iPad mini Why do you have an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VanillaCracker, Nov 29, 2013.

1. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

So I bought an iPad Mini with Retina Display today....my first iPad. I've been fiddling around with it for maybe 3-5 hours. I think I'm going to return it tomorrow. I see no use for it with my iPhone 5S sitting in my pocket at all times. The only thing I really enjoyed more on it was playing Plants V. Zombies 2. But even games like Infinity Blade were worse to me because the resolution of the iPad is so high that you can see the lack of fine details in the game more obviously. Some shooting games seem like that are developed for the smaller iPhone screen so even though the scaling is fine they just feel a bit off with the big screen. Overall I just can't imagine situations where it is all that great. I think if you have a low res laptop you will enjoy watching videos more...maybe. But other than that, for the general consumer it seems like a waste to me. Any thoughts? I'm aware professionals can use the full sized iPad (and the mini - if size isn't an issue) for their work flow and other extraordinary situations, but I'm trying to address the average person here.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I find my iPhone a bit too small to do web surfing. I appreciate the larger screen in games and apps. Everything from keeping my DVD collection (DVD Profiler) to handling PDFs (PDF Expert) to taking and keeping notes (Notability). In a pinch I could make do with my iPhone, but having the much larger screen on the iPad makes these and many other apps a joy to use.

I will never go back to playing Infinity Blade on a phone screen... :D

3. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I originally got the mini (first version) because I wanted an ereader. I'd tried the e-ink kindle and liked it, but it didn't handle pdf documents well. It worked brilliantly with IAnnnotate, GoodReader, Kindle, and Djvu, and by now I have a library of dozens of books on it. I'm a teacher and keep my textbooks on it as well. Those are my major uses for the device.

I also use it for gps. Yes one can use a phone for that, but I find it much more useful on a device with a screen that can show a decent part of of a map. And I use it for storing documents I want to read, surfing the Internet and reading emails when I'm not at a desk, and similar tasks. The mini fits in my jacket pocket, so is effectively as portable as a cell phone for me, but much more useful.

4. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I appreciate your comment. Maybe I should clarify a bit. I'm in college with a very limited income but also many things that I still need. My mom told me she wanted to get me a gift that was more indulgent this time because I always get things that I need but they are more like check list kind of items and don't necessarily bring me any joy - thus her notion of wanting to get me something more enjoyable. So I asked for this new iPad (which I'd been anticipating very much) and I'm just not blown away. Maybe it's because my life is not as saturated with luxurious items like some of the other people on here, but it just seems like a waste of money to me. It's a fine experience, but if you have a 5s with the same specs...eh

----------

See that's the thing though. It's not actually more useful. It's just more enjoyable to use for certain tasks.

5. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Maybe the Ipad just isn't for you. Everyone is different. I wasn't the least bit interested in tablet computers until the mini came out, and it occurred to me I could use it as an e-reader It made it possible to keep a library of pdfs without having to print them out.

6. hachiman, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

hachiman macrumors regular

If you feel the iPad does not bring much value to your life, don't buy it.

For example, if you read lots of websites, you may want an iPad because the iPhone is not really good for doing that, it's either too small or you have to constantly zoom in and out. If whatever tasks you do on the iPhone is sufficient and the iPad doesn't bring much value, save your money or get something else.

I actually got rid of my iPhone. I had one since the launch day of the first iPhone but I found out I never really liked the small screen for reading websites, play games, and always wish I had a bigger screen. Not long after the iPad was introduced, I eventually stopped using my iPhone except for basic phone calls. So I ended that and got a (Tracfone) prepaid flip phone instead. Long story short, instead of paying $90-$100 a month on service, which you most likely do not get the full benefit out of it, I pay less than $9 a month instead. So basically in less than a year, the iPad paid for itself, considering an iPhone's contract is about 2 years. But this depends on your lifestyle. At work and at home, I always have wifi and the iPad with me. There are some occasions when I'm on the road and I would like to have internet access, that's when the T-Mobile free 200MB gets used.

Cellular companies knows that people don't really use text message as much since the existence of social media like Instagram, and the same thing with phone calls. They know that but they force everyone to buy into their "Includes unlimited calls and text" and forces you to buy data by the tiers. I hate that, so I would rather keep more of my money in my wallet. The iPad seems like a large investment initially but it pays for itself very quickly. Also when I go out, I am tired of seeing people whipping out their phones (any kind of phone) every 30 seconds to see if they get a new text message. It's almost like life or death and they are desperate for that next text like their next breath.

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I used to feel the same way. I travel with my iPad now instead of a laptop. I use it in bed, at a friend's/family's house in town. In public areas with wifi.

