Why do we have to Quit apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SeVeN, Oct 31, 2007.

1. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

so i have been wondering about this for a while now, why cant we just hit the red button when are done? Is it just the OS is or is there some good reason.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's the OS. Since it's document based, closing a document doesn't quit the application - in general. Applications that have no meaning without the window open do quit (like System Preferences, or Calculator).

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't have to quit the app, but it'll keep using RAM if you don't.

A number of programs can be functional (such as doing things in the background) when there are no windows open, so that's why most apps don't shut down when you hit the red "x". Some properly-designed apps that have no function unless the window is open (such as System Preferences) do quit entirely when you hit the red "x".

5. SeVeN thread starter macrumors 6502a

i guess im just looking for a answer for those who ask me, "why do you have to quit? cant you just close the window? thats so dumb...."

i have always wanted to give a reasonable answer, but never could

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

this is a common thing with noobs because they are so used to windows, its just different, over time you will learn to like it and realise why, and you will discover cmd-q. Devs have power over the 'traffic light' buttons, for instance safari will size to the website with the green 'maximise' button, why waste space on an os thats so good at multitasking and drag and drop from the internet, as you can do things in safari and itunes without a window open (playing music / downloading etc) to. Whereas on the opposite end, iphoto a single window app with no use to be open without an open window has controls more common to windows, red quit and green maximise. i hope this helps.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, the way Windows does it is dumb. It truly is, from a HCI standpoint; it's just that's what most people are used to. I'm not going to repeat what has been said a thousand times on these forums other than to say once you get used to it, you understand the power and the properness of it. What's so hard about Cmd-Q when you're done with an app anyway?

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It's practical. Take Firefox for instance. Opening it takes 4-5 seconds the first time and a couple of secs the next few times. I don't want to quit a program and relaunch it every time I use it. I never shut down my mac and I want all of my apps to be spiffy and quick to launch so having them running saves me time for those apps that I use the most frequently. Windows on the other hand has no hide button and I would have to minimize every single window cluttering the task bar whenever I browse the web or use any other app often enough.

One of my friends actually only has ONE app open at a time and when we are forced to do any form of web development on his laptop, he constantly shuts down ftp-clients, editors, browsers ALL the time. It's SO frustrating to work with him because he wastes more time relaunching frequently used apps that I would make more money than him measured in more efficient use of time at the snap of my fingers.

AARGH!

What is stupid then is that iPhoto actually shuts down with the click on the red button and cmd-w but that's another story. :)

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I like it like that. I can close all Firefox windows, and then when I need to use FF again, just click the dock icon and instantly get a new window.

Contrast that to my Windows Pee Cee at work. I can't close all Firefox windows without closing the app. And that's a big deal, because I use a copy of Portable Firefox stored on a network drive, so it takes sometimes up to 20 seconds to open. So I always have to have a window open and minimized (taking up precious taskbar space) unless I want to wait everytime I go back to Firefox. And since I work at my university's helpdesk, when I have someone on the phone, I can't wait 20 seconds for Firefox to open so I can Google their stupid, cryptic, useless Windows error message and find out what the hell it's trying to say ;)

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

First off I want to thank all who have contributed to this thread about the close button concern with noobs. I have been on Macs for 10 years now and never understood the science behind this until I read this thread.:) One thing I will have to say though about hiding apps is that it doesn't work with the browsers the same way as it does with other apps. For instance, I love the fact that iTunes doesn't quit when I hit the close button because I can play music and not have to minimize like in Windows using up Task Bar space. Now, take the browsers like Safari, when you hit the close button it doesn't actually hide the app, it actually closes my web page. When I go back to use Safari or any browser it surfs back to my home page. Unless I actually use the Hide command I will lose my web page so that part doesn't make sense. The close button on the browsers should hide the app and it doesn't.

11. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Command + H