Why do people rag on the 13"MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macness, Feb 24, 2012.

1. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

why does everyone seem to rag on the 13" MBP? i don't really do any gaming, and with the airplay mirroring coming up in mountain lion, is the resolution even that big a deal?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not "everyone" rags on it. Not sure what you're talking about.

3. that1guyy macrumors 6502

Well frankly its really underpowered compared to the 15 and 17 inch models, and comparable to to the Airs in terms of processing speed. Some people think its undeserving of the "pro" moniker or an irrelevant product altogether.

4. macness thread starter macrumors 6502a

macness

i just feel like its the sweet spot for someone who needs a causal desktop computer to store all there music and photos on, multitask web browsing, the odd game or 2, but also needs to be able to carry it around once or twice a week. Am i wrong? would an Air of been better?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Everyone doesn't. Buy what fits your needs and ignore what everyone else thinks or says. You're the one who will be stuck every day, using whatever computer you decide to buy, not them.

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I had a white MB and now a MBP 13''. I am loving it. I would never get anything bigger than that. If i need more screen size then i will just plug it to my 42'' TV.

People rag on the 13'' MBP because they think it doesn't deserve a 'Pro'. Who cares? I am not worry about that.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I've never heard anyone "rag" on it ... not quite sure who these "everyone" you speak of are?

8. KohPhiPhi, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Here's my take on the current MBP 13":

The main problem with the 2011 MBP 13" is the 2011 MBA 13".

I mean, the current MBP 13" is very close in terms of performance with the 2011 MBA 13", but it weights a whole 66% more and sports a clearly outdated 1200x800 resolution (I can't believe Apple upgraded the MBAs resolution back in 2010 but they never did it for the MBP. Why?!?!?).

Sure, the MBP 15" and 17" are proper power machines, but the MBP 13" has unfortunately lagged behind as of lately.

I've read quite a few online comparisons about MBP 13" vs. MBA 13", and they all conclude that the performance gap is a mere 5% to 10%, which is not enough to differentiate itself as a "pro" machine.

In my opinion, for the 2012 upgrade, Apple should either beef up the MBP 13" significantly or to simply merge it with the MBA 13". As it stands now a days, there's no real point in marketing both model separately considering how close they both are in terms of A) performance and B) target audience (let's face it: they're both a consumer's laptop, since the MBP 13" is not really a true pro laptop like the MBP 15" and 17").

9. roofz macrumors regular

80% of the computers I see on my university campus are 13" MBPs

People buy what they like and can afford. People tend to rag on that which they deem inferior.. when frankly the vast majority of people don't care what they say

10. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i love my 13" mbpro, and would NOT swap it out for the air.
    doing pro audio on it, and the 8gig ram is one reason i prefer it to the air.

that, and the ports (fw800 is very useful). plus, to be honest, i prefer the aesthetic...

in nyc, i see them everywhere (well, starbucks...).

i run logic on it, and NEVER have issues (even with very dense mixes).

it's a GREAT mac.

11. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

I've never had an experience with the 15" or 17" but I recently got this laptop (13"MBP late 2011) as a gift for returning to school this summer but as my experience with this laptop so far for a week or so. I am loving it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. As for the screen size, it's right for me. I guess like what everyone says, it's what your needs are. This fits my needs exactly so, I am just throwing my opinions out here and my experience with my new laptop :)

12. throAU, Feb 25, 2012

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Horses for courses. The 13" pro has more ports, can take 16 gigs of memory and has easily (read: apple sanctioned) user-replacable storage. it has a faster CPU.

If you don't need any of the above, are fine with 4gb max RAM, then sure, the Pro looks like a bit of a waste of time, but if those things are important to you (i.e., you're doing pro level stuff on it) the air is a non-starter.

Doesn't matter how light it is, and how fast the inbuilt SSD is, if you're trying to crunch > 4gb data sets on it.

Ditto if you need fast networking. Wireless N is reasonable with the theoretical 450 megabit you can get (300 on an air with only 2 antenna), but in the real world, it does not go through walls very well at that sort of speed, and the realistic max speed you'll see unless sitting on top of an AP is in the 100 megabit range. Shared between everyone on the AP. Vs Gigabit per user when using a pro on a wired network.

If you have multiple users in an office that all need fast networking, and/or you are storing and retrieving large data files from network storage, the air just won't cut it.

The air is a fine machine for light usage and portability (e.g., casual home user stuff, student usage, web development, etc, etc). It is NOT a Macbook Pro 13" replacement.

13. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For me it was all about the storage space. I love having an SSD and HDD inside my MBP. I get the SSD storing the OS for speedy boots and App launches and the HDD for all my files. I didn't really need a more powerful machine.

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

Cause a cheapo Asus costing half the money is way more powerful than a 13 MBP.

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Which is fine. If you don't care about OS X, a trackpad that works and build quality that isn't crap.

16. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

who rags on the mpb everyone i know that owns one loves it.

17. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

18. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

I think is stick with flexibility over size/weight so I'd always get a 13 mbp over a MBA, that's If we even have a choice in the next release

Bring on the retina display MacBooks!

19. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

13" MBP is an entry level Mac laptop.

I bought a 13" MBP for my Mum as she didn't need to play games but wanted a DVD drive built in. I could have got her a Windoze machine for a fraction of the price but she is over 65 and finds anything even remotely complex in a computer completely mystifying. So I chose the platform I understand best and like to use myself. She loves it, if the MBA had a DVD drive she would have loved that instead, but the add-on one was a turn off for her.

The display looks fantastic next to an entry level PC laptop screen and it clocks 6600 Geekbench scores from its i5 CPU. I put 8 GB of RAM in it (£36.50 on Amazon) and now it runs WoW at 30 fps in a 25 man raid, without a proper GFX card!

For an entry level Apple laptop it does a great job of making entry level PC laptops look like the shoddy built pieces of crap they are. A 15" MBP is £550 more and a MBA for the same cash comes with a slower CPU, 2" less screen diameter, smaller but faster storage and no RAM expansion.

If you are ragging on the 13" MBP then you probably bought the wrong one. :D

20. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

That's fine if you don't mind spending more ($100) for less (no superdrive and a much smaller hard drive).

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have one and I like it, and to be honest I don't see people ragging on it.

It may not fit everyone's needs, in fact it is not fitting my need any longer but its a great portable machine. I need something with a better GPU and more screen real estate. I suspect people who chose something other then the 13" go through similar thought processes

22. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not an apples to apples comparison. SSD vs HDD and greater resolution and AG. So without the ODD it still is a better value for the air, so not really a more for less comparison.

23. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

24. Frozzie macrumors regular

15 inch users are thinking 13 inches should be kicked out of their own "premium belief group". That is all that is there about 13 inches.

I believe 2009 13 and 15 inch models were closely matching in terms of CPU and GPU... then all the sudden the gap started to increase...

???

25. KohPhiPhi, Feb 25, 2012

KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

You do NOT get less on the MBA. You simply get different things (which I personally value). You get SSD, you get a much lighter laptop, you get better screen resolution (that was my main reason for not getting the pro).

The MBP 13" is by far Apple's laptop that needs the upcoming 2012 update the most.

I'm not bashing it in any way, but it's just lagged too much behind MBP 15" and 17" to the point of being very close to the MBA 13". Don't believe me? simply search for online benchmark comparisons between MBP 13" and MBA 13" and you will see how close they are now a days in term of performance (benchmarks proof that the gap is just a mere 5% to 10%).