If you keep it long enough it'll find a place in your rotation. It did me... just took some time.

8. Coomb macrumors member

IF my iPad actually gets to me…(will insert story at the end)

1) I need something more portable than my MBP. When I visit other cities I have no wish to take the precious Macbook both for weight and worrying it'll get damaged in transit.

2) There are a ton of resources through iTunes U (eBooks) that would be really helpful for my final university courses. I can't seem to access these through the Mac, just the iPhone.

3) I never ever remember to bring model releases to my clients. There's an app for that. :p It's also handy to have one's portfolio on hand.

4) Typing on the iPhone drives me insane. And I have tiny girly hands. It's great to check the weather or whatever on the go but short of quick, emergency Googling I dislike the small screen.

[Backstory: I managed to get the iPad Air 16 GB for $520 taxes included via Staples. Then I called them to fix my shipping address because I'm housesitting up north and can't get home. They apparently sent it out already, like 30 minutes after the order. So a neighbour will hoooopefully sign for it if she's home. :/ Staples said if she isn't home the order will be cancelled.]

9. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I feel like this nails it here. It takes a little while for it to find its place in your life. After I got my first iPad I often time used it just to use it. I almost forced myself to use it.

This is what I tell my friends (we've had a similar discus on before)--I may not notice that I have an iPad sometimes. Rather, I don't think to use it. But if I DIDN'T have it, I would very quickly miss it.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you have an iPhone, there is a lot less of a need. The bigger screen is great for watching movies and playing games, and much better for reading. Go ahead and indulge a bit! ;)

11. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

12. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I really don't appreciate your commentary when it is clearly in disjunction with what I wrote in my original post. I already stated I am returning it. It is a obvious and distinct decision I've already decided on. But thank you for trying to cater to my needs with an informed opinion.

Thanks..but this is another business standpoint that is not relevant to me hah :rolleyes:

See while I believe that truly, I just find it borderline idiotic. Anything will find its way into your circle of use after enough time, but if your eyes do not strain from an iPhones screen (keep in mind back when the iPhone came out I don't think anyone was straining from a 3.5 inch screen - but now iPads are out and iPhones are a sudden too small for people to read) and you don't need it for business the only real use I can find is a larger screen for reading which does not justify the cost.

I feel like if you have to purposefully use something enough for it to get situated in your life, then it's something you probably don't need to begin with, but just want to convince yourself you need.

13. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I only use mine at home and I can't put it down. I hardly ever use my phone at home. What's really cool is that now I have all my text messages going to my iPad. iPhone screen is too small for web browsing or using tapatalk.

14. Coomb macrumors member

The purpose of the thread confuses me. You asked us why have an iPad. You've pointed out you're an "average user" and in college. My post included such things. I wish I had an iPad while in the lecture hall. Not sure why you're putting everyone down? If you don't like it, return it. What insight are you trying to gain?

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I stream photos/videos off my home server. Use it to surf the web. PDF reader.

16. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

The title of the thread is the question. However the first post still dictates the thread as we'll. In my post it states many references to the average consumer which entails myself. I was simply wondering why people justify the uses of an average consumer while using an iPhone but I guess most people just think an iPad is the bees knees for typing and an iPhone is too small to browse the web on. I guess I get that. I do appreciate the comments, haha I'm a very blunt person but don't take it as discontent, I am simply argumentative because it is how I learn best. :)

With that said, I also don't see the point of an iPad in lecture when you could just use a laptop instead. Typing is quicker on a laptop and web browsing is easier too.

----------

Maybe I'm just baffled at the way people have moved all their "web browsing time" to the couch. Because surely if you were set up at a desk with your laptop or desktop then your computer would be a faster, easier web browsing experience.

17. rkuo macrumors 6502a

It's also called giving something a chance. A lot of people have a hard time understanding the nuances of how they will use something until they actually try it out.

18. VanillaCracker thread starter macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yes this is true. I'm surprised so many people have bought something with the intention of "trying it out" in an effort to make it's use effective in their life.

19. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

You ask a question and then jump everybody for their responses excusing your actions with "ha ha I'm a very blunt person"...We'll, junior, I can be just as blunt. They are my iPads. I buy them because I have the money and I want them. No other information needed.

20. donnaw, Nov 29, 2013

donnaw macrumors 65816

As for your comment about people not thinking the first iPhone at 3.5" was too small to surf - the first smartphones were used mostly by business people who needed to combine a portable phone and a PDA. And the first smart phones did just that. Web browsing wasn't much on the list of 'things I want to do on a phone'. Now, it does seem that most still find browsing on a small screen to be inadequate, hence the movement to larger screens. You're still young, wait until your eyes start to deteriorate, you'll change your mind then. Until then, enjoy your phone and spend your money on something that will bring you joy.

