Why do people want photoshop elements so badly for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stirolak123, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Stirolak123, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

http://ipadarena.com/adobe-photoshop-for-ipad-coming-soon/

If adobe brings it out it would probably be crappily non-intuative and overpriced like the rest of their Mac and Windows crap. We already have a $3 app no one talks about called art studio that takes the best aspects of photoshop, makes them more intuative and easier to select stuff, adds layers and you can combine layers into one image layer and keep adding new ones, has various selections like magic wand, copy and pasting, etc. All in under 5 mb I believe and also unlike the crappy Adobe photoshop you can use a stylus and actually draw and paint and not just move photos around (yes I know nerds use wasco crap). Here ya go, tell me adobe could do better I dare ya:

http://www.born2draw.com/blog/archive/2011/01/03/gradient-fills-artstudio-ipad

http://justiphoneart.com/iphone-art-apps/artstudio-tutorial-by-corliss-blakely

Personally I still dont get why people feel bad about pirating any adobe or microsoft stuff when they rob people literally when you have ipad apps like this for a few bucks. Just like I dont get why traditionsl handheld gaming systems are still around and their prices still are as ridiculously high as ever when the app store exists and now the fling controller.

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There's a lot more to Photoshop than layers and magic wand.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Stirolak, I'm sure you're a great guy but your posts always make my brain hurt :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So its ok to steal stuff that's expensive. Its high priced due to the complexity and the work put into it. MS and Adobe are not robbing people, you don't want to pay those prices then don't buy their products. A high price tag does not give anyone the right to steal

5. Stirolak123, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011

Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I woudnt even use their crap or take the time to steal it. Waay too much effort. The only time I would use their crap is if I had to take a photoshop class for credits or something and didnt have an ipad with art studio. Than I would delete it right after the course would be done. But really what Journalists, web designers, bloggers, tech writers, gaming magazines use photoshop more than layers? All ign for example does despite having photoshopnas a requirement in their applications is cut out megaman and out him on some stupid background or something. Heck what artists useit for more than what you can do with art studio esp since u can actuallyuae a stylus with art studio?

Its high priced due to complexity? Bro Microsoft barely ads anything to their new oeprating system yet charges people full price forupgrades while apple, who actually improves theirs, allows upgrades for free and you say its high complexity? How how bout the fact photoshop elements has bo complexity as that is what I was comparing art studio to not the pro version?

6. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Don't wan't to buy? Why not get GIMP, it's free and you can't beat that price. (OK, so it's not available for the iPad.)

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

People think the iPad is a computer which they can do productive work on. That's why they want PS Elements for it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then why all the anger and hostility of what Adobe or MS does?

Don't like it, then don't buy it and use something else. Sheesh. I mean life is too short to really get worked up over the fact that PS may or may not be coming to the iPad.

Personally, I could care less and regardless if adobe prices it at .99 or 999, I'll not be buying it for the iPad.

Given what it does, on the computer, there's really no other app that comes close to its power, flexibility and ability but that's my opinion.

9. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I would really like to see these works of art you (or anybody) are creating using only the Art Studio app.

10. Gryzor macrumors 6502

So, you are dismissing an app already that doesn't even exist, just because you think they will mess it up? FFS... Then, you have the audacity to admit that you find illegal piracy to be perfectly legal. If you find Microsoft stuff too expensive, fine, there are plenty of free alternatives. Linux with Open Office and Gimp give me 99.9% of my computing needs completely free, so personally I don't get why people like you have to resort to piracy. You only do so because you can, and you think it's clever. Ever wonder WHY their prices are high? :rolleyes: It's people like you breaking the law.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm not getting involved in this argument ;)

But I would like to again say that for a VERY high end photo package which COULD easily run on the iPad, Apple needs to tell people that it's good to use a Stylus for some things.

Too many people are brainwashed into thinking Stylus = Fail, when it means nothing of the sort. Some things benefit greatly from a more accurate pointing device than the tip of your finger.

12. nomik2 macrumors regular

These software packages take a lot of effort to create and are very powerful tools. Just because you don't see the amount of power these software packages have doesn't mean they are crap.

IMHO just Excel itself is worth the price of MS Office...oh wait, its probably just criss crossing lines on a sheet for you. I bet you can do that in Paint... /s

13. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You have no problem with Apple charging high prices and making huge profits but think it's ok to steal from Microsoft because of their prices? That seems odd to me.

14. nomik2 macrumors regular

Bro Apple barely ads anything to their new ipods yet charges people full price...

15. Stirolak123, Feb 18, 2011

They add a whole lot more content to their macs and osx heck evem ios reisions than microsoft Puts in its versions of windows (compare me to xp or 7 to vista) thats for sure.

Btw, to the person who accuses me of stealing. I currently dont have any credit, 12k in debt, live with my mom, graduated with a ba in journalism tso semesters ago and recently got a job in online writing/blogging that I still havent been paid for, and basicslly am broke to even pay for gas sometimes where my mom constantly has to borrow or give me money. I still havent began paying off my student loans. How do u expect me to oay premiums for crap like adobe or microsoft without pirating? And i dont have to now that I found an affordable solution on the pad that does everything I need from image editing. What else would zi need as an online writer or reviewer other than putting screenshots say of apps or games tigether or adding backgrounds through layers etc.? Art studio does all this so why should I need photoshop?

