Why do iOS devices, like iPhone, get more hype than new Mac computers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Sep 26, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I find Mac computers more interesting, and I am personally more interested in them than iOS devices that get a ton of hype like iPad or iPhone.

What is the reason the iPhone is getting so much hype?

I'd like to see this kind of hype over the next iMac. A redesigned iMac will get less hype than an iPhone 4S.

2. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Mainly because iPhones are more mainstream. My mom has an iPhone but couldn't care less about a Mac.

3. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'm guessing...

1) Computers are more expensive.
    2) People generally only upgrade computers when theirs break or are really out of date.
    3) etc

Ayumi fan as well applefan289? :p

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Could be that iOS products outsell Macs by, what, 8:1 or so? Stands to reason that there are a lot of people interested in iOS that have no interest in Mac.

5. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

ayu ftw! But even though I'm not buying a new Mac until mine breaks, I'm more interested to see a new Mac model come out, because I feel Macs are the best part of their product lineup. But they don't get as much attention. :(

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

So I guess your question comes back to "Why is the iPhone more popular than Macs?".

I think it has to do with expensive phones being more popular than expensive computers in general.

A smartphone's monthly bills are so expensive over time relatively to the device itself that people will not be cheap on the hardware side if they're going to spend thousands of dollars on monthly bills before the contract ends anyway. Also, carriers subsidize expensive phones so they are more accessible.

Think of it this way: If you had the choice between a 500$ MacBook Pro with a 2 year contract or a free netbook with a free 2 year contract, and monthly home internet bills were always around 200$ for everyone, which hardware would be more appealing to most?

Yup, people would buy more expensive computers in this kind of situation. Apple totally dominate the expensive computers market. The vast majority of PCs sold are under 1000$. It's common for someone to buy a 2000$ Mac. A PC? Not so much. The few that will do are mostly gamers that will build their own gaming desktop. And say, Alienware vs Mac laptops sales don't even compare.

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Because Apple manufactures this hype. Why? Because this is where they make all their cash, not from Macs.

8. mamon343 macrumors member

mamon343

Because we carry them with us all the time(use them more) and they are more important. :)

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

Price. If Macs could be subsidized or at least be 50% cheaper, I think it would be far more popular. But it seems 90% of users live in a Windows PC world. But I do agree, Macs deserve alot more credit as they are arguably the best computers in the world. I know people get amazed with the iOS GUI, but Apple's real brilliance started from the Mac. If the cheapest MacBook cost $600 and the iPad 2 cost $500, I would take the laptop every single time. Better specs and just more practical. Other than my phone, my laptop is my most important to me.

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

iOS devices are in a growing market and have mass appeal.

Mac sales are growing but at the expense of Windows PCs and not an enlarging market. They've been growing even though there has been no advertising on TV (at least) for over 18 months. Apple has placed most of there developers in the market growth areas causing delayed (and some say faulty) releases of OS X, iLife and iWork apps, and Final Cut Pro X.

11. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

Because you can get a Windows machine for like $500 and the cheapest Mac is $999.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I currently use my iPhone and iPad for most of everything on the internet and in class these days, but I will say that I will be going Mac as soon as my 4 year old Toshiba laptop dies. Shouldn't be too much longer...

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Because some ppl like me upgrade iPhones every year and not a mac! It's easier to buy an iPhone every year than a get refresh mac every year.

14. ascii42 macrumors member

I think it's because each iPhone is more likely to add new features. Each iteration of the Mac, for the most part, is predictable. It's only when it's something completely different(e.g., the MacBook Air), that would warrant hype.