Why do people buy Macs in 2011/2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

I'm liking Windows 7 (bootcamp) better than Lion. It's faster and snapier. Also seems to be using less resources. It's hilarious that the Mac also works better in Windows 7 ( don't seem to suffer from Wifi problems in bootcamp )

Snow Leopard is good, but it won't work on new Macs.

The OS X vs Windows debate has been won by Windows in 2011/2012.

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

For the same reason someone would buy a Car A over Car B. It all comes down to personal preference. :rolleyes:

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Just because you like it, doesn't mean everyone does. I have a small bootcamp partition, for some windoze only software, but I hate using it. It is slow to load anything (like AutoCAD) that Lion runs fine with only 2 Gbs of RAM. It takes a lot of programs running to keep secure that you don't need for OS X. I will say its much better now then it was, but I'm not going to say they've "won".

And people buy Macs in 2011/2012 because they want to have the quality hardware.

Yes, Macs run Windows 7 well, because they are built well, and with quality components.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Some people need Macs for software that doesn't run on PCs. I still prefer Snow Leopard to Lion, but that is only because Snow Leopard meets my needs better than Lion, just like many people's needs are met better by Windows than Mac OS.

5. newone757 macrumors 6502

LMAO my experience is the opposite. I hate running my windows partition but I must only to play skyrim. Its a slug though. Seems like you need to go buy a Windows laptop, if it isn't pretty obvious

6. derickdub macrumors 6502

You should probably reformat or buy new/upgraded hardware. My 2009 13" MBP can run Lion just as flawlessly as my $2700 3 month old custom PC can run Windows 7.

It's also "buy", not by.

7. TSE macrumors 68030

While I agree there is less reason to buy a Mac since Windows 7, Mac is still better for a lot of things and Mac hardware is matched by very few PC manufacturers.

8. Liquinn Suspended

One could put Windows on a Mac and have it as their primary OS they wanted to, but they'd be paying a premium for the hardware.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

looks like Windows is better suited for you ... I doubt many Mac users will follow your lead ... personally I loathe Windows :cool:

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Exactly what makes the mac's innards so special over PC's that macs will run windows better? The OS doesn't care how shiny the machine is. :)

11. TSE macrumors 68030

You definitely would be paying a large premium.

I think the only companies that match Mac in hardware are:

Sony's flagship models, HP Elitebook, Thinkpad (not the Edge series) all have great build quality that matches or beats Apple.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Nothing has been won by anything. People still continue to buy Windows PCs, and other people still continue to buy Macs (in increasing numbers, mind you). It all comes down to personal preference. Just because your personal preference is Windows doesn't mean that it should be universally accepted as such.

Personal preference.

That's a matter of opinion (i.e. personal preference).

32bit applications use less resources than 64bit applications. The SL and Lion core apps are all 64bit, and more popular OS X apps support 64bit than those on Windows. If you like to run 32bit apps over 64bit apps, that's also personal preference.

This is due to the fact that Macs are well built machines and that Apple makes darn good drivers for Windows in Bootcamp.

Nor do they under SL or Lion. Very few machines experienced that. If your networking flow seems better under Windows, that also is personal preference.

It works just fine if you clean install it.

13. Senex macrumors member

As has been stated, it's personal preference. I only use a Windows machine at work because I have to, but I find Windows frustrating and clunky. I'd give up indoor plumbing before I'd switch back to using a Windows PC day in and day out.

14. robgendreau macrumors 68040

It's overly simplistic to say one OS is better than the other…at what, fer instance?

You should start from the specific software applications you need to do your work or recreate, then get the OS that runs them best, and then the hardware that also does that.

I still think PCs are better are gaming, using Office, and GPS navigation applications, for example. Macs with various creative/design software applications. But it's much more close now, and with virtualization you can have your cakes and eat them too.

Rob

15. firewood macrumors 604

Why would anyone want to buy a 2011/2012 car model just because it won that year's sales contest? So ordinary.

16. bill-p macrumors 68000

I think it's either your Mac is way too old, or you haven't used a new Mac at all.

My MBP 2011 15" runs Lion a lot better than Windows 7. The only thing that's faster in Windows 7 is 3D gaming, but which I don't do a whole lot of. Everything else is faster under Lion, and fans are much quieter, too.

Also I get at most 3.5 hours of battery life in 7 under Bootcamp. On average it's much less. Something like 1.5 hours. But under Lion, my average battery life is 5 hours, or at most 9 hours.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For you maybe but for most of us here at MR, OSX is a superior operating system running on better designed computers

Just because you think windows is better does not mean its a unrefutable fact but rather an opinion. My opinion is the opposite

18. Liquinn Suspended

Just over three months till Ivy Bridge, yay.

That's why I'm buying a MBP in a few months.

19. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I went from pc to mac and couldn't be happier. I think YOU THINK that it runs better in bootcamp because you regret buying it in the first place. If you need windows for specific tasks or programs that is understandable, but in your case, its just buyers remorse over a small defect.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

windows is OK in my book, but the intuitiveness and approach that Apple has taken with OS X (yes even Lion) means it is just easier for me to use and i still prefer it over windows.

21. salacious macrumors 6502a

i hate windows.. seriously it got to me soo much my house is really really dark.. you have no idea how much i hate windows..

22. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

As one who uses Windows 7 at work, I have to say I still loathe it
    I find no compelling reason to use it at all

In fact, I now have my 23" ACD at my office and I bring my Air to work to use it instead

People Who Use Macs are Work are Richer and More Productive

23. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

1a) That you've deliberately spelled Microsofts OS "windoze" reveals your prejudice against it.

2a) I believe the primary reason is OS X, as well as very attractive design.

3a) Intel based Macs are built with the same quality of components as top of the line Lenovo ThinkPads, they're both equal.

Build quality is also the same. I use both and the experience is so close to identical only one who uses them concurrently as I do can tell the subtle differences.

While I most certainly prefer my Macs, my ThinkPads have lasted just as long. I have no malware, virus or other security issues with either.

Ease of use with Windows 7 is excellent. A true credit to Microsoft for paying attention to user feedback regarding Vista, and making a giant leap forward.

I'd much rather enjoy the variety provided by each platform, than have no variety or choices.

24. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Ballmer?