Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Well, for me it's because ATT data speed is at least 4-5 times as fast as VZW.

And FWIW, that map is NOT correct. I just retrieved this one from ATT web site and it's far different from the one you have: :confused:

Maybe you're just trolling?

That is 3G *AND* Edge. Try to find a 3G-only map. It seems that AT&T has this crew rather well-trained! :)

gus6464

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
Verizon data speed is trash. At the launch I was 97 in line with my mom in law and by the time we got to the front att ipads were out of stock which is what she wanted. There were a couple of people behind us that wanted att ones as well and the apple sales lady was telling everyone we have plenty of vzw ones in stock in every size and not a single person decided to get one instead. I can deal with a dropped call or two here and there but I cannot deal with insanely slow internet on my iphone.

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007

And FWIW, that map is NOT correct. I just retrieved this one from ATT web site and it's far different from the one you have: :confused:

coverage_Data.gif

No way that's a 3G map. AT&T has hardly any 3G coverage in MI.

jdminpdx

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Verizon is slower and it's not GSM. I travel to London and Israel very frequently. iPad gsm is a life saver

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Verizon data speed is trash. At the launch I was 97 in line with my mom in law and by the time we got to the front att ipads were out of stock which is what she wanted. There were a couple of people behind us that wanted att ones as well and the apple sales lady was telling everyone we have plenty of vzw ones in stock in every size and not a single person decided to get one instead. I can deal with a dropped call or two here and there but I cannot deal with insanely slow internet on my iphone.

It all depends on where you live. I was 70th in line and they only had 64 gig Verizon iPads left. They had all AT&T models.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
That is 3G *AND* Edge. Try to find a 3G-only map. It seems that AT&T has this crew rather well-trained! :)

Provide us with a map...

All I can tell you is that I returned my VZW iPhone and ported back to ATT because the data just blows. Pages take FOREVER to load. MUCH happier now! I can't imagine even trying to load pages on the VZW iPad! :eek:

deadwalrus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011

coverage_Data.gif

Not a 3g map bro.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Provide us with a map...

All I can tell you is that I returned my VZW iPhone and ported back to ATT because the data just blows. Pages take FOREVER to load. MUCH happier now! I can't imagine even trying to load pages on the VZW iPad! :eek:

DARK blue is current 3G.

verizon2.jpg

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006

And you're not well-trained by Verizon into thinking their service is better, no matter what?

Look, AT&T has faster 3G connectivity. It's true. Verizon may cover more areas, but it can also be unbearably slow. If you don't recognize this, then you're delusional.

rudyo

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
Surely you are kidding? 4-5 times faster than Verizon?
Have you used an ipad with both carriers?

I have used AT&T on an ipad 1 since April 2010 and since last Friday I have used it alongside an Ipad2 on Verizon. There has been rarely a case or scenario where AT&T is faster than VZW. On a speed test, AT&T has higher ping times than VZW. Most of the time the data rate is the same as VZW, sometimes it is faster, but in actual use (browsing, loading images etc) the VZW has been approximately 20-40% faster virtually 90% of the time.

This first video is using the Speedtest.net app and shows ping times and download/upload speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai4wswF6FU0

Both Ipads are using the built in Cellular card, no Mifi.
The AT&T is an Ipad 1 and the Verizon is an ipad 2. I will have an ipad 2 for the AT&T in a few days and will rerun the test.

This is not an issue of Verizon being 3G and AT&T being on Edge, both were 3G with 4 or more bars of service.
The consistently high ping times on AT&T are causing latency which causes lag. In all of my browsing the Verizon feels and act much faster than AT&T.

This video is using DSL Reports mobile page, which does a test by downloading a file multiple times and then calculating an aggregate throughput. I also downloaded a 2mb image to gauge actual page load times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WH_NzHFM2Q

Based on my testing, albeit somewhat unscientific, Verizon performs better in my area. That may not be the case for all areas. Clearly if either provider doesn't have good coverage in your area, they will not be a good choice.

Last edited:

nimski62

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Simple: Verizon avg download speed: 300kbps with 3G. Att average: 3000kbps. Verizon is too slow and the 3g doesn't penetrate buildings well. Comparision with my friends verizon iphone vs mine.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Remind me why people buy AT&T iPads?? The difference in 3G coverage is ridiculous.

View attachment 276509

I don't know, maybe because AT&T subscribers would like to use their wireless devices outside of the US.

If Verizon works for you, GOOD ON YOU!!! But don't spread this FanBoy Propaganda.

Admins, please lock this thread. The OP is an obvious TROLL.

jkwireless

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
For me, because the AT&T iPas is unlocked. When I travel internationally, I can insert that counties SIM into it and use their 3G networks.

+1

AT&T coverage if awful where I live in L.A., but I use Wi-Fi at home. Howeve3r, when I go to Europe, I can use a local Sim Card and forget anything about AT&T. Getting a GSM iPad has less to do with AT&T and more to do with International compatibility for me. If i NEVER travelled outside of the US, you can bet that I would have gone Verizon without question.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

LOL. Good sh:t.

kindaobsessed

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Houston, Tx
I am Houston and never NEVER had issues with my ATT service. We traveled from Houston to Philadelphia, my phone worked the whole time, I know this because I sat in a car for 10hrs a day and did not have anything better to do than play on my iPhone. My mother lives in the sticks, ATT is the only service she can get out there and it is even 3G. ATT is major competition for the company I work for and I would love to complain about there service, but they have given me no reason to.

iLuis

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
Well Verizon and AT&T is the same *****...
You lose signal with all the phone carrier, I'm going with AT&T cuz the iPad is unlocked and i got the Unlimited plan for just $30 dlls a damn good deal.

I can got just for the simcard up to $500 :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.