHSH as 3.1.3???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ROCKERDAN, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ROCKERDAN macrumors regular

had 3.1.0 on my 3gs,jailbroke with blackra1n no probs....

saved my shsh files with cydia("make my life easier") button no probs....

I went into cydia to see at top of page....they saved SHSH as 3.1.3 for me......why would cydia save my files as 3.1.3??

so when i had probs with my JB and my iphone crashed,i went to restore with Itunes,i chose my 3.1.0 FW using the shift key,and i also was sure to point itunes to sauriks server within notepad.

everytime i chose 3.1.0 or 3.1.2 it would come back,"not eligable for this build"

the only way i can get it thru is to choose 3.1.3,which screws me out of JB/unlock.

OK,so can someone tell me what the deal is here?...WHY WOULD sauriks site(cydia) have saved my SHSH as 3.1.3?....does it have to cause itunes is only signing for 3.1.3 now?....if so,then how do i get around updating to 3.1.3?

i used the umbrella utility to get my SHSH files from cydia,and the blobs came back 3.1.3.

I just dont understand why cydia would save them as 3.1.3 which inturn makes me only able to choose 3.1.3 to restore thru itunes.

because of all this the phone wouldnt go anything for me until i restored,so now im stuck back to new updated BB and 3.1.3.

for future notice,i want to know what to do so this does not happen again.

f0recast shows me to be able to JB my phone still as long as i have my shsh saved,and I DO but nothing will JB this now....very confusing.

please someone help!

2. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

The answer to your question is this. All Saurik can do is generate the SHSH blobs for the firmware that Apple is currently signing. He has to query the Apple server with your phone's ID (same as Umbrella/Tiny TSS does), and the server then replies with these files which allow your phone to load that version of the firmware.

So it doesn't actually matter what firmware is on your phone when you do the query, what matters is what Apple is signing. And right now that is 3.1.3.

4. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

If you was on 3.0 and choose make my life easier.. And 3.1.3 was already released. U will not be able to stay at 3.0 because apple was only signing 3.1.3 at the time.. Now in the future. U will always be able to downgrade back to 3.1.3 even when 5.0 is released because saurik still has the keys saved on his server..

5. ROCKERDAN thread starter macrumors regular

so there is no way for anyone to RE-JB after a crash....even though i saved my SHSH to cydia.

so now in the future,will I ALWAYS be able to JB ONLY with 3.1.3 since that is the files i have saved on cydia......

that means i have to wait for a new JB and Unlock for 3.1.3.....but after that,anytime i have any issues like i did this time,i should be able to RE-JB easily...correct??

i assumed i could always JB this phone since i was on 3.1.0 when i bought it,but since it crashed i had no choice but to restore it with current FW,i just wish i could have figured out how to get it to BOOT UP before i was at wits end and had to restore with 3.1.3

anyone tell me my next step?....do i just have to wait for 3.1.3 to be broke and unlocked?....but then wont apple stop signing for 3.1.3 and i will then never be able to do it anyway?...very confusing!

thanks everyone

6. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Heres how it all works. In order to restore your phone to a particular firmware, iTunes contacts apple's servers to get SHSH certificates (unique to your device). If the SHSH files are valid, then iTunes goes ahead and restores to that firmware. But once an update is given out by apple (like 3.1.3), then they stop signing the old firmwares (like 3.1.2).

What cydia does is that once you click the 'make my life easier button', it contacts apple on your behalf, gets the SHSH certificates, and stores them on saurik's server. It does not generate these files, it relies on apple to generate, it only saves them. In the future, when you need to restore to the old firmware that apple wont sign, you make iTunes contact saurik's server instead (which has the SHSH certificates saved for that firmware).

But, you need to press that button before apple stops signing the old firmwares (Ex: Apple released 3.1.3 on Feb 15 (rough date), and stopped signing 3.1.2 on Feb 16). If you pressed 'make my life easier' button BEFORE the 16th, then, cydia can save these certificates (for 3.1.2), and provide them to you in the future so that you can restore back to 3.1.2 anytime you want to.

Your next step is to wait. There is no jailbreak or unlock for 3.1.3 released yet. But it will be released in the next few weeks (mostly, just a guess).

7. The General macrumors 601

All it means is that once Apple releases 3.2 or the next version, you'll be able to downgrade to 3.1.3.

Since you're already jailbroken, you can use pwnagetool or snow breeze to make a prejailbreaked 3.1.3 firmware package and install it with iTunes. That would restore your phone to a jailbreaked state.

8. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Its not already jailbroken. He restored to a stock 3.1.3 (including the baseband). There is no way to jailbreak right now.

9. The General macrumors 601

Oh, I thought he was still on 3.1 jailbreaked. Yep, all he can do is play the waiting game. Shouldn't take long, the combined 3.1.3 iPhone and 3.2 iPad jailbreak is already acheived. Will be out soon.

10. ROCKERDAN thread starter macrumors regular

first off thanks everyone for making this somewhat clearer for me!

so even though i WAS JBROKE before,i CANNOT JB again because i updated to 3.1.3 and im stuck now waiting.

so if i could go back in time,what was i supposed to do?....i had my JB,unlocked 3.1.0......then my phone started to crash,lose signal,and eventually got stuck in a infinite REBOOTING state...

if and when i can JB it again with 3.1.3,i will just restore to 3.1.3 right?....and then be ok.

it just seems odd that we can JB a phone,then cydia saves the NEW/CURRENT SHSH files....and then if we crash we cannot fix it!

so anyone who has crashed on a new JB is stuck waiting for the next FW to come out like me?

why do i see so many people JB there phones on youtube ect,then going back to stock phone,then RE-JB them to show people how to do it?....

either way,i think i understand......im stuck till 3.1.3 is broken,then forever after that i am able to JB it correct?.....you are all saying i WONT GET that (ineligible for this build) error.

thanks again

11. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Cydia saves the SHSH for every single firmware that you install AFTER you press the 'make my life easier' button. So, in the future, if you install 3.2, and then 4.0, you will have SHSH saved for 3.1.3, 3.2 AND 4.0. You can downgrade to any of those versions later. I have both, 3.1.2 and 3.1.3. Most people with early 3GS have SHSH saved all the way from 3.0 to 3.1.3.

12. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Cydia saves the SHSH file for the version that Apple will sign. There's no way around Apple's requirement here. If it only has 3.1.3 on file for you, it's because you didn't click "Make my life easier" until AFTER Apple had stopped signing 3.1.2. Sorry :(

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Your SHSH is not stored on your phone, and there is no way of calculating it without knowing the master key (a closely-guarded secret by Apple). All Cydia can do is request the SHSH from Apple's server and then cache it when it is returned. Therefore it is only possible to get your SHSH on file for a firmware version while Apple is still signing that firmware. Afterward is too late. The following are the last days on which it was possible to get SHSH for each version of iPhone OS:

iPhone OS 3.0: 9 Sep 2009
    iPhone OS 3.1: 10 Oct 2009
    iPhone OS 3.1.2: 3 Feb 2010

To be clear: the version of the OS you have on your phone has absolutely nothing to do with the version(s) of the OS for which you can have SHSH's on file. All that matters is whether Apple was still signing that firmware when you clicked "Make My Life Easier." People who clicked on Cydia on different dates will have different versions on file:

Before 9 Sep 2009: 3.0, 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3
    9 Sep 2009 - 10 Oct 2009: 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3
    10 Oct 2009 - 3 Feb 2010: 3.1.2, 3.1.3
    After 3 Feb 2010: 3.1.3

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Great explanation !

15. youngone16 macrumors newbie

:)

hi there isnt any chance that you could send me a copy of the 3.1.2 version plz :) my dad said i can have it if i can open it :)

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

SHSH blobs are unique to each 3GS, they will not work on any other 3GS.

17. PaIvA macrumors member

hi there!! first of all, many thanks for your great explanations!!

i have here a doubt:

i'm ussing an iphone 3gs running 3.1.3 ... when i bought it 2 weeks ago, i jailbreaked it with jailbreakme... when i opened cydia i hit "make my life easy"...

right now i have this in my cydia home sreen:

[​IMG]

for what i have read, i supposed that there was no more oportunity to save the SHSH files from 3.1.3 ... but what i think its odd is that in cydia i have all that versions... so, it is really true that i have all that 3 versions (4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2) stored in saurik's servers??

so if i wanted to do an upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1, is it possible? i can install 4.0.1 and use jailbreakme again to JB my iphone??

other question: yesterday i used tinyumbrella to save my SHSH on my pc: the file that was created has this name: "570527309229-iphone-4.0.2.shsh" . it doesn't have nothing like 4.0 or 4.0.1, just 4.0.2 ... that's why i'm scarred to do something wrong, that makes me update only to 4.0.2 and then no jailbreak...

so can you help me and give me some explanations please??
    is it safe to go to 4.0.1?
    if so, what should i do??

thank you very much... will be waiting for your awnsers....

