Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The OS X vs Windows debate has been won by Windows in 2011/2012.

Now that is hilarious!

My brother in law has a Win7 notebook, and he drools when he sees my 17" MBP.

He did not have a choice as his company provided his notebook for him.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
sounds like personal preferences

I'm liking Windows 7 (bootcamp) better than Lion. It's faster and snapier. Also seems to be using less resources. It's hilarious that the Mac also works better in Windows 7 ( don't seem to suffer from Wifi problems in bootcamp )

Snow Leopard is good, but it won't work on new Macs.

Our PCs were recently upgraded to Windows 7 at work and I still do not like using Windows. For me, Macs are all about ease of use.

I was a little worried about Lion until I actually started playing around with it while waiting for my MBP to be upgraded yesterday. It makes using a laptop much easier and painless (I have had so many issues with trackpads, but with the nifty shortcuts in Lion I am not over extending my wrists etc.). I don't see much of a difference from SL to Lion honestly, but the differences I do notice I really enjoy.

I am glad I took the risk.

To every person a personal preference. I politely disagree with you about Windows winning.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Dear OP:
If you are going to insult an apple product or flame it for no real reason, dont bother posting anything.
Yours truly, Macrumors Users

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I bought a Mac to use Mac OS X ... not Windows because it works. The same reason I'm still using OS 10.2 which flips to OS9 cause it works. My other Mac uses Tiger quite nicely. Really don't see Windows 7 in my future.

A ten is beats a 7 any day. #imjustsayin

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm liking Windows 7 (bootcamp) better than Lion. It's faster and snapier. Also seems to be using less resources. It's hilarious that the Mac also works better in Windows 7 ( don't seem to suffer from Wifi problems in bootcamp )

I assume that in your little world we should all eat only what you think is best and do only what you like to do? How mighty egotistical of you. Your opinion does not equate to fact.

Last edited:

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
that is incorrect. it is "by".

If it was "by" then the context was wrong and the OP should get a lesson in english beyond the extent of spelling. I've seen 3 year olds who can structure sentences better than "Why do people by Macs in 2011/2012?". I thought it seemed fairly obvious that the OP was intending to use the verb buy.

Anyways the OP changed it now.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
If it was "by" then the context was wrong and the OP should get a lesson in english beyond the extent of spelling. I've seen 3 year olds who can structure sentences better than "Why do people by Macs in 2011/2012?". I thought it seemed fairly obvious that the OP was intending to use the verb buy.

We were talking about two different places. I was talking about in the post, and now it is clear to me you were talking about the title.

And here at MacRumors, I believe it is the policy to not insult people that use english as a secondary language, simply because they may not have a complete mastery of grammar.

Last edited:

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
I bought a mac purely for two reasons:
1. Windows doesn't have Helvetica font, even if it does it the rendering is so terrible you cannot read it.
2. OS X Graphic User Interface is sleeker than Windows

Scratch75

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Censorship is alive and well here at MacRumors... :confused:

That's their prerogative. The First Amendment applies to the US Federal Government, not to private individuals or groups such as MacRumors.com.

If you don't like it, start your own rumors website.

DonMega

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
That's their prerogative. The First Amendment applies to the US Federal Government, not to private individuals or groups such as MacRumors.com.

If you don't like it, start your own rumors website.

You, ma'am are absolutely correct. I don't like it. You are also incorrect and probably not from the U.S. or as ignorant of the law as most Americans are.

DonMega signing off to "start my own rumors website"... :rolleyes:

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I bought a mac purely for two reasons:
1. Windows doesn't have Helvetica font, even if it does it the rendering is so terrible you cannot read it.
2. OS X Graphic User Interface is sleeker than Windows

1. What? The Windows font is just thinner and not an option unless you type it into the word processor. It still looks the same and it is not "rendered terribly". The windows PC is 1920x1080 and the Macbook Pro is 1440x900. 11pt Font in Pages for Mac and Word 2010 for Windows.

helveticacomp.jpg

2. I agree OS X is more appealing and much more "modern feeling" however I like that Microsoft has stuck by their original design pretty well. It hasn't changed much for a really long time and that isn't really a bad thing.

