Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
If you were stuck between the two, why did you choose the iPad Air over the Retina mini?

JGWolven

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
No compromise. The whole premise of weight and portability is a non issue to me. The Air weighs a pound. I take it to work every day. It's more of a hassle to bring my wallet than to bring my ipad around wherever I may go.

The.Dude

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2013
More real estate for my map screen which gives me better situational awareness, bigger charts, more screen real estate for media and reading while not sacrificing any battery time and adding not a whole lot of weight and size compared to the 2,3, and 4.

edit- for example, here is my Air on my kneeboard rig (far from my face). I wouldn't get near as much information on screen as I do with the Air, the weight and bit of added size is negligible to me.

Pardon the dark photos, I'm packing for tomorrow and it's a bit dark in my room.

http://imgur.com/a/VOqiz

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
better for the eyes with the bigger screen when I'm reading on the subway.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I bought the first mini and ended up selling it. I saw no point in the size of it between my iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

I preferred the bigger iPad 4. I went back to using it after the newness of the mini wore off. The mini wasn't being used so I sold it. Therefore, I didn't consider the retina mini.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I can read on the iPad Air without my glasses. Also we use the iPad for the kids movies in the back seat so it makes for a bit larger display for them. The form factor of the mini is amazing though.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
For me, more screen real estate. My iPhone satisfies the portability need so I enjoy the larger (and superior color) display. Also, with the Air only weighing 1lb and slimming up in every dimension, it is no longer cumbersome or bulky. I think it is actually quite portable. I take it with me all the time and it's weight often goes unnoticed. :)

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I had the Mini for a year. Not only was the price more appealing, but I thought the iPad 3 and 4 were really bulky compared to the Mini.

I wanted to use it for work, but the things I needed it for (handwriting, touch typing), were not as easy as I thought it would be. I thought it might've just been a tablets thing, in general, but I suspected it may have been due to the size. Part of that was because I needed to type on my lap, and the was not stable sitting in my lap. I thought if the rumors were true that the 5th gen iPad would be thinner and lighter, I'd give it a shot.

I purchased it online the night it released, but I thought I'd try it in-store to really make up my mind. I spent a good 20 minutes going back and forth between the display Mini and the display Air just typing and using a stylus on it for handwriting, and I felt it was MUCH easier on the bigger screen. I decided to keep it after it's done so well for me and I actually like the bigger screen for reading.

Last edited:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I never spent enough time with a Mini, so my decisions is based on the devil I know rather than the devil I don't.

I was set it buy the next generation Mini, then the Air came out. The reduction in weight and size was very significant. I remember being in the Apple store waiting for my turn at the Mini display table. Then I noticed that the other table appeared to have both the Mini and the Air on the same table. It took me a minute to realize that they were the old iPad and the Air!

Sure, the Air is still bigger than the Mini, but its weight and size is a lot less objectionable than the previous generation iPad. While the Mini is a bit more portable, I don't mind the weight and size of the Air as I don't take it with me everywhere. I use it mostly at home and it seems having it on my lap or at a table the weight make not a difference and while the size helps a lot.

Sure, I often wonder if I would enjoy reading with the Mini because it is much more portable. But the thing is I don't have any issue reading with the Air, and I love everything else it does. I am not willing to give those up for something that the Mini may do better.

Last but not least, I am an avid photographer. The Air has better color and it is a very important factor to me.

smacman

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Although the size of the mini is enticing, the magical thing about an iPad for me is holding the web in your fingertips. For me the decision was simple. The experience of browsing web content is far better on the Air.

In summary though, I agree with what most reviewers have said. It all depends on what you use an iPad for.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
It's more of a hassle to bring my wallet than to bring my ipad around wherever I may go.

:Baller:

make-it-rain-guys.gif

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I bought the original mini when it came out, and while it was very light and easy to carry, I kept missing the bigger screen. Almost everything is easier on a bigger screen -- text is easier to read, games are easier to play, videos are more immersive, keyboard is easier to type. The only advantage the mini had over the iPad 3 was weight. The Air reduced the weight just enough that for me, it's no longer worth it to compromise on all the other things when I can just carry the Air.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I bought the original mini when it came out, and while it was very light and easy to carry, I kept missing the bigger screen. Almost everything is easier on a bigger screen -- text is easier to read, games are easier to play, videos are more immersive, keyboard is easier to type. The only advantage the mini had over the iPad 3 was weight. The Air reduced the weight just enough that for me, it's no longer worth it to compromise on all the other things when I can just carry the Air.

spot on the money

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Isn't the answer fairly obvious? Other than the whole "Colour Gamut" thing, raised by Anand's excellent review, they're absolutely identical and thus size and weight are the differentiating factors. Reduced size and weight, rather obviously, helps things like reading but may cause people to say it's "too small" for watching video. Conversely, people will choose the Air over the Mini for a perceived "richer" web-browsing experience (I do not subscribe to this view) and watching video, but may cause people to say it's "too big" for reading and carrying around.

Those who are undecided will obviously have to throw the dice and take a gamble on the factors mentioned, but I suspect most people won't care (apart from the techie lot on this forum who do care and spend countless hours wasting away the only finite resource in everyone's life: time).

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It's all about inches. Even though the screen sizes seem close they really aren't. The Air has like 50% more viewing area than the mini which is a HUGE difference.

Portability isn't a huge issue for me personally and it's not like the Air is heavy or cumbersome.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The difference to me is the larger viewing area combined with larger text. On the Air, I can read the Macrumors forum in portrait without having to squint or hold the device close to my face. On the mini, that would put a serious strain on my eyes. I pretty much have to surf the net in landscape, but then I don't see the same amount of a webpage from top to bottom as I would in portrait. And because even in landscape the text is quite small, I end up holding the mini much closer to my face which over extended periods of time doesn't make it any more comfortable than the Air to hold.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I prefer the larger screen for multiple reasons. I've never been able to talk myself into the mini although I thought I might want it once it got the retina screen. I rarely want to browse the internet when out and have the iPhone 5 if I want to look something up. My Kindle Paperwhite is the device I take with me to use during down time.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The big reason I went Air over Mini. The iPhone 6. Because The larger your phone is the less you need a small tablet.

Think about it, the whole reason people justify a small tablet is because of portability. But, a larger iPhone is likely 11mo away so IF you're going to upgrade then how likely are you going to also need an ultra portable tablet?

I originally intended on getting a Retina Mini but I think long term the Air + iPhone 6 combo is the better choice (for me).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

another +1. For the extra $100, I'll take the Air. I even found a way to use the prior Logitech Keyboard I have as it now fits "in the pit" and it is compatible for use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.