Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Min Wang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2020
Share your stories with phone cases and show your phone case fantascies!

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Because I use my iPhones for around 4 years (just jumped from the 7 to the SE [2020]) and I want them to stay in pristine condition to retain resale value.

Reactions: Min Wang

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Hmm, okay, I'll bite. Because it's a $1000+ device made of metal and glass which could potentially break due to the impact, if it were to fall to the ground. Not that the case is guaranteed to prevent breakage, it should at least minimize the chances of any potential damage. Sorry, no fantasies here, just want to avoid a nightmare.

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
Because I insist that my phone look as good on the day I sell it, as it did on the day I purchased it. Makes me feel better and safer the whole time I own the phone and increases the resale value. Both for the extra accessory, and for the fact the phone inside is still unharmed. XS Max, Otterbox Defender, Alpha Glass. Even my wifes identical phone that gets dropped daily is still pristine underneath all the protection.

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
I’ve never dropped a phone, but the minute I take it out of the case gravity will choose me and I’m paying north of £100 to get it fixed. Also the front and rear are glass, I’ve always been more funny with scratches than drops, I often order the case and protector before the phone, the case is on within 30 seconds.

I have three Spigen cases at present, currently using the Rugged Armor but when I’m out for a period I switch to the Tough Armor.

I do admire those brave souls who go naked though, brave pioneers.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
My iPhone 7 is finally old enough that I don't care anymore. I'm going caseless. If it breaks I'll buy an SE.

I should note though that it has been in a case and with a screen protector for years now. So it's still in excellent condition.

I'm less concerned about dropping it now that I'm working from home, so that helps.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I actually went backwards compared to most people:

From the OG iPhone to about the iPhone 6 Plus I went caseless. I loved it lol, some people thought I was nuts not having a cover on it. NEVER broke or cracked a screen. The phones did have wear and tear and I kind of liked it because it was somewhat of a 'patina' to the phone so it looks like it's been used.

The 6 Plus though... it looked a little beat up and I baby my iPhones. Tons of microscratches on the screen, and some medium scratches too. Aluminum was kind of scuffed and you can see where some of the impact/dents happened when I dropped it. I regretted not using a case and screen protector on that phone. It still worked, I still sold it to someone and got good money but yeesh I didn't like the scratches lol. I think it's because it has more surface area since it was so much larger than the iPhone 5's before it, that it being wieldy, theres higher chance of it rubbing, knocking, hitting stuff on accident.

So now I use glass screen protectors and cases. I used to think I was badass because I went raw without anything on iPhones but I realize nobody really gives a crap lol.

ALSO, this is a big one: case "technology" and design has also improved dramatically and it's almost fun to change up the look of your iPhone. No longer do cases have to be absolutely massive or made of only cheap plastic. A lot of improvements on ergonomics of these modern phone cases, some designs look sweet and it's reassuring that you can be a little rougher with it without freaking out too much or if you're caught in a situation where it could go wrong (ie: camping, at a party, at the park, etc)

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
VA
To avoid cracking the screen. Why else? I’ve been using iPhones/iPod touches since 2008 and I’ve never cracked a screen. I don’t know anyone else who hasn’t cracked one. I usually use minimalist cases too

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I went case-free on my 2G, 3GS, and 5. When I got a 7, it felt a bit slippier and less grippy than the 5, so I got a leather case for it. Same with the Xs I have today. 5 phones over 13 years and I still have never cracked a screen :)

Last edited:

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Would you rather an iPhone 6S with a broken or unbroken screen?

I understand your point that after a few years a phone will be defunct due to lack of upgrades. But even then, some “less-techy” people would use it or buy it.

Huge difference. Can be the difference between being worth “something” or worth nothing. You can sell anything online, doesn’t mean its worth your time.

I understand both of you ;) don’t agree at all, because I think that a 4 year smartphone with low battery and/or slower performance due to os update is something that you can sell at the same low price with no regards about scuff and marks or similar. But hey, they’re just my two cents :)

DieselFiend1989

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2019
I understand both of you ;) don’t agree at all, because I think that a 4 year smartphone with low battery and/or slower performance due to os update is something that you can sell at the same low price with no regards about scuff and marks or similar. But hey, they’re just my two cents :)

Objectively speaking. I sold a iPhone se classic with some cosmetic issues and with battery health of 90% for $30, best offer I got. Similar phones in better cosmetic condition are being sold for up to $75 currently. Completed sale price, not asking price. In addition, my own personal used iPhones have almost always commanded a premium when sold online because of the excellent condition. Potential buyers will also pay more if you can honestly tell them the phone has been in a case since day one. As a (very) small ebay store owner, It pays for me to pay attention to such things. I suppose $45 might not mean much to some folks, but thats money to me. Especially when I can make that extra $45 on every phone, if I just keep it nice.

pasamio

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2020
I use a wallet case because I drop my phone all the time. The wallet case is useful for putting a few extra cards like transport or keycards (in addition to a credit card) to be able to quickly get to without having to get my wallet out. The wallet case also helps act as a stand as well. I have a screen protector as well because I drop my phone and more defence is better because things land the worst way possible. I dropped it the other day whilst the case was open and it landed on a pointed surface which cracked the protector, so that needs replacing but that's cheaper than getting the screen itself repaired.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Objectively speaking. I sold a iPhone se classic with some cosmetic issues and with battery health of 90% for $30, best offer I got. Similar phones in better cosmetic condition are being sold for up to $75 currently. Completed sale price, not asking price. In addition, my own personal used iPhones have almost always commanded a premium when sold online because of the excellent condition. Potential buyers will also pay more if you can honestly tell them the phone has been in a case since day one. As a (very) small ebay store owner, It pays for me to pay attention to such things. I suppose $45 might not mean much to some folks, but thats money to me. Especially when I can make that extra $45 on every phone, if I just keep it nice.
100% agree. People "eat" with their eyes. I buy and sell phones all the time and can tell you without a doubt, the better it looks, the more you'll get. People like to know that what they're buying has been taken care of (or at least looks like it was). Same as selling a used car, a 5 y/o "excellent condition" car gets more than a "good condition" car. Trust me, I sold cars for a living as well.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Because my pajama pants pockets are too small. And I saw a cool video on YouTube where people were throwing these iPhone's as hard as they could into a wall, and down the stairs and they still worked lol. I'm not that clumsy but I do have some peace of mind that I can beat the piss out of my phone and it should be ok. I still have one on my 7 and its been good to me after a couple of years.

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
So I can put a steel plate on the back of the case for the CD slot magnetic mount in my work car without harming the finish of my phone. I also, like others, want to keep my phone for as long as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.