I used to be a pirate of software and games because they just were never affordable for me, but zi still havent jailbroke my ipad or iphone or pirated a single app and Ive had my pad for about a year now and constantly buy apps. See thats what these copanies need to get, if they price their software and non-intuiative (u have to memorize stupid keystrokes just to use photoshop) software, they will generate more income because of the number of sales theyd get. Its called the race to the bottom, something adobe never gets.

16. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

EA puts a lot of effort into their app store games. For example nba jam is the same as the wii version, so why do they price it at only $5 and constantly have $.99 sales? Or how bout need for speed hot pursuit? They even updated it while it was on sale. Have u ever stduied economics or know what the race for the bottom is? Maybe if adobe was less greedy like ea theyd get more sales and less piracy.

17. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Everyone that builts a gaming pc pretty much pirates windows. All those super hardcore and competitiv gamers o spent the last ammount of their incomes on computer hardware and pc game addictions like you see posting on tomshardware, ign and overclockers forums download and even admit windows when they build these 1k+ gaming laptops and pcs.

18. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

You can buy Windows 7 Home Premium OEM edition for $100.

19. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

You think its worth paying one fifth or sixth of your entire gaming pc costs on a broken os? Heck I downloaded windows 7 64 bit and put it on my imac via bootcamp for free and works like a charm. I barely use it though for onky games really and some word processing so why would it be worth for me paying for it when ai hwve a seperate windows laptop at home and only mostly use the imacs osx?

20. AppleScruff1, Feb 18, 2011

AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If I can't afford something, I do without until I can. I don't steal. And I don't know what major overclocking forum you frequent, but advocating software piracy is forbidden on the ones I am a member of. You have no problem paying Apple's high prices yet you encourage stealing Windows. So Windows 7 is a broken OS, yet it works like a charm. Can you say hypocrite?

21. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wish I could understand what the OP was saying. If you don't like it, don't buy it, and don't make excuses for pirating. This thread seems like a plug for Art Studio.

On the topic of photoshop on the ipad/iOS, I think a heavier version could work if done right. It would not be a substitute for the computer version of course, but I still think it could be a good idea. The lack of a file system on iOS would make editing a bit harder.

22. Stirolak123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hiw would it be any benefit over art studio? What would it bring thst u cant do with art studio? Please explain. In fact, please tell me outside of more options and effects what u can do with elements that u cant with art studio? I want some examples from people who used both photoshop and art studio.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Stirolak123 seems to be an angry young person... but hits on a point about pricing of apps. He mentioned it about the cost of some EA games on various platforms... I have wondered about the pricing of apps on the iPhone vs the iPad vs OSX machines.

What they may have missed with the likes of MS and Adobe is the pressure to show profits for their shareholders. But Apple maybe on to something at least for their software. Aperture is $199 for the retail box; yet $79 through the Mac App store.

But in the end we may have been taken by a trollish sort - that may just want to give us something to think and talk about - from his profile on the MR:

I find it surprising that he mentions his major is journalism; but feels it is OK to pirate software. He should be at that the forefront IMO about protecting intellectual property rights. At least in the photographic field, photojournalists are loosing their rights to the work they produce left and right to their employers.

I agree with you there... I really like Adobe's idea of using the iPad as augment to their apps...

24. Stirolak123, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

I use art Art Studio just like photoshop for tasks people pay for lots of money to do because they think only photoshop can do them. Take a look at this image:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/59154387@N06/5457912850

It is composed of me combining two game screenshots and doing it all via art studio no photoshop. The original photos I rotated, combined, and cropped:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59154387@N06/5457306253

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59154387@N06/5457313593

Note, I even took out the black bar down the middle.

All I'm saying is that if you look hard enough u can do it all on the pad. You can do photoshop, photo uploads, editing, blogging, etc. Most people just never learnt how to use the ipad to its full potential or are too lazy to learn. They just look for recognizable names like adobe and assume because theyve done squat shet on the platform the types of products dont exist. Or theynconstantly say because adobe didnt do it its impossible or not practical, etc. Wen I just demonstrated its use and how practical it can really be all from the ipad.

25. Stirolak123, Feb 18, 2011

And to the previous poster, I dont get hung up on photo ip theft at all. Blogs and sites constantly borrow and use each others image assets. Heck, even app store games do. Constantly app store games take music or art assets from console or fladh games for instance.

Now if you took my article and posted it on ur website or sold my iPad tools guide to someone it would piss me off but Im not stealing photoshop or windows and selling it. I basivslly had to use it for a class or a couple tasks so there is no way it would be worth or justifiable for me to spend over $100 for auch small use out of it to just basically not have to go to the campus every day but do things I had to do like assignments from home. And now, that I got art studio I dont have any excuse to even use photoshop again as long as I can carry my iPad anywhere I work.