Why do people hate the mighty mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MorphingDragon, Jun 28, 2009.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Im having one of my random moments. :eek:

Why do people hate the mighty mouse?

I just got one and I like how the whole shell is left click, and when I lift up my left finger the whole shell is right click. :D The spherical wheel is useful for large images in photoshop working at 100%.

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

If the mighty mouse functioned as it should all the time then it would be a good mouse. Problem is too many people are having the scroll ball problem where it refuses to scroll up or down or does so only after great effort. If they fixed this issue it would go a long way go the usability of the thing. Making the mouse more precise wouldn't hurt either.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ergonomics.

After using the relatively small and narrow MM for about a week my right hand had developed into a painful, stiff, useless claw.

Got myself a bigger and more ergonomic Logitech mouse and the claw healed nicely and my hand now works normally... ;)

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Not sure really, I bought one (wireless one), but after a few hours I shelved it and went back to the trackpad.. just didn't feel.. great I guess. Maybe it takes a bit of effort to appreciate..

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

RE: Why do people hate the mighty mouse?

"Ergonomics"

Exactly right.

Apple hasn't offered a decent mouse _or_ keyboard since back in the "ADB days".

Rather, their typing and pointing products seem to be designed more for style than for substance.

Granted, one of Apple's prime selling points over other PC's has been Apple's attention to style in addition to function. That's ok for the CPU and/or monitor (as in the case of the all-in-one iMacs), but that design philosophy stumbles where _direct_ user input is involved (i.e., hands on mouse or keyboard). At that point, ANYthing that overrides basic ergonomic function will detract from the user experience.

How many folks remember the first iMac mouse (the round "hockey puck")? Or some of the keyboards they've offered in the last 6-7 years?

A PC-using friend just got a new iMac a few months' back. He _immediately_ had trouble trying to make the Mighty Mouse work, vis-a-vis a typical Windows 2-button mouse with scroll wheel. The flat aluminum keyboard isn't working out with him so well, either - nor does it for me. As someone who learned to type on manual typewriters in the 1960's, and then moved on to teletype terminals in the Army, I need a _real_ keyboard with contoured keys and real feedback to "feel what I'm doing". When I try to type on the Apple aluminum keyboard, my fingers "get lost" quickly.

I guess that's why I wouldn't use one. Since I moved up to a PowerMac g4 in 2004, and then to an Intel iMac in 2007, I've never used the Apple mice. And I used the iMac keyboard (the white one) as long as I could stand it, and then replaced it with a MacAlly "IceKey" which is considerably better.

These days, I use a Logitech MX-610 mouse for the g4, and a Microsoft "Blue" mouse for the iMac. The Logitech mouse in particular is miles ahead of ANY product that Apple has EVER sold.

But again, Apple has to keep proving how much "style" they can offer us. When will the folks in Cupertino finally begin to understand that - insofar as pointing and typing are concerned - style means next to nothing? And that "function" is the most important word of all?

- John

6. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

Well, my first Mac is still in the mail, but the times I've used the Mighty Mouse on display models, I'd never had an issue with right-clicking unless it happened to be turned off. (In which case I went to the mouse settings and turned it on to play with it, and had no problems.) But I'll reserve final judgment for when I actually have one to use 10 hours a day.

Unfortunately, I'll need to buy a mouse where I can click both the right and left buttons at the same time, so the Mighty Mouse can't be my only mouse.

As for the keyboard, since getting used to a laptop as my main computer for a while, I notice I type much, much faster on a low-clearance keyboard than I do on a regular keyboard. The keys feel very gummy and stubborn when I type on regular keyboards now and it drives me crazy. I'm also developing pains in my wrists when I never did before, because I'm not used to have to tilt my hands up from the wrists so much to get on top of the keys anymore. I'm really looking forward to the Apple keyboard and I don't expect I'll be replacing it.

But I can completely understand disliking such short-clearance keys, especially if you learned on a typewriter. I touch-type around 110 wpm (120 wpm if I'm hopped up on caffeine), so as long as I have those guide nubs on my F and G keys, I'm fine and can use any keyboard. Although split, ergonomic keyboards are hell for me, as I apparently learned to type a few letters incorrectly and end up reaching for empty space in the middle on those.

7. DavidR91 macrumors member

The ball stops working after a very short amount of time - mine didn't even regain functionality after cleaning.