And for people moving their browsing to the couch when they may have a perfectly good computer set up, chances are that the computer is in another room. Face it, sitting on the couch to leisurely browse, check email, etc. is just more comfortable on a soft couch vs a desk chair (even a really good one).

It seems that you aren't the target market for an iPad. That's fine, not everyone is. But I too am confused by your thread. If you mind is made up to return it and you're not really interested in how others use theirs then why the thread?

PS: as for being blunt, you might think about reining that in a bit. It won't really get you very far. In my 62 years I have found that most (maybe not all) people who claim that being blunt is 'just the way they are' is simply an excuse to not be civil. Not saying that you do that but you need to be aware that many people will see it that way.

21. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

iBooks, Web Surf, YouTube, Netflix, HBO GO, Reddit, Evernote, etc.

You know, all the fun stuff.

22. Coomb macrumors member

No doubt we wouldn't have enjoyed each other's company in a philosophy class. : P

Well I'll try and reiterate what I meant. In terms of size, yes, it's definitely preferable to the iPhone (I own a 4s) in terms of typing and far more portable than a laptop. This ties in with the purpose of an iPad in a lecture hall. I'm not sure what hall setups you're used to but my university could be quite a gamble. Some were spacious rows of table tops, others gave you a tiny little armrest, if that. Older halls were generally the latter. If my laptop could fit either on my lap or on the arm rest (and that is an if) I personally felt self conscious about the people next to me squished in and quite able to read my interpretations of the professor's verbal notes. I'm a biology major, and often notes require diagrams and characters that are much faster to write with pen and paper. I hope to use the iPad in lieu of these (with a stylus) as paper tends to get lost or damaged in my apartment, not to mention if a binder pops open, chaos everywhere. In the instances I do use paper, apps such as Evernote are fantastic to scan these notes in. I also like how easily it syncs, so it's right there on my laptop at home.

I guess the posts aren't satisfying you as people are unsure of what you mean by an average user. I don't think we view ourselves as special or out of the ordinary? If I weren't in university and I weren't constantly doing school work/email outside my home I wouldn't have any use for it that could justify the cost. But that's me.

23. nStyle macrumors 65816

Sounds to me that you just got the wrong iPad. I agree with you that there isn't enough differentiation between the Mini and the 5/5S to warrant owning both. That's why you need to try the Air. I think you'd see the difference much more clearly.

Bottom line is any iPad you buy is a luxury device and you won't try to, or at least you'd be a little insane to, perform all your computing functions on one. It's simply an amazing piece of technology you can pick up and it just works and is so convenient for doing certain things.

It's truly a luxury because a laptop will do so much more and is nearly as portable but the iPad is the ultimate in portability and convenience. So, in theory, you could easily own a laptop and never miss an iPad, but would you want to? It always reminds me of that Tic-Tac commercial that says something similar.

The TRUE bottom line is that no one can ever convince you that it will change your life or considerably boost your productivity or make you more money or get you more women. It's a computing toy in my opinion. The best one made!

24. AppleFanatic10, Nov 29, 2013

AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I just bought a brand new iPad Mini off eBay... I've been wanting one for a couple of weeks now and with the price drop, I was like why not? Anyway, I have a lot of ebook textbooks that I would rather read/carry on an iPad then carry the actual book. I also like it for games, etc. I have a really low res laptop (netbook) and honestly watching videos on it is a pain. I hate watching 320p videos on my netbook.

Btw, it was much cheaper/faster to go on the eBay route, than to buy the iPad Mini off of Apple. I saved around $23.60 with faster shipping, so I won't have to wait a week and a half to get my stuff. Let's just clarify that I paid $305.31 for it, and buying from apple would have cost me 328.91.

25. hachiman, Nov 29, 2013

hachiman macrumors regular

If that's the case, why even post here? You clearly made the decision to not own an iPad based on your situation, why keep asking?

If you have no preference for it, find something else you like. Just like car makers that make all kinds of cars. If there is a type of car you don't find useful, it is still useful for other people. Some would rather not get a car at all if they live in the cities. Everyone has different needs. You don't have to buy new gadgets every Christmas season, that's just companies trying to suck your currency out of your wallet, including Apple. If you don't need it, don't buy it.

Go buy yourself a nice bicycle and exercise with it, how's that? Your health is a luxury worth having.

So far, I don't understand what you are trying to ask here. You say you don't want the iPad and have already made the decision to return it, yet you ask other people what their reason for owning one and you are just confusing everyone with the purpose of this thread.