Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
What do people do on their iPhone that requires them upgrading to a new phone every year?

I can see the need to upgrade if you play games I guess.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
What do people do on their iPhone that requires them upgrading to a new phone every year?

You assume to much. How do you account for the amount of people that don't upgrade to a new phones, and who don't post in forums?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Lots of reasons.

Some feel they deserve a new toy each year for working so hard at their job.

Some feel better when they have the latest gadget and envious without.

Some just need to update to get back functionality an OS update robbed them of.

I could go on and on with reasons... but the main thing is that each person has their own reasons for upgrading (and are not to be judged).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

We don't need a new phone all the time. We just want one. My finances are such that I could upgrade every year, but I skip the s version as its not much of an upgrade. Buy the time you sell your previous iPhone it doesn't work out half as expensive as you think.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I skip the S cycle and upgrade every two years. It costs nothing to do so with the sale of my old phone. You get a new warranty and a new phone for basically nothing.

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Because these days a phone does everything and its better to be updated with technology.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Because I have money. Which means I can buy what ever I want, when ever I want. Without having to justify it to any one.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
We don't need a new phone all the time. We just want one. My finances are such that I could upgrade every year, but I skip the s version as its not much of an upgrade. Buy the time you sell your previous iPhone it doesn't work out half as expensive as you think.

On the contrary , the "S" models are far better than the normal models.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Prior to this year, because not upgrading meant giving AT&T free money since subsidies were built into the rate plans. :rolleyes:

joeptp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Austin, TX
Lots of reasons.

Some feel they deserve a new toy each year for working so hard at their job.

Some feel better when they have the latest gadget and envious without.

Some just need to update to get back functionality an OS update robbed them of.

I could go on and on with reasons... but the main thing is that each person has their own reasons for upgrading (and are not to be judged).

This.

Besides being a total tech geek, I like to reward myself for working hard. I think the joy I get when getting a new phone is worth the money, and I am sure many here get the same feeling when they get their hands on a new tech toy. No stress + happy is good for your health :)

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Its not that most of us NEED new phones, its because we WANT new phones. AT&T and Apple have no problem with my wants as long as I am wanting to give them my money. :) :D

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I work hard in my job and the £300 spent each year to get the latest device that I use ALL day EVERYDAY is a very small price to pay.

Although when I update my MacBook almost as often, buy Focus RS's and other things, then the missus starts rolling her eyes.

Hey, I keep a roof over our heads, have no debts (apart from mortgage) and pay all the bills, so who is she to complain :p :D :apple:

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I upgrade every year due to the following reasons

1: Resale value of the iPhones (sell current one to off set cost of new one)
2: Save over the year
3: can write off part of the phone purchase for business use
4: fun money saved over the year (we set aside a small guilt free spending money) I save mine for the most part for my yearly iphone upgrade.

Who am I kidding always like to have the newest version of phone but if I could not do anyone the above I would wait the 2 year replacement cycle.

Tech changes and improves every year and in the tech support business you need to keep current.

It's easy to save just cut our one coffee a day and sell your old iPhone , bag a lunch once in a while and you will have the cash to change out every year and not carry a balance on your credit card

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I have a two year rotation.

The cost of the phone to me is $50/year, when buying the most expensive phone.

Assuming, $399, until this year. After two years, selling it for $300, unlocked.

This year, my "for sale phone" has a brand new battery. Thanks Apple.

Additionally, for the passed 5 years, I put all my birthday money towards the new phone. It pays to have a summer birthday.

My total out of pocket expenses, nets $0, counting birthday money... If I stop the cycle, I might end up paying more, which I don't really want to do. What I mean by this, the return of investment covers much of the cost of the new phone. The longer I wait, the lower the return. So the pain is felt the next time I buy a new phone.

I don't know how the new price is going to factor. I may end not being able to recoup the costs after 2 years. ($499) I am worried, the 128GB will still be worth $300 after two years, which sucks.

Additionally, if I don't buy a phone, every two years, I am paying for the subsidy, for nothing. (two lines, means every year, interleaved)

My wife and I have been using the iPhone since the First Gen. I give her my year old phone. She is perfectly happy with this situation. She gets a "newish" phone every year, and I get the "untested" model.

I already have people asking me about my 2 year old phone for sale.

I have to wait until the 14th before I unlock it. But then I can take it (64GB - iPhone 5 - White) and sell it for going market prices. I think $300 is more than fare.

----------

Ever since the iPhone came out, I have not upgraded my personal desktop computer ONCE.

It doesn't hurt that my 2006 PC is a quad core - ATI HD 2600 XT setup. But still I would have some pretty awesome setup today, if I didn't play the annual iPhone purchase plan.

lol... Not missing it.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
It just makes sense to me to upgrade each year while my current phone still has a decent re sale value. It makes the upgrade each year affordable. It's the best way to do it for me as I refuse to tie myself into a 24 month phone contract with a network.

lizpotless

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
On the contrary , the "S" models are far better than the normal models.

The only people who say that are the people who are all jealous and butt hurt they are stuck on a 2 year cycle that sees them stuck upgrading to the rehashed s phones.
I'm on the proper cycle, I.e iPhone 4, 5, 6, etc. None of the tiny spec bump upgrades for me, my upgrades are always the real deal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.