Why do I have such low memory

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by someguy020, Feb 26, 2011.

1. someguy020, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

someguy020 macrumors newbie

So my friend just gave me his iPhone 3g, and I've been using it with T-mobile so I had to jailbreak it. I thought it ran a little slow, so after jailbreaking it I installed SBSettings. I only have 16 MB free on available memory. Is this normal?

My brother has an ipod touch 3g with winterboard and a ton of themes on it, ~ 60-70 apps and lots of music and he has 50 MB free of memory! Plus it runs noticeably smoother.

Here's what I have:
    -iPhone 3g (4.2.1) jailbroken and running on T-mobile
    -Winterboard with a very simple lockscreen
    -6 downloaded apps total, none of which run in the background
    -I reset his phone prior to jailbreaking it, to delete all contacts & programs
    -on SBSettings, it says I have ~115MB on / and 6.7 GB on /var, with 16MB of available memory
    -I performed a hard reset 2X and used the free memory function. It has helped a little...

Correction: my brother has an ipod touch 2g

2. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Winterboard hogs alot of memory. If you want to save a little disable Indexing service.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The iPod touch 3G has better hardware to run all that stuff. I'm not surprised with that much low memory on a 3G.

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

So I'm going to say to turn it off and then back on once and a while to clear the ram up. Plus the fact is a 3G and not as good as the current modles. Like others have said winter board is a lot of memory. It is just a combo of everything u have on it, and iTunes lies sometimes with memory you have.

5. someguy020 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, didn't know 16 MB free was normal for the iPhone 3g. Actually I was mistaken...the ipod touch my brother has is 2g not 3g (he has the 8GB version).

What I found suprising was that the ipod touch 2g had 3X more RAM available than the iphone 3g. Especially since the ipod has tons of stuff on it and the iphone has practically nothing. Is this still normal?

Why would the ipod touch 2g run so much better than the iphone 3g? Wikipedia says they have identical RAM.

Anyways, thanks for the responses, just wanted to make sure it wasn't messed up. If it's expected that the iphone is supposed to have such low ram I'm not going to be worried about it but I still think it's strange.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The software associated with the phone app and SMS app is probably the difference.

I advise 3G and prior iPhone model owners to stay in iOS3 because of the RAM limits.

7. 4004 macrumors member

4.x software is a no-go for 2gen devices, and it doesn't really matter how much memory you'll be able to free, it still won;t be enough for backgrounding and smooth performance