Why didn't ATT give me a local area code?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Oct 7, 2011.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

My wife and I just got our numbers assigned, and they gave us Virgin Islands area codes. We live in Minnesota. No clue why they wouldn't give us a local area code, or even the option to choose them like Verizon does. Is this going to be a problem?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

There was no option to choose area codes on the AT&T preorder that I saw. Verizon OTOH lets you pick both the area code and the prefix.

That said, I don't see why I should have to ask a major telecom company to give me an area code local to where the device is being set up. You'd think that would be common sense.

4. LagFighter macrumors regular

5. mountainman macrumors member

mountainman

Is it possible you just missed it? I ordered mine this morning and they asked which of the area codes in my state that I preferred.

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Perhaps, but going through the order process again just to see, I still don't see it on AT&T's site. Just an option to transfer my old number (which I didn't have, was living overseas, new service with AT&T), or get a new one:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cart/?_requestid=22840

FTR, I don't see any such option on the page prior, either:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku5370398

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Not why didn't you ask them to give you a local area code. Why didn't you ask them why they didn't?

I would have.

8. Bartboy919 macrumors member

Bartboy919

The phone number is supposed to be based on your AT&T account billing address.

9. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

On hold for 25+ minutes now. If they try to charge me for it (google tells me I can change it for $36 per line [got two lines, so F that]), I'll probably just tell them I'll be refusing delivery. They have been nothing but a pain in the ass for the 16 hours I've had them.

First it was identity verification, which considering I'm a new customer and have no secret questions or anything set up, all they could ask me was the same information that I put in the order form (SSN, Birthday, etc) which is completely nonsensical, seeing as if I were a scammer, I would be able to verbally confirm the stolen information I put in the order form to begin with since they just asked for the same info the scammer would've had to begin with but that's another issue...but that was a big hassle too, had to actually read the AT&T email to two different people who had no idea what to do, get transferred four times, one of which routed me back to the initial menu and didn't transfer me at all. Finally got it sorted out, but then they couldn't tell me if I would still get my phone on the 14th or if it was now going to slip to 14-21 days (ordered at 3:30 AM). Now I get the order processing email, and find Virgin Island area codes, which obviously will be a problem for anyone calling me who doesn't have free long distance.

Pretty stupid.

10. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Well this is certainly juicy.

After several transfers, it's been discovered that not only did they give me Virgin Islands area codes, but they in fact belong to someone else and are part of someone else's AT&T account!

They have no idea what to do. On hold again.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Switch to Verizon or Sprint? LOLOL.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hmm. On the floor of a stock exchange, this would probably be an example of what is known there as a fat-fingered trade. I suspect by the time they straighten it out you might be in the backordered category for real.

13. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I was torn between going with Verizon or AT&T. I had AT&T ten years ago and had no problems until they merged with Cingular and then they were really rude when they sent me a $200 phone bill for calls made out of state when I was in class, and they wouldn't budge, so since my contract was up by that point I just fired them on the spot and went to Verizon and never looked back, and had good service until I moved to Japan a few years ago. Now I'm back, and I wanted Verizon, but I didn't want to give up the extra speed from AT&T's network so I ended up giving AT&T a shot.

She's telling me now that if they can't fix it, they will have to cancel the whole thing. That's fine, as long as they actually cancel it on their end and don't screw up and two or three months down the road I end up with a delinquent AT&T bill in collections ruining my flawless credit. So even if they cancel it, I'll have to check up with them for the next few months to make sure they really did.

The holding continues.

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

You might have better luck going into a store tomorrow. I got an unacceptable answer about my texting when I called today, so when I get the phone I'm going to head to the store and say, "Either reinstate my $10 for 1000 texts plan on both my lines and happily take my $20 per month, or removing texting altogether and do without the fee, because I do NOT need $30 worth of unlimited texting."

It really doesn't matter which option they choose - I'll still win.

15. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Just got off the phone. After many transfers, much runaround, blah blah, they gave me area codes and numbers for the northern part of Minnesota, which compared to the Twin Cities where I live, is still long distance and still no good. At this point I had to spell out the area code options for them and have them change the numbers again, and they finally did.

So now I finally have correct area codes and numbers.

I asked if she could send me an email with all of the new, correct information for peace of mind and my records, but apparently her department isn't authorized to send emails (what the hell?). I then asked if I could get a confirmation number, because I never got one to begin with, and they said I couldn't, that the confirmation email was all they send, that they don't send confirmation numbers. Well that's fine, but they aren't willing to/can't send me a new updated confirmation email with correct info so I again am pissing into the wind. I then asked when I'd get my phones, they didn't have an answer for that either...though she said I should still get them on the 14th, but they weren't sure.

So all in all, my order is in, the numbers are correct, I have no proof of anything, and all I can do now is sit tight and wait for the shipping email, then spend the next 2-3 months checking back with AT&T and my account and making sure my plan and service and account are all correct yadda yadda.

What a crock, and a waste of Friday night.