Why do I let myself get so attached?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lamina, Apr 29, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I met a girl from China about a month ago. We started off just as conversation partners. We hung out a lot, we would meet at the library to study together, I'd take her places, we'd hang out till really late. Recently, I finally bit the bullet and kissed her, and things moved from there. She had grown pretty close to my family, and they would share long conversations about Chinese and Canadian culture. It was a pleasure having her around.

Only 1 month of knowing this girl, and not even 2 weeks of being intimate, and here I am crying like a newborn baby. Well, not really like a newborn, but you know that feeling in your throat you get when you're on the verge of crying and your eyes are watering? That's how I am right now. She left for Beijing this afternoon at 2:30 from Toronto.

Before I said goodbye to her last night, she gave me some cologne, her Garfield stuffed animal, and her cell phone to use during the summer, since it would cost 10x more to use a Canadian cell phone in China. I had written her a letter saying how much I'm going to miss her, etc.

We had only been somewhat serious for maybe 2-3 weeks. I laid with her while she slept till 7:30 this morning. She wouldn't let my arm go, even in her sleep. She cried, but I didn't feel the need to at the time.

Now, she's 33,000 feet above Western Canada, heading towards Beijing at 900km/h. She will be back Monday, September 3rd.

What is it about me that gets me so attached to a girl like this?

2. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

That sucks man, I know where your coming from. Something similar to this happened with me and an American girl, the only difference being we were to not meet again.

Look on the bright side, with how technology is these days, you can talk to her over the phone for free (Skype), and September's not too far away.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's the way love goes....

I hope you two are back together again soon.

4. BigPrince macrumors 68020

WTF are you waiting for. Get on the next flight to CHINA!

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

we all get attached easy. the hardest part is letting go.

i wish you the best of luck. love isn't easy.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

it's hard, but no worries man, you know when she is coming back, wait..you know she is coming back...that you have that a lot don't...so be happy for what you had, be happy now and be happy for what will come.

7. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Haha way to go guys/girls... I'm crying again :)

You're all right though, at least I know she's coming back.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I had a crush like that once.

She fly to Germany. Haven't seen her in almost 13 years. Googled her recently. She's still hot.

9. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Like PoD said- we get attached easily, i's our nature. She'll be back soon enough, I hope all works out for y'all.

10. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Atleast you will see her again soon. In the meantime, why not plan her a big surprise for when she gets back? :)

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

because your a person...its the way we work. We do stupid things, that looking back don't make much sense. We make foolish mistakes, ignore logic ect.

And we'll do it all over again..your a human, and have feelings :)

12. Lau Guest

Send her a sweet package of something in the post. Not something expensive, just something heartfelt or handmade or similar. It'll make you feel better to be planning it, and she'll love it.

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Send her an piece of jewelry with an anchor on it. (A ships anchor)

Send something like your an anchor in my heart or something like that.

14. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

That story seriously almost made me cry.

If you really liker her, and she really likes you, then it will work out. I'm rootin' for you man!

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

That would be a pretty kick arse grand romantic move...and then she'd love ya for a while!(I'd imagine, unless she meat someone else, in which case you'd feel stupid and be out the plane ticket cost, but she doesn't sound like that type of girl)

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Love? :)

Sounds like you have something neat started. Long distance relationships are always hard to do -- especially international ones.

Do the Skype/e-mail thing. But also write her a short letter say once a week. Nothing like having something arrive in the mail from someone you care about. Consider writing a portion or all of it in Chinese. She will appreciate the gesture.

And remember, September is not that far off in the future.

Good luck! :)

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, lets not make him feel any worse then he already does.;)

18. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Great idea, Sushi. There's nothing quite like a handwritten letter (unless your scrawl is as hideous as that of my honey; he missed his calling as a doctor, it seems). You can also buy cute "thinking of you" if you're ever at a loss for words. Send pics, too!

19. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

hahaha Eurotrip all over again... only china... Asiatrip?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course she'll be back lamina. She's not gonna let some Canadian girl steal you away. :)

21. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks a lot guys/girls.

I went for a long walk with my D50 tonight and it really let me think about things. I'm really lucky this summer because I got a job working as an Apple email support rep, and I will also be doing some phone support.

The second half of the summer, I'll be working as an event coordinator with Brock University's IELP (Intensive English Language Program). I am really excited about this opportunity, because I'll be involved in planning events, as well as photography and small website design.

So, I've got a lot to look forward to. Thanks all for easing my mind (for now) :)

Lee: She's got a lot better chance with me than 98% of Canadian girls, that's for sure :D

22. alFR macrumors 68020

I'm assuming that's an unfortunate typo.

23. iGav macrumors G3

Why does it take so long?

Lau, you're such a closet, wannabe Blue Peter™ presenter. ;)

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Fantastic idea! :)

Sounds like this would be a wonderful way to share information. :)

25. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato