Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M!K

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Canada
Hey guys!

I'm stuck between Macbook and the pro, I like being able to max out the macbook, get 2 software packages and the 2 year warrenty for $2000, instead of just picking up the lowest end macbook pro.

So I'm curious: How many of you own a Macbook? And why did you choose the macbook over the pro?

Thanks,

Josh

I have a MacBook Pro 15'' and i love it. I really wouldn't want a MacBook because:
The screen is way too small.
I love my MBP'S power.
My MBP is just perfect for transport (not too big and heavy)
The keyboard is backbit which is sooo useful for me. I love it.
And less important... i love the aluminium enclosure. It doesn't get dirty. And is sooo beautiful

And even if you choose the ''lower-end'' MBP. Let's admit it has big power!!!
So I would really suggest you a MacBook Pro. It's the best portable computer on Earth! I love it and i'm sure you wouldn't regret it.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
I hope they release a MBP 13 inch one in Macworld. I really really like the aluminum casing of the MBP, but I don't need the power or the dedicated graphics since I don't game at all....and 15 inches is overkill for my purposes...I could compromise with a blackbook but I'm waiting to see what happens after Macworld. I would hate to get a blackbook now only to see this new computer come out 2 weeks later....

DLS

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
Couldn't justify the cost of the MBP.

I picked up a macbook (the $1299 version) just before Christmas as a gift to myself. Could have afforded the $2K MBP but decided that I couldn't justify the additional $700. Don't play games or edit movies, so don't need the graphics capability of the MBP. The additional ~.8 inch of additional vertical screen height of the MBP wasn't a deal maker, I like the smaller size/weight of the 13" MB for carrying around, and the MP runs cooler, which makes it more comfortable for actual 'laptop' use. Everyone has their preferences, those were some of mine (it was also a switch from a WinTell notebook, so I don't have to use Windoze at home).

BIK

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Price wasn't really an issue for me, I wanted to get what I wanted.

I'm not a gamer.

I value portability.

I needed an upgrade from my iBook G4.

The Blackbook SR 2.2ghz was exactly what I needed.

Its portable, my friend's 15" MBPro seems bulky and ungainly to me. And the SR chipset gets you 2.2ghz of core 2 duo power with a max of 4 gigs of RAM.

For the exclusivity, I got mine in black.

Very happy with my decision, runs Dreamweaver, Safari, Photoshop, Azureus, Mail, and instant messanger all at once without a hiccup.

<3 my Blackbook

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Price wasn't really an issue for me, I wanted to get what I wanted.

Hmm. I went to an Apple Store and placed a MacBook on top of a MacBook Pro - hardly any difference in the footprint, owing to the MacBook Pro's thinner screen bezel and better all-round management of space, I guess. There's not much in the weight either.

Considering the MacBook Pro packs in a 15 inch screen and whatever else (and is thinner!) I didn't think there'd be much in the day-to-day wielding of an MBP compared to an MB... I'll be swapping out my MB for a MBP this Jan, hope it's a good move!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Price and the fact that its smaller. I don't need an expensive laptop as its only for college work, sitting downstairs to browse the web, etc.

I dont do any "hard core" gaming. Just Firefox, Photoshop, Smultron and sometimes GTA San Andreas and OpenTTD

Cant see the point in spending another £500+ for a slightly bigger screen.

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
I love my MBP and will never buy a MacBook. Maybe a third rev MacBook Air, but not a MacBook unless it's made of aluminium.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
For me the only real difference wouldhave been the graphics card, and for my use, it would not have warranted the $700 difference.

Dadeleine

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Vancouver
my reason?

aluminum case = weaker wifi
didn't need the fancy video card (I edit Avid on my blackbook)
don't notice a monster difference between 13" and 15" screen.
price
the word Pro sounds geeky.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Why I sold my MB and got a MBP

Better graphics card (biggest reason)
At the time, the MBP supported more RAM (though that's not valid now)
Express card slot, though it was doubtful I'd use it
Gadget envy...I just loved the look of the MBP.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I chose the white MacBook because of the small size and of the price but now thinking about it I should of gotten the pro but the MacBook is the family computer so it is good for everyone bit me.
I need a bigger screen a graphics card and a bigger hdd but that's just me.

ChrisN

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I saved $$$ and made my MacBook more powerful than base Pro model. I'm mostly using it for recording, and there's no advantage to the Pro in that area other than screen size. However, I prefer smaller size for portability anyway and I like the style more. The White MacBook looks so much more unique and "futuristic". I do wish the MacBook's had backlit keyboards tho.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
I have a MBP. It's a great all-around laptop.

However, for my next laptop, I might consider a MB - I just wish it handled 1440x900 resolution.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
I got the MacBook because my Dad wouldn't let me get the Pro model. I was a little bitter then but now I see that the one I have is perfectly fine.:)

catfish743

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Kentucky
I want to buy a macbook because I have an iMac and I don't need the power. If you don't have another somewhat powerful computer then I would go with the Pro. But otherwise I think the macbook would be good enough.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I already had a powerful desktop (iMac) and only needed a small portable computer for on the go. I would have gotten a 12" PB but the premiums for what you get wasn't worth it to me, especially considering the fact that for £100 extra i could get a MacBook......so i did

If i didnt have the iMac however then i'd have gone for the MBP

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
Well, besides the price, I didn't really need the Pro's extra hardware since all I wanted a laptop for was to surf,blog and chat in between classes (i get 3 hour breaks sometimes and it can be a hell of a wait).

Also, whatever intensive stuff I want to do (like gaming!) can be done on my Vista desktop at home, so there wasn't a need for the Pro's hardware.

But I think it was in most part, the price of the MBP :D

But I love my MB anyway.:apple:

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
My reasons seem to be the same that most of the other people have:

Smaller size
Cheaper price

But on the other hand I'm sending my MacBook back, because the display is broken. So I have a chance to reconsider. Last week I saw MBA for the first time and it's quite tempting to spend some more money and get one of those :)

Time will tell which Mac notebook I choose this time.

macmadandproud

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Well for me, it was simple... can I get a macbook pro that looks nearly as cool as my macbook? :D

macbook.jpg

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
So I'm curious: How many of you own a Macbook? And why did you choose the macbook over the pro?

I only do very minor video editing, I don't play games and since I travel with my computer every day, I wanted the most portable computer Apple offered.

A 12 inch MBP could've possibly swayed me, but definitely never goin' with the MBAir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.