Other Why do people buy iPhones from AT&T, Verizon, Best Buy and not Apple directly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm curious why people buy phones directly from a store like Best Buy or their wireless provider instead of Apple directly. Is there a special reasoning like they have better return policies? I typically don't care much about customer service since I just need to be in, buy, and leave quickly. It is mainly Apple's no hassle return policy that I buy from them directly.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sometimes some special deals/discounts/sales/etc. are involved.

3. IdentityCrisis macrumors 6502

No local Apple store, so I have to go to Best Buy to buy one, or order online from either.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Carriers offer deals and I forget sometimes, not everyone is lucky enough to have an Apple Store local.

5. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I bought mine from John Lewis; I could just have easily bought it from the Apple store but that was half a mile farther away.

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

I’ve done Sams club and BestBuy for a couple of my past phones with no issues.. The transaction actually was considered a Verizon upgrade by the carrier and was no different than going to the Verizon store.. I did the same at the Apple store when I picked up my X last December

7. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Agreed but I rarely buy from brick and mortar, I actually meant that I order online when I refer to the Apple Store.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Speaking only for myself…If I were to go to Apple they would ask me for the entire price of the phone up front.

My carrier offers leasing or installments.

Apple does too, but then I'd have to qualify for their program. Most likely not going to happen.

And I'm unwilling to do what it takes to qualify for that when Apple doesn't offer phones I want to buy (since the iPhone 5).

9. Ffosse macrumors 68000

Why not just buy it outright? That is what I and all the people I know do.

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Not everyone has $1000-1500 lying around just for a handset purchase…

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, me too.

I always buy from Apple. I am one of those crazy people who get up early to place an order on and have been lucky and always made introduction day.

I have not been in my carrier store (ATT) in years.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

13. davedvdy macrumors 6502

Also, if the purchase is put on a CC, it carries the APR/Interest associated with it.

Carrier or Apple payments are 0% interest.

14. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

I'n not sure what you are talking about, but yes you can do your carrier financing when buying through Apple.

I buy all my iPhones from Apple, and I've done AT&T Next payments and Verizon Edge payment plans when buying at Apple.

It's the same thing.

15. DevinNj macrumors 6502

I buy from whoever has the best incentives. Last year I got my 8+ at Walmart on a Black Friday deal and got a $300 gift card when I got the phone. That went towards Christmas presents for my 8 y/o. Not too bad.

16. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Why would you turn down a 2 year interest free loan? I have far better things to do with $1k up front.

17. DevinNj macrumors 6502

Pretty much

18. err404 macrumors 68020

Why not? It’s the same device and you get the same Apple support either way. The only difference may be in the return period, but most are comparable.
    Economically, you are also supporting a second business.

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Thank you for reminding me about that.

The last purchase I made with a subsidy for an iPhone was in August 2013. That was over five years ago and I totally forgot you could do that. My last several purchases have been through my carrier.

20. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

sometimes availability and a carrier store may be better than Apple on that day

21. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

22. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Then they are living outside of their means.

23. jwlbel macrumors regular

I did a BOGO (really $700 off) deal for my iPhone SX Max with AT&T and I would not get that deal if I bought it directly from Apple. So by doing it through AT&T vs Apple I saved an extra $700 and I got a better trade-in price for my old phone with AT&T vs Apple. Plus another added bonus, they had the model I wanted in stock at the local AT&T store and not at the Apple store.

24. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Are they?

Do you have the right to condemn them for it if they are?

25. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I buy from Best Buy or AT&T because we have no local Apple store. Nearest Apple store is about 60 miles away.