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

With those hashes (saved by you or previous owner) you can upgrade to 4.0 or 4.0.1.
    Stay away from 4.0.2 as there is no jailbreak for it.

Use Tiny Umbrella to check which versions are saved on your computer.

Click Thumbnail for larger image

Attached Files:

19. PaIvA macrumors member

i bought the iphone brandnew, so i 'm his first owner... so no one could save SHSH files except me... and it possible if i have only installed 3.1.3, that i have SHSH saved for those 3 versions that cydia says i have??

In tinyumbrella, as you said to do, i have this message:
    [​IMG]

so, what should i do?? i have or i haven't the SHSHs for 4.0.1 ??

20. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Is it new or a refurb ? Is the 2nd digit of the serial number a "k" (indicates refurb). How many weeks have you had the phone ?

Someone started the hash saving and of course Cydia grabs all subsequent firmware hashes automatically.

You can pull the other two hashes from Saurik's servers to your computer, Use advanced settings, select Cydia and grab 4.0 and 4.0.1 hashes using the window to select the desired version.

21. bripab007 macrumors 6502

It is by no means odd that you jailbroke your 3.1.3 phone a few weeks ago and Cydia is showing 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 hashes on file for you. Cydia took the ECID from your phone when you clicked "Make my life easier," then ran that against Apple's signing servers whenever a new version came out for whatever versions they were signing at the time. Apple hasn't been signing 3.1.3 blobs for a while, hence Cydia was unable to get those on file for you. Cydia was, however, able to get your 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 hashes on file.

Tiny Umbrella runs on your local computer, and according to your screenshot, was only able to save 4.0.2 hashes for you, as Apple hasn't been signing 4.0 and 4.0.1 for a little while.

So, in order to upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1, I believe you'll have to redirect your local machine's host file to Cydia/Saurik's server(s) to fool iTunes. If you had been able to save your blobs a couple weeks ago using Tiny Umbrella, you'd have had the option instead to have Tiny Umbrella run its built-in TSS server to fool iTunes. Either way, you should be able to upgrade to 4.0.1 and then use jailbreakme.com.

22. PaIvA macrumors member

i did what you told me to do, and now on that image i can see that it says too:
    iphone 3gs 4.0.1
    iphone 3gs 4.0

23. PaIvA macrumors member

So once again i ask you if is it safe to upgrade my 3gs 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 ...

i have been reading a lot of things: people say it is safe, to do it without fear...some others say that don't think i really got the SHSH saved to iOS4 (.0/.0.1/.0.2) , because the only firmware installed is 3.1.3 so it makes no sence to get the SHSH for a firmware that was never installed on my iphone...

so, what should i do? upgrade/not upgrade??

what is the real truth???

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

PaIvA: the previous owner of your phone clearly got your ECID on file while 4.0 was still being signed, i.e., before July 15. You're now all set for future versions, and can indeed upgrade to 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.0.2. I would recommend 4.0, myself; there's really no reason to go any higher.

Anyone who is saying this does not understand how SHSH and the on-file system work. The version of the OS installed on your phone has absolutely no bearing on what SHSH can be saved. Once you send him your ECID, Saurik can (and will) request the SHSH for any version Apple is currently signing, regardless of what firmware you have installed. He does this by imitating an install request as it would come from iTunes if you tried to restore to that version. Again, it has nothing to do with your phone; it all happens between Saurik's server and Apple's signature server.

Note also that, despite the fact that you have 3.1.3 installed, you do not have your 3.1.3 SHSH. This is because your ECID got on file after June 21, when Apple stopped signing 3.1.3 and started signing only 4.0. Again, Saurik can only request SHSH for versions currently being signed by Apple, regardless of the version on your phone. If you can no longer restore to a version, Saurik can't get the SHSH for it.

25. PaIvA macrumors member

ok i understood perfectly your explanation!! thanks!!

i just can't figured out this that you said: "the previous owner of your phone clearly got your ECID on file while 4.0 was still being signed, i.e., before July 15. You're now all set for future versions, and can indeed upgrade to 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.0.2.", because i bought it on a store, it was sealed, i activate myself the iphone via iTunes, so it wouldn't be loggic that i could only have SHSH for 4.0.2 (the only firmware i think that apple is signing in the moment??)