Why do you all hate the Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrat93, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Really, I've had the wireless one since September and I've had no problems with it at all. Why is it that everything I hear in reviews are bad?

EDIT: Actually it did break once after about 6 months of use, but Apple replaced it free, and immediately.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The biggest problem I had was I have large hands so when I'd grip it, I'd always activate the side buttons which really messed me up for a few days until a friend showed me I could disable them.

However, I like being able to move back and forth in web pages via buttons so I just bought another Microsoft Mouse (which I use at work and am comfortable with) and everything is happy now.

3. thinkband macrumors regular

Because as usual for Apple products, it is overpriced. Fine. We can pay the extra money for the Apple simple design, but the fact is that it does not work nearly as well as the competition.

It is one thing to be an apple fan, but you need to know when apple does not make something right... so they will change that something out with something worth the consumer's money. My Logitech mouse is by far the best mouse I have ever used and it costs the same as the Apple mouse. It feels better in the hand, is more responsive, and does not have the infamous 'apple ball.' I am not being an apple hater here, just realistic.

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I'm in the minority here. I like the Mighty Mouse. It's doesn't feel so heavy in my hand and I actually like the rollerball. :p

5. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I hate having to lift my index finger to right click...ugh. I sold mine after a few months of use. I'm using a logitech vx nano and couldn't be happier.

6. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i tried to like it, but it just seemed like apple was trying too hard to be different with it. i ended up with a logitech mouse instead.

7. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

It's annoying to use and has less than eight buttons.

8. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

LOVE my mighty mouse. LOVE IT. LOVE IT. LOVE IT. Miss it when I have to use anything else. LOVE IT when I get to use it again. Did I mention how much I LOVE IT? Don't listen to the haters.

9. Montie Da Champ macrumors member

I loved the mighty mouse, but it isn't ergonomic enough to use for long periods of time. so i got the mx revolution, which i can sit there using for 48277 days in a row.

10. vader26 macrumors regular

That and the inability to easily clean under the scroll wheel are what annoy me most...

11. ASFx macrumors regular

The mighty mouse is extremely slow. It was like torture trying to use it. I got a logitech g9 and now everything is perfect.

12. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

For me it's the lack of tactile response. Those side buttons will launch exposé when you least expect it to just because you adjusted your grip on the mouse. The right button doesn't work all the time and the ball gets dirty. It's a good idea gone wrong.

Plus it's horrible for education. I teach computer classes to kids age 3 to 9, and I have to disable all the buttons because the kids want to click on the ball which brings up god knows what. I kinda wish Apple still made this:

[​IMG]

The kids could actually "see" the button and understand that this one button controls what you point to on the screen.

The mighty mouse made Apple go from super simple to overly complicated.

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I liked the Mighty Mouse for a long awhile, in fact after a year of ownership. Just wait OP, just wait. After a year of use you will join the hate crowd. And unless you are a bubble boy and live in a bubble, that little ball WILL get clogged, which is actually the main reason why I stopped using it.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I haven't had much of a problem with my mighty mouse, but then again I am on a laptop and am much more adept with the track pad.

maybe once I get a new usable desk I will use the mouse again.

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't like it because it is uncomfortable (especially when compared to my VX Revolution), buttons don't work great, scroll ball doesn't work well at all, and the scroll ball sometimes ceases to work completely. I bought my Logitech VX Revolution on sale for the same price as a Mighty Mouse and the VX Revolution is so much better it is funny. I usually like Apple products, but the mouse is just bad.

16. jerry1 macrumors member

I tend to dismiss "hate it" reports on the web and like to draw my own conclusions. The only reason I haven't replaced it is because I don't feel as though I use my computer enough to buy something else. I will take the leap some day though.

I truely dislike the mighty mouse. I don't need 10 buttons or anything but this mouse is just bad. It's not very precise, it's not ergonomic. Accidentally hitting the side buttons with my "man hands" is anoying and it just seems to react to slow to my typical double-clicks. I find myself "quadruple-clicking" far too often. :mad:

17. remmy macrumors 6502a

To be honest I like it but especially the scroll ball was very useful but now its beginning to lock slightly. And I like have three extra buttons for expose.

So back to my original mouse which does everything well except it lacks that scroll ball.

Also you cant left and right click at the same time which I occasionally need.

18. pscoble macrumors 6502

I really like my mighty mouses but when they get clogged that is the most irritating thing ever. I'd say the ability to easily clean it would make it perfect.

19. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im torn between buying one, or getting the Small Logitech White Bluetooth one, i like the design, but it does seem flawed.

Also do they make Bluetooth Rollerballs?

20. DataThief macrumors member

It's not bad, but I really dont like the fact that it does not sit flat on my mouse pad like my Logitech does. The MM rocks slightly front to back and its hell in large hands. Trying to find a replacement that is also BT. Nothing I really like yet.

21. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Has less buttons than the others and the battery dies fast. And when the rollerball gets clogged, it's mighty irritating.

22. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

i've owned my mac for a little less than 2 weeks and i bought a bluetooth MM along with it, so far i love it, the scroll wheel is the best i've ever used, the mouse feels nice and sturdy in my hand, response is great.... the only downside so far is that i find it a little difficult to use the side buttons but i have that set up for spaces which i rarely use. i know i've only used it for a short period of time but i love the way it works and feels so unless it gets messed up i dont see that changing.

23. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

It's not perfect, but I like it. The only problem from time to time is that the roller-ball gets junk in it. It's easy to fix. Push down hard on the ball and forcefully roll it. It fixes the problem every time.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I don't hate it--I actually really love it--now. It took awhile for me to warm up to it and I did try a Razer for a bit. But soon found my way back to the Mighty Mouse. I try to keep the ball clean with that little black cloth that come with my iMac--so far so good. As for performance, I am really happy with it--and I love the feel and shape--very comfortable for me.

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I like the ball which everyone complains that it gums up too easily. I would only ask those people whether they are eating Cheetos 24/7.

Apart from that, there is something about the way it moves that I don't like. I don't like the fact that you have to take a finger off before right clicking. I also don't like the way it clicks on a very 'plunk' way.

In other words, apart from the ball it sucks.