Why do Universities allow anyone to walk around the school?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 2, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

Why do Universities allow anyone to walk around the school?

It seems like Universities leave there doors open so anybody may walk around the school use there services, such as pools, gyms and even doctor offices.

It just seems weird to have a whole bunch of senior people walking around the school hanging out.

Is your University like that ?

2. treestar macrumors 6502

Universities sell gym memberships to people in their community.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Um, yes, exactly.

Ever hear of the idea that universities were/are set up to facilitate the free exchange of ideas and learning? To allow for a sort of "cross-fertilisation" of thought, innovation, ideas, learning......that they are supposed to be places, where, to quote the late, great Jacob Bronowski, a "certain ragamuffin irreverence", a questioning, an interrogation of facts and beliefs, an opening of minds to learning, ideas, questions, that all of this is brought to bear on the 'groves of academe'?

This, therefore, means that even the very physical expression of a university should be open, rather than a closed, gated community, which would come to resemble a fortress, or an army camp, or some suchlike.....

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I feel your pain. Having those wrinkly old farts walking around (so slow) and even sitting near you - disgusting. :p

I mean, what the hell do they know. You certainly couldn't learn anything from those geezers.:rolleyes:

6. treestar macrumors 6502

The OP is just terrible. Let's let it go.

----------

Especially terrible: those people of other genders, and ethnicities, and religions. It's not just the people aged differently!

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't care if I see older people "hanging out" at a university.

My only concern is that they're admitting people like you into a university.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. treestar macrumors 6502

Bravo.

10. Scepticalscribe, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

OP, I have been a university teacher for over twenty years (history and politics). Further to my post above, may I add that meeting and being privileged to teach the older, mature students are among the best experiences of my life as a teacher?

It was a challenging, and immensely enjoyable experience to be in a position to be of assistance to them. "Older" people give far more to a university environment than it is possible to imagine. Moreover, they are invariably highly motivated, - as, for a variety of reasons, family, financial, lack of opportunity, or grades, these possibilities did not exist for them when they were 18-19 years of age - unlike a lot of the privileged youngsters with jaded palates whom I have also taught.

I really do not like the idea that universities should only be available to those who can avail of that possibility at the age of 18 or 19; it is such a narrow world view, and exceedingly limiting, as well.

Maybe, I'm a bit biased on this matter. My mom went back to college as a mature student when I was a teenager (her father had not believed in higher education for women) as she had always wanted to go and it transformed her life for the better, building up her confidence and enabling her to apply for better jobs later on.

Cheers

11. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Wally, while you may indubitably enjoy the experience, you do realise that you have been shafted, don't you?
    KGB:rolleyes:

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hopefully he'll take a class where he'll learn that even he, Waloshin, will get old one day, and yet will want to be accepted by others just as he was when he was 20.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wait, what are you doing walking around an institution of higher learning?

14. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

I think it's people like the author of this post who really shouldn't be allowed around universities.

I tend to like the (dying) idea of an university as a place where people of any age, race and condition can walk around and share ideas and thoughts, over the idea of an university as a place where privileged kids go spend their early 20s away from mom&dad, get drunk, **** like rabbits and get a Master's Degree.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You really think so?? :confused:

16. treestar macrumors 6502

Money money money.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Better question: why wouldn't they?

It's a University, not a friggin' Masonic lodge - there's no reason to keep the general public away. As far as unauthorized people using facilities like the gym and pools and such, you can't generally get into those areas without a valid ID.

You mean professors? :rolleyes:

I've been on many campuses and they're ALL like that. Students come in all ages, and visitors are always welcome. These are generally public places, even the private institutions.

This is the most closed-minded thread I've ever seen from you. You disappoint me.

18. imahawki macrumors 6502a

bravo!

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Public land maybe?

Alternatively, anybody may also use the English department.

Professors, other faculty members, staff members, older students...clearly we should ban everyone over the age of 25 from a university campus and just trust all the students to show up, sit quietly, and read their textbooks.

My university has a number of events that are open to the general public. My wife and I have particularly enjoyed the astronomy department's open viewing nights. However, I'm 35 now, so maybe I should just stay home and do something mindless like endless hours of TV and beer drinking instead of furthering a hobby and interest I've had for longer than you've been alive.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because your tuition would skyrocket if they had to completely fence off the campus and pay security guards to man entrances and check your credentials to make sure you were a student before setting foot on it.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, he's gotten away with yet another post and split.

At least a nodding [​IMG] would be welcome, perhaps once a day.

Perhaps he is reading this and laughing up his sleeve, if his Mommy remembered to dress him today?

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Perhaps he has. Yet he may well have contributed something good and useful (while posting what has been expressed as an intolerant and intellectually indefensible stance) if, by starting this thread, he has invited us (albeit unwittingly) to discuss the question of access - physically, mentally, (financially) professionally, psychologically and pedagogically to universities.

The whole idea of universities, such places of learning, - the very idea of the community of the mind - is one of the world's great civilising enterprises.

This also means that the very question of who should have access to education, information, learning, the public (or private) space devoted to knowledge acquisition and the keys, in turn, which that unlocks on life's journey - is also a fundamental question any society must answer in seeking to define what it is and what it says it stands for. So, simply by raising it, in an admittedly distasteful and crude manner, it could well be that waloshin has done us all a considerable service.

Cheers

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, to paraphrase, severely, infinite monkeys at infinite keyboards. ;)

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, most probably, when viewed from the rather dismal perspective of the OP's unfortunate if singular mindset. But, theories of alternative universes postulate that any number of infinities can occur, including infinite primates at infinite keyboards......;)

Nevertheless, it's good to see the topic raised and discussed, if only by everybody else who has contributed..........