iPhone XR Why do I always say I’m skipping this year’s upgrade...

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
and then when that time rolls around, I just can’t seem to help myself but upgrade?

I have absolutely planned to keep my XR and not upgrade, but, with the keynote getting so close, I find myself being tempted...

Of course I also toy with going back to an 8 just because I’d like a smaller phone with Touch ID (although I know I’d probably get frustrated with trying to do anything on it).

Not sure why I can’t ever just be content with my tech.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
and then when that time rolls around, I just can’t seem to help myself but upgrade?

I have absolutely planned to keep my XR and not upgrade, but, with the keynote getting so close, I find myself being tempted...

Of course I also toy with going back to an 8 just because I’d like a smaller phone with Touch ID (although I know I’d probably get frustrated with trying to do anything on it).

I'm not sure I'll be liking the square camera bump on the back, not really aesthetically pleasing imo. But since I am on the yearly iUP, I will be upgrading regardless.

Reactions: theapplehead

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
The marketing jargon is such that it portrays the latest and greatest thing as the "best" and the last product as "adequate." So, riddled with inadequacy, despite having spent upwards of a grand on the latest product, us huddled masses schlep back to the Apple store year after year.

What I meant to say is probably because the cameras are going to be great.

Reactions: borntrouble

retta283

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I can get the upgrading itch sometimes, but I usually don't give in. I am much more likely to expand my collection of old gadgets...

I can understand the desire to move back to an 8, I can't use a Plus sized phone comfortably, and for my usage the extra real estate isn't worth it.

Reactions: motulist

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016

Two things come to mind when you decide to upgrade:

1.] Does the technology really compel you that much to sell/trade your XR for the latest iPhone? Or are you doing it because of impulse buy, those are things that I would try to differentiate if I were you.

2.] after you see the keynote, I would compare your current device to the latest iPhone that you’re looking at, and then find out if the price point difference is actually ‘worth’ the upgrade.

Reactions: MNotar91

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
It looks like the biggest improvement will be the camera.. Other than that, minor spec bumps that will hardly be noticeable in daily use. This was the reason I kept my X when the XS came out. I'm waiting till next year to see what they offer. I usually upgrade every two years so this will be the first time I've kept a device for three years and I'm still satisfied in what the X offers, plus it's paid off!

Reactions: Scottgb

oVerboost

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I was like this, my XR was the final straw for me. I got it after my X and it was just too big.

Sold the XR recently only losing minimum money, bought a brand new sealed SE 128GB and couldn’t be happier!

Taking a few steps backwards was just as exciting as getting a new phone in my case, and cheaper

Reactions: motulist

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Call me crazy, but I'm tempted to go to an 8 and sell my Xs once Apple announces (and discounts) the older models next Tuesday.

UnLiMiTeD558

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
This year was the first year I actually bought last years model instead. And unless Apple really does something to blow me away, I don’t see me regretting this decision since I picked up my brand new xs max for less than half price

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I'm on the IUP, so I'll likely get the new device. If FaceID works at more angles and with the phone laying flat on the desk where I normally lay it, that'll be nice. Also interested in new camera capabilities. I hope that low light photos will be much improved, but we'll see.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I’m on IUP also, for reasons already articulated here. I’ve done exactly as described in the title until the X. Now I just update every year and make my payments. Minimal loss vs buying and selling.

I have been considering getting an iPad Pro and alternating upgrade years but not sure yet. Glad I’m not the only one with a tech addiction.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I'm not sure I'll be liking the square camera bump on the back, not really aesthetically pleasing imo. But since I am on the yearly iUP, I will be upgrading regardless.
You could keep your device for another year and have $300-400 trade in value. Not required to upgrade.
[doublepost=1567632897][/doublepost]
I’m on IUP also, for reasons already articulated here. I’ve done exactly as described in the title until the X. Now I just update every year and make my payments. Minimal loss vs buying and selling.

I have been considering getting an iPad Pro and alternating upgrade years but not sure yet. Glad I’m not the only one with a tech addiction.
I have upgraded every year from the 3 to X. Could not justify it last year going to XS. Now I have $400 trade in value. Will have to see what is offered this year. With diminishing return on upgrades I am not sure will be on the yearly upgrade cycle without any real enhancements.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Every single year I say I wont be getting the new iPhone, as my husband stares me down knowing damn well that I'm lying to myself. He just responds by saying "Mhm. Riight" Then the keynote comes around and I end up pre-ordering. At this point its just tradition.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
You could keep your device for another year and have $300-400 trade in value. Not required to upgrade.
[doublepost=1567632897][/doublepost]
I have upgraded every year from the 3 to X. Could not justify it last year going to XS. Now I have $400 trade in value. Will have to see what is offered this year. With diminishing return on upgrades I am not sure will be on the yearly upgrade cycle without any real enhancements.
What you say is completely correct and the right financial decision. At the end of the day the $200ish/year you save by doing it isn’t enough of a savings to break the tradition. It’s my only ‘vice’ .. you know.. besides poker, football, sugar, and competitive chess boxing. :)

Reactions: BeeGood and Wags

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
IMO that would defeat the purpose of the Apple iUP. While I agree that no one is obligated to update yearly and can continue to use that device for another year. But I do see some positive things. 1. When you upgrade on a yearly basis, it's just a soft pull each time you upgrade, oppose to if you start as brand new then it's a hard pull. 2. Why not take the advantage of upgrading yearly, because it's my choice and my decision to do so. If I would keep it for another year then I wouldn't be on the iUP program at all.

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
IMO that would defeat the purpose of the Apple iUP. While I agree that no one is obligated to update yearly and can continue to use that device for another year. But I do see some positive things. 1. When you upgrade on a yearly basis, it's just a soft pull each time you upgrade, oppose to if you start as brand new then it's a hard pull. 2. Why not take the advantage of upgrading yearly, because it's my choice and my decision to do so. If I would keep it for another year then I wouldn't be on the iUP program at all.
Agree the purpose is too upgrade yearly but also is free financing benefit and that your not tied to a carrier. I can technically upgrade on the 23 payment and still get the ‘soft pull’ along with pre qualification before launch. Then just keep device of course. It’s the individuals choice like you said but for me after 11 years there was just no need from X to XS.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I always say that every year, but I’ve upgraded yearly from the 4 to the X. I kept my X for 18 months before I upgraded to the XS Max. I love the XS Max, but I hate the Intel modem. I constantly have dropped calls, service and weak WiFi connections. I know it’s the Intel modem, because my iPhone 7, works flawless on T-Mobile. I’m keeping my XS Max until Qualcomm is back in iPhones.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
If the rumours about the larger battery and the camera improvements come to fruition I may upgrade depending on the value I get for my current phone.