Why do people sweat small things?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ant131531, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ant131531 macrumors member

Why do people sweat small things like cracks in their phone and whatnot? I havent had any problems with my iPhone(overheating, cracks, or anything). I guess i am the lucky one who doesnt have any problems with anything..just incase, lets buy the 69 dollar applecare plan >.>

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Not sure I would say a crack in my phone or overheating to where the phone doesn't work is a small thing. That is just me though.

3. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I agree. People pay top dollar for the iPhone, then you should get top quality.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

We'd need a psychologist to answer that question. To me, it's just a nice phone, which as long as it's functional, I'm happy. I may be the minority.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'd agree neither of those are small things. I haven't had a problem with any of the 3 generations of iPhones that I have had so far....When my phone gets hot it prolly means that I need to put it down and give it a break.:rolleyes:

6. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

It's 200-300 dollars just like alot of these other phones and i don't see people sweating them all the time. People are way too fanatic over the iphone and they are going to regret trying to use the phone for thier ultimate happiness and to make them seem as if they are a better person...the only thing expensive is the phone plan which is the voice, txt, and data, not the device it'self.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you are

there is no reason why my phone should just spontaneously crack. i am after all, paying over 2,000 dollars to have it

8. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

It's plastic..what do you expect..if it isnt falling apart and u have 1 milimeters cracks, then why sweat it....difference if your buttons were broken and became unfunctional the way it's suppose to be...i dont even know why apple replaces them and i am happy they give you refurbs.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

If I purchased a $5 phone and the case was cracked or it overheated where I couldn't use it I would say there was a problem.

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You don't know why apple replaces a phone with defects?

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont expect my phone to crack on its own without me dropping it or anything when i am paying alot to own it

is that hard to understand?

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, I was more talking about the really small things like pixels being off by 1 and bezel alignment. :) Cracks, it would depend on the size. Heat would be an issue for me.

13. svndmvn Guest

where can I get one with 300$ with no contract attached?
    I payed mine 600€=865$ and it's not even the 32gb version.
    Plastic or not, if it's cracking on its own in its first week of usage not being dropped or smashed and Apple admits it's not supposed to, its up to the person paying and owning the device if he can or not sweat it, IMO.
    Light leaks/dead-stuck pixels are even worse..

14. Ericatomars macrumors regular

my phone has a small crack on the upper left corner. and some scuffs on the back. I came to the realization that its a phone (a beautiful phone) but as long as it does the basics Im happy. I mean its gonna get dropped, its gonna be used.. I mean Im not throwing it but stuff happens. If i go to a concert I change up phones and its all good.

My friend has a 3gs and if he drops it he's at the apple store the next day to swap it out and why and how they continue to swap his phone... i have no idea. I mean he has a incase slider on it and never cracked it... just alittle ocd!

15. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

why do people care about what bothers other people imo if it dosnt concern you why should you care

16. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly..i don't see why..i guess if u drop your phone and it become extremely dent, different story, but not for milimeter cracks...overheating, if it got so hot, you can talk on the phone or even tap on screen, thats also a difference story, but it's mainly the cracks i am referring to.

17. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Obsessive consumers drive up the quality of the next generation of products. A few thousand devices returned for a cracked case may well translate to a better case on the next model.

I cheer the obsessives!!

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

My 32GB 3GS cost about $600 here, with a 26-month contract. My monthly bills for the past year (iPhone 3G) have averaged about $130/month. So I'd love to know how you got a $200 phone because mine cost 3x that much; factoring in the substantially-more-expensive-than-average monthly service, I'm looking at $3,980 over the lifetime of the phone! Anyway, $600 for a month-old phone that already has three cracks in the casing after only a month of babying it. Yeah, I have a problem with that. ;)

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, we should be cheering TheSpaz, not mocking him, I say (not that I mock him). :)

20. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

Here in the US, its 200 USD for the 16GB iPhone 3G S/New contract/Upgrade eligible ..and obviously apple has yet to do anything about it if it still occurs lmao...they know these obsessive people will go after any model no matter what is looks like or how bad it is...If it saids iPhone and is made by apple, they will sell over 1 million units in the first week garunteed. This is my first iPhone and i realize its just another phone that has more options and features then others...it's not a kid, it's not your life so get over it with these small cracks...buy a 1200 computer and if it has 1 milimeter cracks, would you take it back and dont lie because your on this topic and replying..

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why do you care so much?:rolleyes:

no other product i have developes cracks by itself

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yes if my MBP's case cracked......I would take it back
    If my truck had a crack in it.....I would take it back

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree with the sentiment, but I do tend to obsess more than I should over my iphone. I don't know why - there's just something about it. I was never that way with any other phone or most other things I own, but I hate defects on my apple products. I'm just weird I guess. :p

Also, I don't think cracks are a "small thing." Some of the "defects" are really meaningless, but a phone should not spontaneously crack.

24. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, one of the cracks is nearly a quarter of an inch long. Since the iPhone is only 2.4 inches wide, that means the crack extends over nearly 10% of the iPhone's width. If I had a computer or a car that had a crack that ran across 10% of its width, you better believe I'd have it replaced. Wouldn't you? :confused:

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

part that bugs me

is when people have to make a thread about a simple problem like a wifi issue and ask should I take it back? if it bugs you then either call apple or make a appt at the genus bar and discuss it there. if apple agree with you then they fix or replace if not you hopefully know why. if you feel you got the shaft after maybe ask what other think if you got a bum deal but in the end it's between you and apple. I don't want to decide if a person problem is warranty or not because in the end it's not up to me and everybody is different what one person says is no big deal another it's a major deal if it bugs you then discuss it with apple and see if they can resolve it.