It also doesn't track very well - mine didn't even work on my wooden desk. After the scroll died, I bought a brand new MS Explorer mouse (blue track) and I've never looked back - brilliant tracking, excellent wireless and battery life, and a great scroll wheel that doesn't stop working.

It's a shame too, because the keyboard is excellent - the mouse lets the peripheral side of the machine down

8. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I like it too however the only issue I have found which is a tad bit annoying is how sometimes the trackball gets crud in it and sticks a bit but I just need to not be so piggy with my stuff.

9. Gugalpm macrumors member

The mighty mouse is cool but it's not that good. Ergonomically it's a bit flawed and it could have more functions and dpi.

Now, about the keyboards... I've been using Apple Keyboards for a while now, since before I switched from PC to Mac. They're awesome. Anybody that complains about the light-touch keyboards just doesn't know how to type.

10. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Having four of them - can't agree more. They get dirty and need near constant maintenance to remain operable. Fine out of the box but give it a few weeks and you'll be posting "how to make scroll work again?" thread.;)

11. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I like mine. And as long as you have relatively clean hands it doesn't get dirty.

And if you clean it off periodically it stays clean all the time.

To fix the scroll ball, get a clean sheet of legal paper and rub the mouse upside down vigorously in all directions (360 degrees!) until all the dirt and grime is off.

This works for me, and I've had my MM for ages and love it!

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

People hate it cuz it's quite an expensive mouse considering it's like a 5 year old design.

13. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I like the MM but it does have it's flaws.

For one, the trackball will get dirty after use and makes your scrolling not work after time. You have to clean it periodically in order to fix it.

And second, the two side buttons seem to get pressed accidentally when working and this can be very frustrating at times. I decided to turn that function off.

So, if you can deal with cleaning the trackball from time to time, it's a very useful mouse. I particularly like that you can scroll in 360º. Very useful in graphic programs.

I use the MM at work and replaced my home MM with the MX Revolution. Very good alternative with much more options IMO.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess I am in the minority as usual
    I use mine all of the time and I have never had any problems with it

I know some are very particular about their mouse and its functionality
    I have just never had the need for anything different

It works for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

+1

I'm not real particular about my mice either. I've always just used whatever came with my computer. That said, I actually do like the mm more than other mice I've used. I've had the one that came with my mac pro for over a year and although it took me a little while to get used to the buttons on the side, I've never had a problem with the scroll ball. I don't know, maybe I just have exceptionally small and clean hands or something...

16. krzyglue macrumors regular

krzyglue

What? "... doesn't know how to type."? I mean, they're usable, but they are not the best keyboards for SERIOUS typing. There's a reason why people who really type a lot still prefer keyboards with buckling-spring technology (a la the IBM Model M).

I'd buy one, if it didn't cost so much. http://www.daskeyboard.com/

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. Halsey12 macrumors regular

The scroll ball becomes unusable after very little use, even with cleaning.

I am on my 4th mighty mouse... they all have unusable scroll balls.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Interesting
    I have never cleaned mine and I have never had a problem with it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

20. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

...unless your mouse is made out of AWESOME! :D

There are plenty of other >$50 mice out there. I think the BT part is partly to blame. The wired, wireless, and then BT mouse options out there create the pricing tiers.

21. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Love apple keyboards, (typing on a bluetooth keyboard now) and HATE their mice. I actually use a VX Nano and love it.

22. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I feel like im just recapping everyone here:

• The shape is not hand-friendly
    • The scroll ball gets screwed up all the time
    • You a much better mouse for the same amount of money
    • Theres only 4 buttons (including the ball button)
    • Right-clicking requires you to light your left finger up

I use a logitech Mx518. It has 7 fully-programmable buttons, on-the-fly dpi adjustments, a fairly ergonomic design, and it cost me $27.

23. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

If we are talking keyboards here I just wish they would backlight them like my MacBook Pro. I still think their BT keyboard is the best though. I am just saying they have something they could improve. Then they could put and S on the name of them. :p

24. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

i love the might mouse, on my second wireless, my 2 year old triplet boys dismantle the last one, apple care does not cover that.

as for the roller ball, it easy to clean, but wished it was a bit more robust.

I clean with a baby wipe or damp towel will work, just scrub back and forth side to side until it works again, this can take a few minutes to get it cleaned.

it would be good if you could pop it out and clean the rollers like the old roller ball mice.

25. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

wish they would backlight the wireless keyboard as well, or just backlight all the keyboards.