Why do so many people hate the notch at the top of the iPhone Pro?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajiuo, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I think it’s kind of cool. It shows that we can have a display that’s not just a square or a square with rounded corners. The display molds around something, witch I think is kind of cool. I don’t really care for the photos with the white bezel though.

2. LoveToMacRumors, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

LoveToMacRumors macrumors 65816

LoveToMacRumors

One thing is sure, for the white bezel, someone sees it, and he knows it's an iPhone 8. Less obvious with black, someone don't pay attention, and he could believe it's just the another phone.

3. Sunny1990, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

Sunny1990 macrumors 65816

Sunny1990

I think Apple is likely going with all black display with all colors. OLED display with black front perfect combination. There are mockups and dummy models with white front but I highly doubt Apple will make original version like that.

Here is a picture which shows how White front may look like with display on
    Edit :- That Cutout looks hideous with white front.
    6845F8D1-3F1F-4F40-A62B-6E9870685E7F.jpeg
    image source :- "BGR"

4. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502

The notch is absolutely amazing to intelligent people, engineers, and designers. Why? Because they know that Apple did this specifically following their goal to make as much of the face of the device as useful as possible. They know that Apple is going to use the OLED black level to seamlessly blend the bezel and the display so as to hide the notch. They know that Apple is going to use the left and right spaces for new elements and/or status bar elements to push the main display area as large as possible.

It's amazing, and the display being cut like that is cool. What's not cool are the concept artists thinking that:

The device will show the notch by placing lit display around it.

5. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

It probably adds a lot of rigidity and had Apple not been able to have that notch the Phone would be awkwardly taller. And it probably has to do a lot with Face ID and detection since it is precisely centered Snapchat filters will likely be more fun and accurate having Dual cameras for greater accuracy than a single front facing camera offset to one side.

6. ajiuo thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually hope that they don’t hide it with a black bar. If that is the intention, they might as well have just put indicators under the glass up there. I want To see the full display and how it molds around the notch.

7. Laryl macrumors member

Laryl

For me I think it's annoying because it's not a clean edgy. It's "busy" .. that being said I don't "hate it" but I don't like it. I can learn to ignore it so it's not an issue really. I think some people just are more comfy with geometric clean shapes vs things than swing around up and down. It's distracting, like a crooked picture on the wall.. a little OCD, needs setting straight ;)

8. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

9. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502

Before they hide it.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2017 ---
    Indicators aren't dynamic.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2017 ---
    Adds rigidity? What are you talking about..? Awkwardly taller?? Both make no sense. It adds zero rigidity and the device would remain the same height without it...the display would just be smaller...

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's asymmetrical which typically is not a desirable design trait. It's also uncharacteristic of Apple

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Because it's different and some people will hate it until it comes time to preorder, then WHAM!

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Black bezel and it is no problem.

Either way it is not an issue to me.

13. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't get it either, if this is the new iPhone then I think it's the most gorgeous iPhone ever made.

14. AfroAbel macrumors regular

AfroAbel

because of people who confuse ****** dummy models with the actual phone Apple is going to bring out in a month.

15. ForumChick macrumors member

ForumChick

Really, the most gorgeous? Doesn't that notch disturb you at least a LITTLE bit from an aesthetic viewpoint?

16. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

I don't think it does if that individual views the iPhone the way he see's it. Not everyone is disturbed by the notch. Its different from what we are used to seeing after all these years, but why should someone have the same view as someone else? I think some don't understand he intent behind the notch, which that alone creates confusion for some. To each their own.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Nope.

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, not at all, I think this design IS the best ever, you'll like it later on too if you see it in real life.

19. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor

20. michael9891 macrumors 6502

Not in the slightest. The one pictured above in white looks great, I'd buy it.

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not a fan of white and never have been. In Black it’s perfect. It’s a smart use of dead space imho

22. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

Nothing, yet, obviously. It is, however, a potential name that has been thrown around by more than a few folks.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I have no issue with it since I am probably going to get a black front iPhone regardless, and I trust that Apple will make it seamless and hidden using the black OLED capabilities. I think what's getting everyone worked up in to a tizzy is seeing it with a white front.. Who knows what Apples plans are but if I were to bet on it, I would say black front only for the iPhone 8.

24. techspin macrumors 6502a

The S8 looks cleaner with a nice uninterrupted display at the top. I'll still buy :)