Why do people get envious like this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kabunaru, Jun 24, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

I noticed a lot when people buy a new Mac here on MacRumours, a lot of Mac users say they are envious of him/her (not all threads but some). Why is it like this? I thought only PC users would get envious of Mac users like this. Do some iMac owners secretly wish they had a Mac Pro? Do some MacBook users secretly wish they had a MacBook Pro? Why do some people get envious so easy when somebody buys a higher-speced Mac than him/her? I just noticed this a lot on MacRumours.
    I am looking to a good discussion on this. :) Thank you. :)

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Some people use the term envious simply as a way of "giving a thumbs up" to the good fortune of others. Its not a term I use very often, but I would not read to much into it.

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Because people with older technology might want the newer/faster technology. That is why people are envious. It doesn't need to be sinister envy or anything, but wouldn't you like to have a Ferrari instead of your Mustang? I'm not saying you aren't happy with your life, but cooler things are always nice.

Besides, the above poster put it well as a sort of thumbs up. Perhaps we should be discussing why some feel the need for other people to envy them?

4. kabunaru thread starter Guest

This is a cycle that will never stop. People will always get envious as long technology moves forward. For example, expect a few current Mac Pro owners to get envious of people who buy a Nehalem Mac Pro when that comes out and if the Nehalem Mac Pro is that much better. Then Nehalem users get envious of the next Mac Pro. Endless cycle.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

6. kabunaru thread starter Guest

So why do people try to make other people envy them?

7. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A fine line, not unlike genius and insanity.

I prefer to choose pride, and the hope of acceptance by the horde present.

9. kabunaru thread starter Guest

As long as humankind exists, so will envy. It's human nature.

10. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Some people stretch the meaning on envious. Some just wish they saved up a little more or waited a little while longer before buying.

11. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Well this is a silly thread.

God I wish I had a Mac Pro. Screw all of you Mac Pro owners! I hate you! AAAHH God I hate my stupid crap MacBook! I've had more fun playing with dog turds than using this piece of junk! I wish I was dead!

12. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Actually, it's not. And I think your conviction that it is belies the cynicism of your question.

I imagine that most people simply want to share the experience of owning something "neat." Whether you're the owner who gets to share the good news of an acquisition or the person who gets to congratulate the person, the underlying message seldom stems from insecurity or "envy."

For example, I would really like a new 24-inch iMac -- only I don't yet have a desk for it. So I've been checking out the forums here to read happy reports of people who just received theirs -- while looking for a desk that will fit in my bedroom. I look at the photos, and I read the reports of how well the new iMac performs -- and I think about how fun it will be to own one, too.

Honestly, I don't know any "envious" people. I think we aspire to have some of the material things other people have -- but in a nonexclusive way.

Now, if you're talking about the last seat in the last life boat of the Titanic, I agree you have a point.

13. kabunaru thread starter Guest

No, this is an interesting thread.
    I don't like it when people call a thread: "silly". It annoys me so much. :rolleyes:

That could be true for some people.

14. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

I think our fellow member is saying that this thread is a bit too philosophical.

In the years I've been a member and in the years I've read the site, I can't think of an instance where I saw someone trying to "brag" about their purchase or someone responding with envy.

My only complaint about the responses I've seen would center on the ones that berate somebody for reporting a bad experience with an Apple product. We have way too many Apple fanboys here, in my opinion.

I've used Apple Macintosh since 1988, and I have the discretionary income to afford Apple products, so what do I know?

15. kabunaru thread starter Guest

For desktop users, don't we all secretly wish we had a 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM, Quadro FX 5600, 1TB HD Mac Pro when money is not a factor? :rolleyes:

For pro laptop users, don't we all wish we had a maxed out MacBook Pro and/or for consumer laptop users, a maxed out MacBook when money is not a factor? :rolleyes:

Some MacBook users, don't we all secretly wish the MacBook had a matte screen option without an extra cost? :rolleyes:

Some iMac users, don't we all secretly wish the iMacs had a matte screen without an extra cost? :rolleyes:

So what happens if somebody comes along with a computer from one of the choices? One sentence: envy from other users (not most but some). :rolleyes:

That's my thinking...

16. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

You're complicating the issue. We WISH we had something more than we otherwise have. ENVY means we don't want someone else to have it; hence my comment about the last seat in the last lifeboat on the Titanic.

You and I and a bunch of other people can have a better computer, but I choose to spend my money in other ways. When you have a better computer, I can say COOL! and mean it. If you and I are competing for the same liver that will save our respective lives, I may SAY cool but inside I'm thinking uncool.

See the difference?

That's why I think you're missing the boat a bit with thinking ENVY underlies the discussion in a computer forum. Last I checked, Apple makes computers by the boatload.

Last I checked, livers are a bit more complicated.

17. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea your right .. it's silly ... And screw all the Mac Pro owners with 30" monitors!!! And dog turds ARE FUN!!!

18. kabunaru thread starter Guest

So if a guy or a girl buys a maxed out Mac Pro, you don't expect some people envying that person?
    Sorry if I am missing the boat but English is not my native language so it's hard for me to understand some complex English language ideas sometimes.

19. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

It's a matter of opinion, isn't it? Just because you think it's interesting and the thought that it's silly annoys you doesn't mean that it is interesting, or isn't silly. And might you be a bit biased considering this is your thread? You wouldn't post a topic you find "silly", of all things, would you?

I just think that "Why do people get envious like this?" is a useless question. It's our nature. We're living life to be the best. Who has the bigger car? Who has the nicer house? Who has the biggest payroll, the longest penis, the highest score on Through The Fire and Flames in Guitar Hero?

And this is all disregarding the fact that when most people use the phrase "I am envious," they're using it in a light-hearted way. It's not like they're outrageously discontent with their current state and are green with jealousy. It just means you always wish for what you can't have.

Silly.

[Edit]:
    :rolleyes:

20. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Some people will ENVY that person; most people won't care.

ENVY means wishing you have it better than someone else. It's not a simple matter of wanting to have the same thing. ENVY means no one can have what you have.

Most people simply aren't wired that way.

That's why I gave you the example of something PRECIOUS. Would you stake your sense of identity on a computer? I hope not! But how would your sense of identity shift with something a bit more precarious; such as the LAST SEAT ON THE LAST LIFE BOAT FROM THE TITANIC? What if someone you loved needed that seat?

These are the questions that generate ENVY in most people. Otherwise, enjoy what you have. Just don't blast your stereo when I'm trying to sleep, respect stop lights, etc.

Does that make sense?

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I doubt we're gonna break any new ground here, folks.

22. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Amen, friend!

23. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Still, why do you post in it if you going to keep saying things like that? I don't really like that even more. I want people to answer with straight-forward answers not some thread-calling answers you have given like this thread is "silly".
    If you don't like this thread, then leave. :rolleyes: Nothing annoys me more than people saying unnecessary stuff about the thread. :rolleyes:

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You got it! :)

I would venture to say, that most who say they are envious, are just saying that to indicate approval and to give a pat on the back to the person who purchase the new techo item.

25. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Thank you. :)

Oh I get it now.

Looks like people need to simplify their English when talking to me. :rolleyes:;)