why do people get bumpers and cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by x-evil-x, Sep 29, 2012.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

to me your making it look like the 4 4s. covering the sides of the phone you basically cover what looks good about the phone. And the back.

i understand its for protection a lot of the time. But there are some people that like cases more than a naked phone i dont understand this.

2. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I think u answered your own question.

3. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

im just seeing if most people that buy cases either like cases or just use them for protection.

4. Damme macrumors newbie

I use the bookbook case for convenience. I like having my wallet and phone as one unit.

When I'm at home I use my phone naked and I pick up my case when I'm leaving the house :)

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The phone can be easier to grip and nicer to hold with a case, as iPhones are becoming increasingly thinner ;)

6. BB.King macrumors regular

I found the iphone 5 a little too sharp to hold compared to 4S, a rubber bump helps make it more comfortable to use and make it more grippy to hold.

Also the Aluminium edge is not as tough/hard as the stainless steel on the 4/4S, so a case will help in the long run as I'll take the phone in and out of pockets and bump into things.

I brought 3 different colour bumpers on eBay for less than £10, so can't complain.

7. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

This is the main reason I'm getting a bumper for the iPhone 5 when I went naked with the 4S.

8. mytran80 macrumors regular

Sweaters make me look fat but hey I like to dress up ;)

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

This is what i use so my iphone can look like a nokia lumia!

[​IMG]

10. appswipe, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

appswipe macrumors 6502

There's a popular idea that the reason Apple uses such minimalistic design that emphasizes thinness rather than coating it in rubber or colors is because they only make the "core" of the product and leave all the customizing to the consumer.

If you want an easy to grip purple phone then you buy a purple TPU case. If you want an overly fancy rich girl phone then you buy a pink designer case. If you want ultra durability then you get a hard case. If you want your phone to look like a bear you get some weird incredibly awkward to hold bear shaped case. And if you want it to look just like it does in the commercial then you carry it without a case.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This "core" idea makes the iPhone the most personalized phone available because with such high popularity, minimalistic design and two available colors then its pretty easy to make such a popular device look different from everyone else's phone IF you want it to.

Personally, I prefer no case but with the iPhone 5 then I think there are many reasons to use a case on these:
    - Hide manufacturing blemishes
    - Protect the delicate aluminum from dings and scratches
    - Maintain condition for resale value
    - Comfort from hard edges (IMO, this is Apples most uncomfortable phone due to hard edges)
    - Add girth/weight to a phone that may be considered too thin or too light

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Yuck!

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I like a minimalist case that offers just a little extra grip. Like the Incipio Feather. I also use a case when in the car using my phone as GPS.

13. mooseknuckles macrumors member

To the OP: How many kids do you have? How active is your lifestyle?

If you have ever bought a pair of skinny jeans then I totally understand why you see not need for a case.

Contrary to belief, there are many of us out there that use our phones as tools. We do not show them off naked in a bar to try and impress anyone with our new gun metal sides. We take them out in the mountains, rivers, deserts, ocean, jumping out of planes, in the snow, in the gym and everywhere in between.

I have destroyed, absolutely smashed both a 4 and 4s w/a case and full body wraps on. Genius said they had never seen one that bad, of course this was in a big city and I am sure not many people in that city get out and play in the environments I mentioned above. I am hard on equipment and that is what the phone is, a piece of equipment.

If you are still not convinced you need a case, add in a couple of kids!

14. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

If I had kids it would be different ill give that to you but I've never had a case on mine since the 4. I just like the way the phone looks without it being covered up. I'm careful with everything I own. I'm very active and use my phone all the time never had an issue with it being naked. I don't ever drop my phone. I was just curious why most people get cases besides protection. It's not like they add to the look of the phone it takes away more than anything.

15. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

Personally, I'd like to go all natural - naked. However, I'd like to protect my purchase by having some sort of case. I did like the bumper idea on the 4/4s. It did what it needed to do (protect) and retained the original look. Accidents happen and we've all dropped our phone. I never understood the Otterbox. It hides the quality of design and what makes the iPhone standout. But, to each is own and some are more harsh on their equipment than others - I get that!

16. meistervu macrumors 65816

comfort

I am torn between the look of the bare iP5 and the way it feels in my hands. I prefer a soft touch of a leather case or a case like my old Incase Slider.

The iP5 is lighter than my old iP4 so it's more comfortable to use without a case, but to me it feels almost too thin to hold comfortably, so a case will help.

Don't get me wrong: I love how thin and light the iP5 is. That gives me more flexibility in adding a case to it if I want to. And the crisp edges look really cool, and if feels great in my hand when I hold it mostly flat for texting or browsing the web, but a bit slippery when vertical as I make a call. It's also a bit tricky picking up the phone from a table.

I wish it were a bit more rounded on side like so:

17. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Some get cases for protection, some get cases for expression. I can't hold an iPhone 4/4S, the thing is just too slick. I like art, and having some on something I have in my hand 3/4 of every day is nice.

I think, even if Apple had the absolutely indestructible, immutable iPhone made of unobtainium, people would still get cases. Some people just wouldn't like the feel of unobtainium, and some are going to use it as a mobile bumper sticker, or ironic/iconic printed t-shirt.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't buy a phone so other people can admire it, I buy it so I can use it and personalize it. Part of that personalization is a case. I don't care what other people think but I like my case.

19. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

...which is why we will never do a case with a cutout for the Apple logo... :)