Why do I feel like a sucker buying a rMBP sometimes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tekksan, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tekksan macrumors regular

I bought a 2.6/16/512 rMBP (with Samsung panel) around Christmas time along with a Thunderbolt 27" Display.

The unit seems ok (a bit unstable sometimes) but I think that may be Chrome and/or Adobe Flash related-I'm still troubleshooting that issue and some lag with Mission Control even on 10.8.3 and running on the discreet card.

Anyway, why do I feel like a sucker sometimes for buying this? All I read on the Internet is problem after problem and people complaining all the time. Now, I know you usually don't hear to much from people who have no complaints but still, there does seem to be a high degree of issues with this unit being reported on.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Do YOU have any issues? You are feeling insecure because other people have had problems?

The retina is a great machine through and through. However, there are some downsides to brand new technolgoy which people are experiencing. Stop reading into the problems and concentrate on the amazing parts of the retina:
    Screen
    Weight
    Skinyness
    Cooling
    Resolution changing
    All flash
    Etc.

3. tekksan thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have some issues with the unit in general but not the widely reported ones. I did have some kind of wi-fi issue when I first got it but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. I have UI lag sometimes and some general system instability (as I stated, it may be more of a Chrome/Adobe Flash issue than something related to the laptop). I got lucky and got a Samsung panel so I don't expect any ghosting issues. I haven't played a lot of games yet so I'm not sure how the cooling will be when under heavy load on this 2012 unit.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The majority of Retina owners have no issue, including my own Mid 2012 Retina. Things with forums in general is people mostly come to solve issue, in some case complain, and a minority just to whine about hardware they have little or no experience with, barring ten minutes hands on at "BestBuy" which is clearly the case with some posts. This is the very nature of forums, on the polls here 80% - 90% are satisfied with Retina MBP, it`s the same every time Apple release a major revision; You can perform the same Google search for any given year the MBP has been in production and come up with a myriad of negative results;

2012 Macbook Pro issues

2011 MacBook Pro issues

2010 MacBook Pro issues

2009 MacBook Pro issues

2008 MacBook Pro Issues

2007 MacBook Pro issues

2006 MacBook Pro issues

So employing this logic, "one should never buy a Mac" on forums such as MacRumors, those with issue, those that believe they have been aggrieved and the "Haters" will always generate the most traffic for nothing more than their own personal motives. My own 2.3 Retina runs significantly cooler than my Late 2011 2.4 i7 15" MBP sat right next to it on the same desk, no loss in frame rate, no throttling at all, is quieter, to all intents and purposes the better machine by a fair margin.

What I do see as a loose observation year after year is that those who don't actually own the latest release tend to make the most noise, more so than ever with Retina. Apple`s hardware is not perfect, equally it`s not the tragedy that some paint it out to be year on year. If you don't like what Apple produces don't buy it, if you have genuine issue speak with Apple directly, it`s no more complex than that, it never has been.

Retina is just the next evolution of the MBP line...

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Truth of the matter is that if people love the product they wouldnt take their time to write how awesome it is (most people anyway). But then you get the people who have actual hardware issues who will write about it, but within the crowd of complainers are also people who look for the perfect machine trying to meet unrealistic expectations and people who are simply trolling.

It's the same with all sorts of other services and products. Heck, if you read reviews for tylenol or another rather benign medication you'll get the "it almost killed me" outcry from time to time.

It doesn't mean that their experience is invalidated or untrue, but as with anything, YMMV.

Enjoy the machine, its pretty damn good.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Im not saying you're a "sucker" because both the rMBP and 27" Studio Display are amazing. BUT the Apple monitor is non-retina so now you've got a laptop display that is (supposedly) better than your $1000 external display.

Personally, I loved the rMBP at first but after a few weeks of admiring the screen I realized that the Retina display was more a novelty than an essential part of my photography workflow. Sure, its pretty for ME to look at but for my photography then my audience is print or people with non-retina displays so it made more sense to use "common" hardware rather than a display that very few actually own yet.

Another poster listed his thoughts on the rMBP benefits but to ME then all this talk of "thin and light" in the 15" laptop category are irrelevant since my MBP's spend 90% of its time on a desk or in-house. So with a few very cheap upgrades (Standard parts so Max RAM, SSD, 2nd HDD) then not only is this a cheaper and more powerful machine, it's resale value isn't tied down to 2011 specs. I resell my Macs every 18-24mo and I really wonder what the market for a 1st gen rMBP will look like in 2014 because its going to be tough to get maximum value on such a powerful machine that is limited by its 256GB SSD (or Apples higher SSD upgrade options).

7. tekksan thread starter macrumors regular

This was a good post and helped put things in proper perspective. I love the laptop-it's the best laptop I've ever had.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

...or ANY product for that matter. Spend some time on any discussion forum site. Your wallet will thank you. :D

9. utekineir macrumors 6502

10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Here's the key to your problem. Suckerness is a function of reality; it's nothing to do with what people post on the internet...

Try this link for an explanation:

www.wwwdotcom.com

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I read somewhere that the moon landing didn't happen. Does that make me a sucker for loving NASA and watching the **** out of "When we Left Earth"?

12. MacKid macrumors 6502

I feel really bad for everyone having problems, and it certainly makes me nervous, but I don't feel bad for buying an early 2013 and having zero issues. It's the most effortless, responsive computing experience I've had in life.

13. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

My experiences and observations in the past is that when a new product like the rMBP is released, there are issues that are only cleared up with the next big OS release.

The issue seems to be that with the new yearly release of OS's, Apple doesn't seem to get the issues ironed out of the current OS, and then they release a new one (wtf?).

