Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
With the prices of the other flagship devices going up I think the new iPhones are competitively priced. Years ago the iPhone was the most expensive device, but not anymore. You get what you pay for, though. Which is one of my reasons for sticking with Apple products.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
If a 64gig or at least 32 was 650 it wouldn't be so bad. When you can buy a droid turbo for 500 and it's such a great device for that price and has many better specs especially display.

The iPhone is especially over priced and even at the "subsidized" price of 300 I feel it's more than it's worth.

Truth is phone access in general is expensive at 85-100 for a single line. Per month!

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
There are several android phones with similar or better specs that are much cheaper. Also in countries other than the US the iPhone prices increased, mostly due to currency conversions, I'm not sure if other phones also increased or not.

https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/10/iphone-6s-and-plus-priced-higher-usd/

Yes but that could be said about any of the Major companies flagship android's the Oneplus 2 is designed to go head to head with the S6 and M9 at a substantially cheaper price, same with the new nexus devices. Almost all major companies phones are overpriced because they CAN be the companies know that most consumers will be on a payment plan or contract, and gladly will take the $700 while the consumer pays $200 and barely bats an eye. I was actually thinking the other day that the last phone actually worth paying the full price for was the original iPhone, while around the price of unsubidized phones back then it offered significant improvement over them.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Flagship Samsung smartphones debut ony slightly cheaper, but then a month or two later the price drops and they become significantly cheaper. Apple charge the same price all year and let's face it, the tech in a top of the line Samsung or Sony phones is more expensive part for part. Then Google come along and release the Nexus 6 and 6P for much less, despite being premium phones. Let's face it, all Apple devices are expensive and just because we prefer iOS or OS X, that doesn't necessarily make them good value for money.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Flagship Samsung smartphones debut ony slightly cheaper, but then a month or two later the price drops and they become significantly cheaper. Apple charge the same price all year and let's face it, the tech in a top of the line Samsung or Sony phones is more expensive part for part. Then Google come along and release the Nexus 6 and 6P for much less, despite being premium phones. Let's face it, all Apple devices are expensive and just because we prefer iOS or OS X, that doesn't necessarily make them good value for money.

Exactly. However the added cost for me is worth it when I can go into an Apple Store and have my phone repaired/replaced same day.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Exactly. However the added cost for me is worth it when I can go into an Apple Store and have my phone repaired/replaced same day.

This. A product is considered "overpriced" not when it's selling price is 3X the production cost, but when consumers no longer find that the extra value is worth the product and stop buying it. Judging by Apples sales a vast number of consumers still find apples products have value and are not overpriced. Picking up on the point of android, with much more immediate competition Android phones have to have slashed prices, Samsung cares if you skip on the S6 because the M9 was $100 off but Apple really doesn't sweat it too much when you buy a 6 instead of a 6S.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
The 16G is not over price, considering the R&D, advertising, and all the overhead cost.

But moving to one size bigger memory is a $100 more, only cost apple a couple bucks, that is a rip off!

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I dunno I've had people think that i was rich because i have an iPhone and because people think they are overpriced. It makes no sense because they are not and i am not rich lol!

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It's funny people forget when Nokia was king not too long ago.

Nokia sold their high end phones in the $600-800 range. Many people enthusiast didn't blink buying an N series for for that amount. Those nearing 40 or older remember the 8000 series. Those slider phones. They were close to $1000. This was way back later 1990s.

So Apple phones are not as expensive as what people think. Consider you get vertical integration of HARDWARE and SOFTWARE. Plus probably 90 plus percent of the USA population are within 60 minutes driving distance of an apple retail store these days (yes there are rural areas. But most of the USA population is centered around cities these days). So you have physical access to a retail store.

Samsung in particular has raised their prices a lot. I remember and I am 100% positive the msrp on the Galaxy S3 was $550 at officials at Corp store. The S4 they raised it to $629. S5 they raised it to match apple at $649.

Samsung doesn't offer the same vertical integration as Apple. They surely don't support the software like Apple.

Reactions: WarcraftWidow

j2ee

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
Isn't it the same cost as any other flagship phone (USD)?

New android flagship only little bit cheaper for similar memory and capacity. But around one year old flagship is another story, i always buy around one year old flagship android(a new phone just the model is old) with around 30 to 50 percentage of original price, while iphone 6 just has around 10 percent discount.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Thats how much a Note 5 or a Galaxy S6 is though.

...with more storage space, better screens, more RAM and arguably better cameras etc. Plus they come down in price the following 12 months. I'm not saying that they're better, merely that the parts cost more and that they could be considered better value for money.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Maybe because the base model comes with 16GB of storage (more like a little over 14GB)

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
The 16G is not over price, considering the R&D, advertising, and all the overhead cost.

But moving to one size bigger memory is a $100 more, only cost apple a couple bucks, that is a rip off!
So... how much do you think would be worth going from 16GB to 64GB? Quadruple the space for $100 is a bargain. They can buy for a few dollars because they're buying ten-millions at a time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.