I bought a Mac because I wanted a good, stable laptop that was portable, looked good, ran a good OS, and had applications I could take advantage of like Coda. I also wanted the option of exploring iOS development at some point. To me it was a matter of personal preference and I have plenty of Windows machines in the house so why on earth would I buy another? I don't NEED it.

I like Mac for browsing, school, and work related things. I also like having the ability to freely hop between OS X and Windows. I don't think either is "better" than the other but they are certainly better suited for different tasks.

My Windows machine is a 2600k @ 4.3Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and 2 overclocked GTX580s in SLI. It is plenty "snappy" for me in windows and I am well aware I can run OS X on a PC if I jump through hoops while standing on my head but it is much easier, and much more legal, to simply purchase a macbook pro for a couple hundred more than an equal quality laptop from the windows camp that can run OS X.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

TSE said:
One could put Windows on a Mac and have it as their primary OS they wanted to, but they'd be paying a premium for the hardware.

You definitely would be paying a large premium.

I think the only companies that match Mac in hardware are:

Sony's flagship models, HP Elitebook, Thinkpad (not the Edge series) all have great build quality that matches or beats Apple.

Not to mention dells, since one of their dell AIO Inspiron models match the hardware of the low-end iMac for £800

Or are you talking about price ;)

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
1. What? The Windows font is just thinner and not an option unless you type it into the word processor. It still looks the same and it is not "rendered terribly". The windows PC is 1920x1080 and the Macbook Pro is 1440x900. 11pt Font in Pages for Mac and Word 2010 for Windows.

Didn't appear like that for me when I was using a Windows machine, I have to say it wasn't legitimate files that I got... :D Just got it from a blog website, it was made by HP for their printers. Gosh unless I was looking at the text at font sizes +40, it looked very bad.

But now that I know the reason, the case is closed. ;)

I can still justify my reasons for buying a Mac because of that font though - I looked at Linotype website and having seen the cost...
http://www.linotype.com/526/helvetica-family.html

Might as well buy a new computer.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010

Haha, I changed nothing. When you attack someone on an error, make sure you're not the one who is wrong. Suggesting I changed the title is admitting that you got it wrong. :rolleyes:

----------

Censorship is alive and well here at MacRumors... :confused:

Yep. Lion is the greatest OS according to Macrumors. I beg to differ.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Mark28-

It's personal preference. Some people like Windows, other people like Macs.

I have found that OS X does a better job with multi-tasking and battery management. I am more efficient and can manage multiple applications easily when using OS X vs. Windows 7.

Not discounting Windows 7 at all. It's a great operating system, but whenever I go to my bootcamp partition, I feel like I took a step back.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Haha, I changed nothing.

If you didn't, someone else did.

When you attack someone on an error, make sure you're not the one who is wrong.

I wasn't attacking anyone, and I was right.

Suggesting I changed the title is admitting that you got it wrong. :rolleyes:

Even if I was wrong about what you had put, I was still correct on what I was saying.

buy
verb /bī/ 
bought, past participle; bought, past tense; buying, present participle; buys, 3rd person singular present

Obtain in exchange for payment
- we had to find some money to buy a house
- he had been able to buy up hundreds of acres
- he bought me a new dress
- had no interest in buying into an entertainment company

Taken from here.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
You, ma'am are absolutely correct. I don't like it. You are also incorrect and probably not from the U.S. or as ignorant of the law as most Americans are.

DonMega signing off to "start my own rumors website"... :rolleyes:
What's incorrect about it? Last time I checked, MacRumors ≠ US government

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK

Well, thank you for the exhaustive and definitive OS comparison.
I now no longer need to read anything more on the subject and will now buy all new windows machines and set fire to my now obsolete Macs. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.