I would expect that a lot of rMBP issues will be resolved with the 10.9 release, although I wouldn't get it until 10.9.1 or later (I used to never upgrade until the 10.x.3 release, but now that plan is shot).

At least I hope the problems get resolved...I love my MBA, but am seriously looking at an rMBP for my new computer.

14. tekksan thread starter macrumors regular

Apple Refurb site...

15. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

That's your 'problem'. Get off the Internet...or more specifically the rMBP forums discussing issues. You're good. Not sure what chrome and/or flash issues you're experiencing but if everything 'seems' good, it IS good:)
    Pick up Applecare if you haven't already (B&H has it for $244---save $105). This will buy you some peace of mind. Refrain from reading these problem and/or trolling threads. Most are populated by non-owners or envious folks that wish they could afford one. Not that there aren't issues. It's a mass produced product. There will be anomalies. People come to the Internet to troubleshoot. It's normal. However, as discussed earlier...happy owners tend to be the quiet, unheard from faction. They don't need help or guidance. They simply enjoy their machine. You should too. Try to lay off the MBP forum at MR for a few weeks, a month. Play some games, edit some photos and video...put the machine through its paces, possibly even tasks you wouldn't otherwise do. This, too, will provide peace of mind. I'm a thirty year computer user, my first was an Apple IIe circa '84/'85. Since then, and dozens of machines later, I can honestly and proudly exclaim my wife and I's rMBPs are the absolute best machines we've ever owned. Hands down. No question! Enjoy your machine. You're no sucker. The display is phenomenal...but there is MUCH more to the unit than that. Speed SSD and unequaled RAM efficiency. Dual thunderbolt and HDMI. USB 3 and an SD card slot for good measure. Weight savings and an extremely well built enclosure. Wicked display performance. Not just the resolution...but the 'pop' of a 'glossy' screen without the glossy:). The new lamination process damn near eliminates any substantial glare. Also, an excellent GPU (especially considering Apple's history of shorting us on the GPU end!). Excellent trackpad and a killer OS that takes advantage of said trackpad. Quad core processing...the list truly goes on and on. Lay off the forums and the negative threads. If you need a boost, google rMBP reviews. Not a bad one to be found...most agreeing that it is the pinnacle of portable computing today! Certainly not a 'sucker buy'

J

16. Fissure macrumors 6502

13" rMBP, absolutely no issues for me, happy happy

17. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Lovin' my late-2012 rMBP here. The display is nice-- I'm surprised how my eyes (which are increasingly poor) appreciate the crispness of the display. I've had no problems save for some instabilities and graphics artifacts in Safari that were eliminated in the OS X update recently. The thing is an absolute beast-- best portable solution for running virtual machines that I've seen. I pound it and use every one of its CPU cycles and 16GB RAM. It lives a hard-working life and asks for more. Yet it's light and, without a hard disk, rugged. Battery life is phenomenal, too. And all the OS X goodies (such as Reader mode in Safari, and Spaces) aid my productivity significantly.

A terrific investment.

18. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

A Sucker?

lol... Come on Op! There are more important things in life then worrying about something like this. How bout trying to enjoy your machine and calling it a day.

I love mine...and deff dont feel like a sucker, more like fortunate that I can afford such a nice machine.

19. eljimberino macrumors member

Other 'problem' may be too is that the computer age is maturing and consumers expect more. There's a notion of perfection that doesn't exist. Go use one of you friends two year old machine, any brand, and see if you still feel like a sucker.

20. utekineir macrumors 6502

then smile

21. Ploki macrumors 68000

hey, mine works perfect. :)
    2.7/16/256

22. printz, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013

printz macrumors regular

I'm afraid that after a time too short, any of these things may happen:

- something vital from the computer breaks. Ouch. Let's hope AppleCare can fix it (too bad if it's 4 years from now)
    - because of inefficient apps that don't care, even 8 GiB of RAM won't be enough. Or 256 GB SSD likewise. Damn 15GB-occupying apps.
    - image retention, which currently only happens against dark grey backgrounds, will worsen completely.

I'm happy with the SSD though, and the display resolution gives me advantages when viewing pictures. The battery kicks ass, it's almost like tablet time when doing tablet activities (web or PDF reading). It actually makes my Nexus 7 tablet almost obsolete, for these reasons:
    - cool laptop, a premiere I'd say, considering how MacBook Pros are usually considered hot as hell
    - long battery duration
    - higher PPI (not by much, but still better)
    - better display contrast
    - can do more on it.
    - OS X more stable than Jelly Bean which locks up regularly.
    Maybe I can still use my tablet when I travel by subway, because obviously the laptop is too big and exposed to brandish it like that. But I still dislike the idea of carrying two expensive devices with me, and when I'm at an office, of course I prefer the laptop.

I'm disappointed with the new OS X software, it's no longer stable and has bugs, and has stupidly low frame-rate on animations. Also the GPU from my 3-year old self-built desktop PC, an older NVidia 9600 GT, scores higher in the benchmarks than the rMBP NVidia mobile discrete GPU!!

I'm trying to find a way to make good use of my two Thunderbolt ports, before the technology becomes obsolete.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then why the angst? Enjoy your computer and don't worry about what's floating around on the internet. If your machine is fine, then enjoy it, if it isn't then have apple service it.

Regarding chrome and flash - that's software and out of the control of apple.

24. terrymaz macrumors regular

i bought mine when it first came out. I have had no issues except i thought it heated up pretty good when on my lap. Since that last update it seems to run cooler now. I am very happy with mine. :D

25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Because I can buy a Dell for $500. Less than $1000 if I want to include a low capacity SSD and 8gb of RAM.

Apple's retina machines start at over a grand, and when it's all said and done you can still email or facebook just as well on a Dell as you can on a mac.