iPad Why do people have an iPad and a laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Andrew Ryan, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Andrew Ryan macrumors newbie

I was thinking about getting an iPad before i bought my macbook. Now, I have a laptop for all my computing needs.

Is getting a 300-600 dollar device just to consume some media a good use of money?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Only you can decide that.

3. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I use it to surf the web while watching TV, it plays sports great on ESPN

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It depends on the person obviously. What I consider good use of money and what you consider good use of money may be two different things.

I have two MacBooks sitting here and a Retina Mini. I use them all daily and take the Mini with me when I am out. I would never think about taking the MB with me like I did a few years ago.

5. Andrew Ryan thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I just don't understand why people have really nice laptops and an iPad.

seems expensive to just have a handheld web browser.

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Maybe you aren't meant to understand.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The reason some people have an iPad and a laptop, is because they want both devices. It isn't about justifying the purchase to other people, which seems to be a logical fallacy theme here on MacRumors.

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't like carrying my MacBook Pro around. It's too heavy.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have both and each serves different and overlapping purposes. I generally leave my MBP at home and carry the iPad Mini around with me. Plus I carry the iPad around the house to different rooms while leaving the MBP in one room most of the time.

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

are you saying you iPad only lets you web browse?

12. JackieInCo macrumors 601

He/she is holding it wrong.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Laptop I've owned since 2009, used for movies and anything that requires typing.

The iPad is the only device I can use comfortably to read.

14. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i use my iPad for my books, and when i don't want to use my computer to surf internet and play games and what not.

15. sixrom macrumors 6502a

I have my stellar retina equipped 15" MBP for work and personal, it's the center of my Apple ecosystem. Whereas my iPads mini & Air are just for fun. I have distinct uses for each of them.

16. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

I don't have an iPod, but I do have an HP Touchpad running Cynogenmod.

I also have a desktop and two laptops that are all used on a consistent basis.

There are things that I can't do on my Touchpad as easily as I could on my laptop. This includes word documents, excel, photo and video editing, etc... even with my bluetooth keyboard.

Also there are some things that I don't want to do on my laptops that I do on my desktop, especially when there's something that takes a bit of processing power, I don't want my 100 degree laptop on my lap when I can have my desktop being blown off by 5 fans and staying cool.

I also have one laptop that is loaded with school crap and another that I just keep photos videos on.

Now that may be more than you were looking for, but the point being is that they all have their purposes and they all do better at some things compared to others.

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

It's hard to use a laptop while sitting on the toilet.

(Where would I put the chips?)

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. No. I don't know. :confused:

Seriously. Why does this bother you?

19. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I have an iPad mini and an HP mini. I use to use my HPmini every day until I got my iPad mini. Now, I use my iPad mini for most everything such as going to macrumors.com and other web browsing and for YouTube plus it is way more portable than any laptop. I have my HP mini for work/school so I can make Microsoft word documents and Power Points. Here is my HP:)

Attached Files:

20. mhdena macrumors 6502

Some people have 2 to 3 cars

Some guys have more than 1 suit

Some guys have no suit

Who cares

21. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

The iPad can be a personal hotspot.(currently MacBooks cannot)
    Better for reading.
    The list goes on all you need to do a search the Apple website. Find a verse lol

22. nickdylan macrumors regular

I like the iPad for reading, gaming, and one-handed web browsing (when I'm eating, laying it on a surface). Even though the 13" rMBP is very portable, I'd rather keep it packed away and use my iPad on shorter flights.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I do have a MacBook Air, but I mostly leave it at the office -- I basically use it as a desktop that I can occasionally bring home with me if need be.

The iPad comes with me everywhere I go. I use it to read on the subway and buses during my commute, in bed, on the sofa, curled up in the armchair, etc.

Before the iPad, I always wished I could just take the keyboard off my notebooks so I could just READ. With the iPad, I finally have the device I wanted. Yes, the iPad could be characterized as "just" a handheld web browser (and an ebook reader), but for me, a handheld web browser is exactly what I want. And well worth the money -- if I divide the cost of the iPad by the amount of time I spend on it, and do the same for the MacBook, I think the iPad would come out way ahead.

24. Clubber macrumors member

I mainly use the iPad as a portable internet TV. I also need one for testing my apps, so there's the justification. The kids love it for games and kid shows.

25. Andrew Ryan thread starter macrumors newbie

The iPad devalues the laptop that you currently have.

I mean, for 300-600 bucks more, your laptop could be even more powerful.

If I bought an ipAd for 500 bucks, that would make my laptop collect more dust.

The iPad is limited in what it can do, but its stellar for consuming media.