Why do people say the S models are just minor upgrades?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyp350, Sep 13, 2015.

1. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

So often I see people on here stating that the S model iPhones are only a minor upgrade and they are going to wait for the next 'properly new' iPhone. It's actually the S models that introduce the major new technologies such as Siri, Touch ID and now Force Touch that actually change the way we use our phones.
    The new number models haven't had a major new feature since the iPhone 4's retina screen, it's always a new physical design with a new processor and the usual upgrade to the camera.
    The new sizes of the 6 were so new to iPhone users that everyone seemed to overlook the fact that there weren't actually any new features or technology.
    I always upgrade every year but I always think of the S models as the bigger upgrade.

2. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

B'coz a layman usually goes like "oh they look the same, apple suxxxx, they released the same phone".

3. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I find ironic, the number upgrades are usually just the same phone re-housed in a new design, whereas the S models actually give us something new.

4. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since posting this I've actually remembered that the iPhone 6 had NFC which allows Apple Pay, that is pretty major.
    I still stand by my initial opinion that the S cycle phones have more/better new features.

5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

people usually want new phones (especially now-a-days when stuff hasn't apps haven't called for much hardware change)just to look like they have the latest and greatest gadget. If it looks the same people don't know you are "one of the first" to have the new model. I am assuming this is why apple put the S on the back now, so people could visually tell it was an S model. I will get it soon since tmobile is offering like 355 for my model, but this is one of the first years I haven't gone out of my way to preorder in some fashion (was with ATT before tmobile).

6. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

It is probably mostly related to what the device looks like.

I remember thinking at the time that the 5 to 5S seemed to be a decent jump, whereas the 5S to 6 seemed like a smaller jump.

My experiences with those caused me to move from 6 to 6S, and quietly resolve to skip the 7 whic, if history serves, will be a relatively small jump.

With my luck, the 7 will be a huge platform change and I won't be able to resist. ☺️

7. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Because people don't wanna spend money so they convince themselves the upgrade is not worth it

8. philbo7 macrumors regular

philbo7

I agree with the main point. The number upgrade is mainly design changes and the S upgrade is mainly feature changes. However, I joined the AT&T Next 12 in order to upgrade every year. Not to show off. I'll pay extra for my own geeky use and pleasure.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

As others said, it is mainly b.c the looks stay the same. Otherwise, you always get a new processor, camera, features, etc. basically everything a new phone should be...

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I would consider NFC payments, implemented last year, as a huge change in how we use our phones. I would also say that the option for an enormous screen has also cahgned the way I use my phone. But overall I agree. S models don't get the love they deserve. Same with cars. Poeople notice when you change the exterior. Give the car a new engine, better chassis, etc. and most consumers won't be drawn to it. We want shiny new things and we want it to be clear that we have said shiny new things. Look at the Rose gold phone. I am sure some people were wiaitng for a pink phone to come out. But if you don't think the majority of people chose pink because it's new and different, well... I won't finish that sentence.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I have purchased every model and the s is always a massive improvement. People will bitch about the design but hey ho that's how the Apple gravy train works.

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

I posted this in another thread, to a similar point:

It does seem a bit of sour grapes IMO, there seems to be a split between buyers:

• Those that can't for whatever reason move to a 6S/+. These folks seem to feel they have to convince others that the new phones are no good, stock levels are good so they are not popular as no one is buying them and therefore their "decision" not to get one is the only one to make.
    • Those that are moving to the new phones, who simply think that the world's biggest tech company is fed up of seeing all the negative stuff about people not getting phones and have made a concerted effort to ensure better release day stock levels everywhere and increase customer satisfaction.
    I'm obviously with the latter train of thought.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Simple.....

1. They just like to argue,

or.....

2...they have not compared this models improvements over the last in a mature way to actually notice all the improvements,

or

3. they are depressed that their model is now older, and someone else has a better one.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

... But these "new technologies" weren't fullyimplemented until the next generation.

Siri - Introduced with 4S but buggy and frustrating until iPhone 5
    Touch ID - Introduced with 5s but no NFC for Pay until iPhone 6
    3D Touch - Introduced with 6S but we'll see it really shine next year with widespread support

None of that is a slam on Apple. They are using "beta features" as an effective marketing tool. But if you're really going to look back at what is "better" then most people would say "having the new tool properly implemented" over "being first to use an unfinished gimmick". (Note: 3D Touch is not a gimmick which is why I'm upgrading from 6 to 6S. But we will look back at it one day as being "incomplete")

Well now you're just trying too hard to make your point. The screen size bump for the 6 models are the biggest Apple "feature" ever. A bigger screen may not have changed how the phone functioned but being able to see your phone definitely changed how people used them.

15. eyedoc2020 macrumors regular

I think it has to do with us being such visually oriented. The regular remodels come with new software AND a design change. The S models come with a software upgrade but still the same physical design. Many cannot grasp how big if a 'change' it is without a physical change in the actual device. Just my 2 cents...

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

4 didnt give Retina?
    5 didnt give LCD size and Airdrop and LTE.?
    6 didnt give LCD size and NFC and ApplePay?

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

This might be the best S upgrade they have had

18. kasakka macrumors 68000

Because they usually aren't. Touch ID is the only truly useful feature in years and spec bumps mean little when the non-S is already fast and takes good pictures. At the moment to me the phone's physical design is one of the main selling points. I have a Galaxy S4 and cannot stand the S5 or S6 because they're unnecessarily big wheareas the S4 essentially fixed the main issues of the S3 (large bezels and too low res display). Same with iPhones, I like the 6S size but the design is IMO nowhere near as nice as the 5.

19. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I buy the S model because those upgrades offer the major performance improvements. The iPhone 6 isn't much faster than the iPhone 5S so why spent so much money on it when they will be outdated around the same time due to lack of power.

20. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

They say it because aesthetically the phones don't change at all besides the addition of touchid from the 5-5+.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

For similar reasons to why people think that numbered upgrades are just a new design and bribing else. ;)

22. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

It's because they're naive and ignorant and/or don't care for the updated features, that's why. I, for one, love the new and updated specs.

23. fsumom macrumors regular

Heck if I know. I'm stoked about getting my 6s. Try using a cracked iPhone 4 that doesn't charge well and you couldn't care less about waiting for the 7.

24. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Typically the S model looks identical or very close to identical to its previous model. This makes it hard for some owners to get the affirmation they may seek, in return for having spent several hundred dollars on the new gadget. On the other hand, a new design, does make itself very conspicuous to everyone around - and therefore more satisfying to an owner seeking affirmation of his status/ affluence/ taste etc.

25. andyp350 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree, i actually posted just after I opened the thread saying that I forgot momentarily about the NFC in iPhone 6, that was definitely big.