Why did you, or why you didn't get apple care ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, Apr 11, 2012.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

Please tell me why did you, or why you didn't get apple care ??
    Why was it, or was not worth it to get it ??

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

I got it because it extends my phone support and warranty for a year.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You may never need it, in which case it may feel like a waste of money. But if you do need it, you really...do. In that case it will pay off in no time. To me it is a matter related to one's peace of mind.

4. negativzero macrumors 6502a

As Forrest Gump would say, "**** happens!", it nothing happens for you then good, else you probably have to stump up more money than you can afford sometimes.

I've changed my logic board, super drive and chiclet keyboard so AppleCare has more than made up its worth for me. Now I'm living with a frankenstein of a MacBook :)

5. trikky macrumors regular

Why do you buy home insurance? That's pretty much all Applecare is...insurance against bad things happening. I got it because I want it. You should buy it if you want it, but don't if you aren't too concerned about anything happening to your computer in years 2 & 3.

6. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

I bought Apple Care with my MBP and for 2 years I didn't think I needed it, until the day where my logic board died on me...that day I was very happy about having bought Apple Care!

7. botchok5 macrumors newbie

Mine paid off within 8 months. (Logic board problems as always!!!!) Luckily mine only costed me £48 when I got my laptop with educational discount.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

If the fault occurred within 8 months then extended AppleCare didn't pay off. The normal 1 year warranty covers that.

9. Xikum macrumors 6502

Im a student and get Applecare for £50. If you are spending £1000 on a computer, its well worth an extra £50 to protect it.

Getting an Apple computer repaired is ridiculously expensive. It just isnt worth the risk.

10. Virgule82 macrumors newbie

I did not get it because it doesn't give you anything that European warranty law does not already give you. If you buy a mac in Europe AppleCare is a waste of money. I would seriously consider it if I lived in e.g. the US.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

AppleCare is really pricey, and plus if my computer ever breaks, it's always after a warranty is over.

12. bigjobby macrumors 65816

As a (UK) student, you would've got a 3 year complimentary warranty (1yr phone support). By paying out ~£50, you are in essence extending phone support by a further 2 years. Just clarifying. :)

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I didn't buy it because extended warranties are a waste of $$.

14. iforbes macrumors 6502

I got it largely because it was only $95 with the purchase of MacBook Pro from B&H...couldn't pass up that deal!

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I have never purchased apple care for my iPhone or iPad or iPods. I've always been a careful person (not the sort to drop them or anything) so have always saved my money. Ive not had a problem upto now. I will however be buying it for my new iMac (when they finally release the 2012 model). It's going to be my first Mac (so I will need all the support I can get!) and there is a lot more that can go wrong on a computer. Also at £1000 plus it costs a lot more and should be lasting longer than I expect for a phone or pad.

16. c.hack macrumors newbie

I have spent tens of thousands of $ on gadgets ( PCs, iPhones, TVs, etc ) and have yet to need an extend warranty. I figure I have saved myself a few grand. It's just more practical for m to self- insure.

17. hafr macrumors 68030

I didn't get it since I'm already covered for everything that might happen to/with it that Apple Care covers.

I've asked a few salesmen if they themselves would buy extended warranties when they try to sell them to me. If they tell me 'yes', I leave and take my business elsewhere. A sales pitch is one thing and I get why they want me to buy it, but for a salesperson to either look me in the eye and lie to me, or being that ignorant about consumer rights, that just puts me off. Not the kind of person I want to give money to.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Never got it for any of my iPhones because I usually upgrade after a year so the Apple standard warranty is enough

Got it for my MBP 15" because I planned on keeping that for 3 to 4 years. I bought it in 2009 and Applecare just expired last week. The only thing I ever took it in for was a replacement battery which probably would have been covered regardless. But I had it for peace of mind I guess.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I didn't get it for my MBP at the time of purchase because I'm still digging myself out of a year of unemployment debt and just couldn't afford it at the time. Hopefully in the next year I'll be able to scrape together some money and do it, but am fine for now.

20. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I didn't because I judge that if my mac doesn't fail during its first year it will be Ok then. This is exactly what happened with my MBP.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

22. lexdiamonnyc macrumors member

before I converted to Mac, my wife's(who'd been a Mac person since the 90's) Macbook suddenly died on her.......something happened where they couldn't get parts so they gave her a brand new Macbook no questions asked.........after that, I was sold!!! I have yet to need applecare, but have bought it for every apple device I own:D

it's really not expensive, costs less than a business lunch in NYC or a night out with the little woman;)

23. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I don't buy it, or any other extended warranty, because every company that sells extended warranties pushes so hard to sell them to us. Obviously, the reason they push them so hard is because they are such great money-makers for the company. The fact that they make so much money for the company tells me that they are a waste of my money.

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hardly. Do you not buy health insurance because it's a waste of money? They same principle applies here. It's a good thing to buy because if you need any hardware replacement on the machine, chances are it'll cost more than AppleCare would have. Sure, many of those who buy AppleCare will never use it's benefits, but they have the benefit of the peace of mind that if there's a problem, it'll be covered. I don't think the odds of avoiding a major problem are quite good enough to justify not getting AppleCare.

jW

25. hafr macrumors 68030

Them being a good cash cow for the company only means they could lower the price of them, not that they're a waste of your money.