Why did you choose to buy an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacBH928, Nov 15, 2013.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

In a world where people would buy an iPad mini because they feel the iPad Air is too big , I was wondering why did any of you choose to get the iMac?

I am an iMac guy myself, but carrying a laptop around is so much more convenient . I no longer need a desktop setup because I do not work on video, images, or web publishing. I used to look for the extra screen size for such matter. I also understand that Macs in general are more expensive than PCs, yet on the gaming side they under deliver aka you can build a much better spec PC with less money than an iMac (My '08 macbook has difficulty playing Left4Dead which was released same year) .

As more people moved from desktop to laptop , and from laptop to iPads, and for some their smartphone satisfies their internet needs I am worried the desktop market might be dying.

2. IA64, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

IA64 macrumors 6502

First I need a desktop machine so I bought the iMac because :

- Best all in one PC in its range
    - Silent Machine for a bedroom
    - Very fast ( upper specs )
    - Stunning screen
    - Great design
    - Top notch build quality
    - Can dual boot ( OSX and Bootcamp )
    - Online and hotline support
    - Excellent resell value ( double point )
    - Can run any game ( COD, BF4,etc.. ) if you are a serious gamer
    - Extended warranty

And the list is endless...

Edit: Touch devices will never replace desktops. I have yet to image someone working with CAD or any other professional suit on a touch screen.

Touch devices are cool if you need to browse the internet, read/edit documents/emails, listen to music or watch movies. I'd rather be concerned about the laptop vs tablets in the near future.

3. Bear macrumors G3

I'm actually using an iMac and an iPad - no laptop. I'm a photographer so the iMac screen is real nice for that.

Also, when you configure a PC and add a display similar to the what the iMac has, the price difference is rather small.

And finally no need to deal with Windows.

4. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I used MacBooks with Apple Displays for quite awhile. I switched to iMac because it gave me the same setup with way more power, and at home I was working at the desk 99% of the time. You said it yourself: you don't have any use for a bigger screen, and prefer the portability. I like the bigger screen for working on my websites/school, playing games, or doing music stuff. I did grab a MBA off craigslist, which I mainly for my grad program. I'd like to see how it does running software for my Roland kit though. I tried the iPad + keyboard setup but it just wasn't for me.

Also, +1 on what Bear said. I'm not really seeing this substantial Windows discount everyone talks about versus comparable machines.

5. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Only stationary macs in my household. iMac and Mac mini and a lot of ipads.. No laptops. Well.. i got a windows laptop but thats doesn't count.. Got it from work and only use it when working.

6. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

1) All-in-one design is convenient, compact, less cables, less clutter compared to "towers". My bedroom is not huge, so a space-saving design (21" iMac ftw!) is perfect.

2) iMac screen is gorgeous to me. Well at least the late-2012 model that I have.

3) I'm not a serious gamer (these days). So a power-tower is not a necessity. Neither is a Windows PC (which IMHO would be a necessity if I were a die-hard gamer, which I am not). For all other needs (word processing, Internet, email, chat, multimedia, light-moderate gaming, integration with iPhone/iPod/iTunes/etc, FaceTime, photo editing) the iMac is a more than capable machine.

4) Yes, it's "more expensive" than a comparable-hardware Windows machine. But I like the MacOSX ease of use and integration. I don't balk at the price. I have a good job that allows me to afford Apple products. Do you ever hear doctors or lawyers complaining about "how so-freakin expensive" their brand new Lexus or BMW is? Of course you don't. That's because they can afford one. So the price was never a personal issue for them.

Same situation for me. If the price of Apple's products were an issue for me, then I might have stayed away from them. But that's not the case for me. To each his own.

7. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I bought an iMac because it lined up perfectly for my needs. I needed a nice desktop computer that I could use for both my schoolwork and recreation. Handles all my programming like a dream, and Final Cut also runs like a champ. I wanted an all in one because I wanted another screen (3 total).

My next computer will be a Mac Pro, but that will come after I graduate and start to have a solid income. Until then, my iMac will suit me just fine!

8. DanTSX, Nov 15, 2013

DanTSX macrumors regular

Simple.....

That big, beautiful screen. No clutter.

I do have mobile needs, but those are served fine by iPad and iPhone. I can't be too productive sitting on he sofa, so having the iMac anchored to the desk isn't that much of an issue. Although I am feeling the need for a lighter duty OSX notebook like an 11" MBA to fill the considerable gap between iOS and OSX.

