why do people wait for leopard to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bkvideography, Jul 15, 2007.

1. bkvideography macrumors member

I don't get it. Do they not want to pay for the software upgrade? Do they think Blue-ray burners will show up in the computers? What is, if there is one - the main reason people don't want to buy a computer till Leopard comes out?

2. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Because if you get Leopard for free you save 129 dollars, that's why. If you buy a computer now, you get Tiger, but if you wait few months, you get Leopard. It's really very simple mathematics.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

to save 129 bucks
    to possible save 79 bucks if a new iLife is coming out
    to get the best hardware for there buck.

Doesn't seem like a big deal

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I never understood it either. If you need/want a new Mac then buy one. It's a measly $129 at most and a mere $79 for iLife. Not a big deal and not alot of $$.

I just don't get the reasoning to wait, unless it right around the corner. To me I would rather have my new Mac then wait 3 months just to save a few $$'s on software.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For both that comes to $208. Now say you are a college student making $350 a week with utilities rent and groceries to pay. Then you have been saving up for a new base Macbook for $999. Waiting three months for software seems reasonable as that $208 is over 20% of what the computer costs. That $208 is also a lot of money to that student.

Now if you are in the market for an Octo-core Mac Pro with the Quadro 4500, 16GB RAM, Blu-Ray Burner, HD DVD Burner, Dual 30" LCD's and Quad 1TB Hard Drives then spending $208 on Leopard and iLife three months later seems reasonable.

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

$208 is a lot of money to some people. Some people might not be able to spend $2000 now and an extra $200 in a few months to have the latest, when they can just spend $2000 in a few months time, possibly get a hardware update, and definitely get the latest software.
    If I was buying now I'd wait. I bought my MB in April, just after the October announcement. That's coming from someone who already had a mac, so could afford to wait a bit (even though I was sharing it with my wife), but not forever.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

And if you are waiting for the next best thing, let's say upgraded Mac Pro's and they are probably introduced with Leopard...

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yes, but if you're a college student in the US, iLife is $59, Leopard should be $69, and the MacBook would be $999. Not only would you be saving $100 with the MacBook with an edu discount, but you'd (currently) get a free iPod and the computer would come with iLife (which arguably is useless to a lot of people) and Tiger, and upgrading to Leopard would be $69, not the same as $208.

10. BlueT macrumors member

janey, you're really missing the point. Why pay Apple money needlessly, when if you wait a couple months, you get everything for free?

Or more to the point, why pay a premium now, when you can eventually get it at a discount later? Especially if you have a limited budget and more than one hobby (there is life outside of Apple).

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

My post had NOTHING to do about whether or not people should wait for Leopard. It had everything to do with fixing some mistakes made by a previous poster.

That being said, I get Leopard seeds and eventually will get Leopard through ADC. So the whole thing is moot to me. What someone else wants to do with their computer and an OS upgrade is not for me to care about.

In regards to paying Apple needlessly...keep in mind that some people don't have a couple months to wait for whatever reason, and if you're a student, the student iPod discount doesn't last a couple months, and waiting till October isn't necessarily feasible (what if you need it for college?).

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Here's a question: I have an iMac and my family owns a macbook (both with Tiger). I'm looking for a macbook pro now. I plan on buying leopard anyways when it comes out for the mb and the iMac. So in that sense, it wouldn't be smart to "wait" for Leopard to buy the mbp, right? (unless of course I wanted ilife also, assuming it'll be released).

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

a lot of people wait months and months to buy a computer so they can save, what, $130 on an operating system? i'd rather buy the computer now. having a computer and using for the months in between it is certainly worth the $130 in so-called savings. it isn't like a tiger-based mac with ilife 06 is outdated. i don't need my time machine now, or my core animation or spaces. tiger suits me fine, and a savings in $130 isn't worth it to wait nearly a year for a new computer.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There will always be something to wait for so people should just buy what they need when they need it. I mean, near the end of '06 people waited to see what was announced at MacWorld SF 2007, then there was speculation about what would happen at NAB, then WWDC, then waiting to see if Mac Pros dropped in price after the intel CPU price cuts, then wait for Leopard, oh but now MWSF 2008 is coming...

Lethal

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

In your case, the family pack works out to be better, so yes, buy the mbp now.

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks. I'm assuming the family pack has 3 liscences? How much will that cost (Canada)?

I really don't mind paying Apple for this software ugprade. If it's 129$ for the single liscence version that's very, very reasonable. THey have one version, all inclusive, and it seems to be like an incredible OS update.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No, you're missing the point. janey was trying to show how for students, the current free iPod and printer (together $300) are worth more than the $120 (or whatever) for Leopard and iLife (some students might not even want a new iLife, so that saves them another $50).

A college student ought to buy now and get a free iPod and printer (which is very much a needed thing for college).

I think it's $200(US) for 5 licenses. In Canada that'll be $250 (just looked it up).

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

Bingo.

Well, the printer thing isn't edu only afaik.

So, really, depending on your needs, and that most students probably need a laptop before October if they're getting one for school, waiting for Leopard is not always the best thing to do.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, the printer is for everyone, but I don't think it's around during the Fall right? Doesn't it start up again during the Spring or something?

Bottom line, if you're a college student (or soon to be) just buy now.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

I remember getting the same $100 off any printer thing back in like 2002, somewhere in 2003, 2004...now... I pretty much remember Apple doing that all the time. Same with the $69 .mac.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...mco=3C893A36&node=home/specialdeals/big_deals

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

If you were to wait until Leopard is released to purchase a new Mac, you might have to deal with a compatibility issue that can accompany a major OS update. At least if you purchase a Mac now with Tiger, you'll know what you're getting into. Just a reason not to wait...

This time around, I'll likely wait a few months before I upgrade my machine to Leopard.

23. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

so we save $130, and so we get iLife '07 free also,

24. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

ok, that's a bit more expensive than I thought, lol. thanks anyway (I'm still gonna buy it though) :)

25. BlueT macrumors member

There was a factor thrown into the argument that I didn't really think about, because I'm not a student. (I just noticed this.)

Yes, if you're a student, obviously buying now with the free iPod is worth it. But the original post wasn't about students; it was simply asking why people are so concerned about paying $129 for Leopard. And that's where my comment was being made.