Why do Window users hate macs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barcaly, Aug 19, 2009.

1. barcaly macrumors newbie

I am a moderator at a forum (called MyP2P Forum) and everyone there just simply hate macs, They keep on saying that there is a lot of stuff one can't do on a mac and also that a mac can't be customized. I myself own a macbook pro, and find it the best purchase I ever made.

Is it because people can't afford a mac, and they hate it? Isn't that just stupid then?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Some people are just ignorant. This is why a sizable part of the US can't find the US on a map.

3. Queso macrumors G4

It's just group think. They don't want to be seen as acting outside the herd, so they go with the majority view. It happens in most groups, whatever the topic they choose to rally around.

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Its because this guy is their hero...

Attached Files:

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

He's my hero too! :p

6. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Because Macs are the "great unknown", and people too often tend to fear things of which they are ignorant.

Bene Gesserit Litany against Fear

Quote them that. If nothing else, you will enjoy the confused look on their face... for a few seconds...

7. barcaly thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, I have been fighting with them for weeks now. I need a reinforcement team there :D Anyone interested?

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Not me. Don't try to teach pigs to sing. It's a waste of time, and it annoys the pigs.

9. barcaly thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny you say that. I created a thread a couple of weeks ago and I just deleted it with the reason "Can't educate Pork" :D

10. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I thought he was everybody's?

No?

:D;)

11. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Usually ignorance.

Some may have good reasons, maybe they had a bad experience with a mac, or they just love gaming, and macs aren't the best choice for that (especially when you can build a high-end gaming PC for less than a macbook pro with lower specs.

Me personally, I dislike windows. I've had bad experiences trying to fix the things, and running into problems where it contradicts itself, or can't do something because nothing is stopping it. If I stayed on windows, I'd probably have an aneurism by now lol

my iMac has given me trouble here and there, but it seems to generally run better, and be easier to fix, not counting hardware components.

12. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Ah, the burdens we bear....:D

There's always a big difference in users; those who want to learn, and those whose minds have been made up. Those who say, "I *know*" have basically said, "shut up, I cannot be taught any more."

Hurling yourself into a juggernaut of ignorance is painful. I wish you the best of luck, though....:D

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

A lot of them probably hate Mac users more than the Mac hardware itself.

Mac fans can often give the impression they are a bunch of smug, arrogant toss-pots. ;)

14. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

That's MR. Smug Arrogant Toss Pot, if you please....:rolleyes:

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are fan boys on both sides of the fence that are equally obnoxious and uninformed

Both Macs (OS X) and PCs (Windows) are tools
    Neither are the best tool for every job
    Both have their strengths and weaknesses

I see no reason to hate either side, but rather choose to use both when appropriate

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Agree. I have both on my work desk right now. Each brand with its own purpose. Though the MACs I do prefer.

17. djellison macrumors 68020

It's because of the attitudes of people in threads like this. It's the mac-zealots that are to blame. This presumption that one must be better than the others.

They both work. They're both OK. Neither is a winner.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most of the people in the IT industry have had to deal with os 7,8,9 and it put them off of macs pretty quick. I know I had to deal with them quite a bit at the high school I worked for and when I worked for sbc internet, pain in the ass.

OS X was the best thing apple ever did, I was a mac hater for my first year in college and then I got ahold of os x and was like "this kicks ass". Mac lover ever since. If they came out with a midranged desktop that wasn't 2500 dollars I would probably jump on board again, the macbook pro/imac doesn't have the power I need and I can build close to a mac pro equivalent for 600 dollars now.

19. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

So, Windows users hate macs because of the people that use them?

Gimme a break..:rolleyes:

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's quite true in some instances.

In my experience it's up there about 75% of the time. The rest is the cost of the hardware and lack of customization.

Some people just don't want to become one of us.

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

When will the thread "Why do Mac users hate Windows?" arise? It would have the exact same point with the same arguments.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have never understood why either side feels the need to evangelize the "others". I have owned Macs since 1987 by choice, but I have never sought to convert anyone to the "Mac side". I am perfectly content to allow any friends or relatives to make the same choices for them that I did. If they have questions or want information, I will happily supply it (usually), but I don't see the sense in trying to change their minds. Invariably when you do that, the first time they encounter an issue, a lack in software or functionality, a difference in interface, they will point the finger at you. I don't want or need that.

The better question in my mind is "why do Mac users (or Windows users) feel the need to change someone else's mind?" I am happy to leave them alone and hope they will in turn leave me the hell alone too. If they don't, and they try to attack the Mac or praise Windows, I treat them like any other fanatic group and simply say "thanks, but no thanks" and walk away without a confrontation. Apple doesn't need me to evangelize for them, nor do they need me to defend them. It isn't my job.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. krayziekray macrumors 6502

Answer to this thread is simple ..... because Mac users are so damn awesome ;)

Seriously though .... totally agree.
    I only give my opionion when asked. Mainly due to the reason highlighted in your post above :D

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

24. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I'm a window user, I have lots of them put in my house, and they're transparent and glassy. I love Macs, though. What's wrong with me?

25. iOrlando macrumors 68000

a ton of reasons:
    My friends who dislike macs have shown:

1)Some people just spent a ton of money on a new PC laptop and cant accept that they made a bad decision so they reinforce their purchase and complain how any alternative is stupid.
    2)People hate things that everyone seems to love. If you know everyone is liking something like a band, movie, etc..some people will then proceed to not like that thing because they would feel like they are jumping on the bandwagon.
    3) Some people cant afford macs and they then proceed to complain how they shouldnt be so expensive. They then do something very similar to reason 1 and start to reinforce their love of the PC because that is what they got.
    4) People make excuses for not switching such as...i play too many pc games, i have secret stuff that only works on a pc, etc.

in conclusion...people usually hate macs because they are expensive, alot of people like them and their is a misconception that the transfer from pc to mac is way too hard to go through.