9. propower, Nov 15, 2013

propower macrumors 6502a

Fastest CPU in a mac available today
    True desktop quad core
    2nd best heat sinking and thermal performance (only MP better)
    Great screen
    Quiet enough for recording studio computer
    Multiple TB ports
    700MB/s internal storage
    Fastest RAM in a mac today (32G possible - I have 8G x2 today)
    $2500

All in all a great machine for me...
    Of course I have ipad, iphone and laptop too... but that is for other stuff!

10. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I bought it because it is just a bit more than I needed for graphic and web design. Screen real estate was probably the biggest factor. Aesthetically pleasing in my work environment. Was cheaper than a Mac Pro, which was too much for my needs as I do not do serious video or audio rendering.

Not a gamer. I also prefer working in the OS X environment, plus it works well with all my other Apple products. Does not clutter my desk.

If the desktop goes by the wayside I would be very surprised. It is a very much used tool in some industries.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-I mainly sit at desk when on a computer
    -I need large screen size for older eyes

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I bought two iMacs (21.5" and 27" Haswells, both maxed out) because I needed a bigger screen. The 15" MBPs (retina and non-retina) that I have just aren't big enough for my needs sometimes, such as editing panoramas and doing 4K video.

Besides I needed the extra power of the iMacs. And also to play games in all the glory of the 27" display :D

13. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I need/want a desktop computer and a portable. The portable device used to be a MacBook but became an iPad1. The desktop has been a MacMini since 2009 but will most likely be a new iMac. The iMac has great power vs cost and fabulous 27 inch screen. In this setup it's the MacBook which has been replaced not the desktop device. The iPad Air vs Mini debate is about how portable, a friend of mine switched to an iPad Mini from iPad as it fits inside a jacket pocket without the need to carry a seperate "man bag".

14. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Agreed.

Saying that the iPads/tablets will "replace" the desktops and make them go away….. is about as silly as saying that compact (fuel-efficient) automobiles will make large heavy-duty pickup trucks go away.

15. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

it sure is great to hear that the desktop market still lives , but I wonder how large is it. I really would like to get the iMac but truth is I do not have a use for it. Plus sitting on the desk gives me back-pain.

It would be like buying a boat with no sea access.

No , you see, people who used to want to log on the internet to use messenger and check emails used to buy desktops because that was their only option. As laptops got cheaper + portability , many people switched to the laptop options and that is very clear as the past few years the macbook sale numbers having been much higher than the iMacs . Recently, with the release of tablets and smartphones many people decided they no longer need a laptop. Their iPad does everything they used to buy a desktop for including email, games, chat, browsing, and even Netflix.

I was wondering if this will cause the desktop market like the iMac to go stagnant, because we all know that Apple has ignored the Mac Pro line for a very very long time (I believe the current design is almost 10 years old?) . Compare that with the 90's-> 2000 where these machine have been upgraded annually .

16. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

So you know people using the full-featured Adobe Photoshop on their iPad? And then creating professional graphics on the iPad, to submit to a professional Advertising Agency?

I think you don't get it. A full-featured desktop PC/Mac can still do many things a tablet currently cannot.

My cousin works for an ad agency. And you know what his workplace Mac is connected to? Let me tell you. It's connected to print on a $4000 professional graphics art printer. The kind that prints out professional quality posters and proofs, etc. Can an iPad or a Kindle do that?

[​IMG]

If you have no need for a desktop, then don't buy one. But do realize that even if desktop sales are decreasing these days, they will never entirely go away. Many careers, many industries, and many multimedia pros still need them for professional uses.

[​IMG]

17. jita1 macrumors newbie

I'm glad you asked. I'm a musician, singer, songwriter, producer and wanted to switch to a DAW to finish my CD. I had been using a TASCAM. I decided on Pro Tools and my PC wasn't powerful or reliable enough to handle the job. I'd always wanted a Mac so I picked up an iMac. I liked it so much, I wanted a Mac as my everyday, do everything else computer so I got a MacBook Pro. I haven't looked back.

----------

I totally get it. Nice set up!

18. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I say similar things about the iPad. It sure looks cool and I want one but does it really have a purpose in my life? What would I do with it? Well, after living with a Surface for the last year, I can honestly say… nothing. I already have the best iOS device, the iPhone. It fits in my pocket and I get all that I need from it when I'm on the go. When I'm at home I have a MBP.

I've been living without an iMac for about a month now. At first it was painful but over time I realized I could do most things with the MBP. The only thing I really do miss - and it's a big one - is playing games. My MBP just doesn't have the horsepower, nor does it have the screen real estate to do that.

I have run into a problem with the new iMac I ordered so Apple is sending me a replacement. If that one has the same problem I'm likely to just return both and wait a few more months.

I understand the arguments for and against having a desktop. I don't think there's a real right or wrong answer. It just depends on that person's needs.

19. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

@Solomani

Those are very nice machines you posted but I believe you are misunderstood me. I am not against the desktop market, I was just looking at who is still buying the iMacs that is all. I realise there are those who need them for work , but I was merely stating that in comparison to say like '99 when ever computer user had a desktop , today we see people who are fine with just an iPad. I am not saying a laptop or an iPad is replacing the desktop's work , but many have made the switch to a product that fits their needs better. I am just looking at who and why people are still getting the desktops and I am happy that the market still lives. To be honest, I opened this thread because I was afraid the desktop market was dying...

I would love to hear from more people about why they chose the iMac (and maybe did not choose Mac Pro)

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

You stated that you thought the desktop market (which include iMacs) was dying. That's a very unrealistic outlook. You are predicting the desktop market to die soon? No way. The desktop market is decreasing… it is dwindling… but it will never die completely, at least not in the foreseeable future. The reasons that they won't die any time soon is because of the reasons I stated above…. they are NEEDED for professional work like professional graphics, professional audio, professional video editing, and for situations where you need a big screen.

And THAT is the reason they cannot die any time soon. Apple is not stupid, Apple has deep ties to professional graphics and multimedia industries. They understand this. So put your fears to rest. Desktop sales may be lower these days, but they will not disappear.

iPads are fine devices for things like internet surfing, email, chat, FaceTime, Twitter, playing mobile games, etc. That's fine, and I also plan to get an iPad Mini soon. But just because the iPads and tablets are seeing success and increasing popularity…. does not translate to the death and disappearance of desktops (e.g. iMacs, Mac Pros, even Windows PCs).

Up above, I already stated my reasons for buying and using the iMac specifically. Above in post #6.

21. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Video editing with Final Cut Pro (But now I'm using Premiere Pro CC) and an 11" MacBook Air which is the perfect companion for the iMac while I'm editing.

And yeah, when you talk about the iPad mini and iPad Air, I had an iPad 3 and sold it as soon as the iPad mini Retina was announced, and mine arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. It's perfect. The problem I had with the iPad 3 was I thought it was too close to the 11" MBA, I wanted something between my iPhone and MBA, so the iPad mini is the perfect size.

22. kialua macrumors newbie

I use it for graphic design also, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. The bigger the screen the better. I do a lot on my macbook but the minute fudging I have to do is a pain in the neck on the laptop.

23. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

For me it came down to space. At the moment I am living in a small space and the iMac suits my needs. It gives me alot of desk space and it doesn't throw any heat what so ever and its VERY silent !!! I cant even hear it running at all.

24. Serban Suspended

i still do stuff that i can't do on ipad/iphone, i like the design, i like the software, i like the best all in one with one cable idea, i like it has the best dGPU, nice screen, i think the best speakers from all in one sector.But i like the idea to have almost all the Apple product segment because for me all are doing a certain job.

25. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

I'm the opposite - I'm the one that sticks with a Mac Pro.

Positives:

- I do a lot of stuff with DVDs. The Mac Pro takes two 5.25" DVD drives, which are faster than the one laptop-style drive that an iMac has.

- With a Mac Pro, I can have my SSD for a startup drive, along with my 2Tb and 4Tb drives for data and video files.

- I'm currently using an old Dell 24" LCD, but will probably be ordering a 30" Dell U3014 today.

- Love the ports on the front. Easy access.

Negatives:

- The Mac Pro setup takes up more desk space and has more cords.

- No USB 3 or Thunderbolt as standard.

- It's easy to upgrade the processors in a Mac Pro, but I'm going to need to do that to get my Mac Pro up to current speeds.

- Cost - a current/near current iMac 27" goes for around $2,000 refurbished. Bargain.