Why do you jailbreak your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GarySky, Jul 21, 2009.

1. GarySky macrumors newbie

I don't Jailbreak my iPhone, but I would like to know so I could try with my old 16GB 3G. :D

Why did you jailbreak your iPhone?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    My main reason for jailbreaking was so that I can unlock it, so I can use it on T-Mobile. Not jailbroken = not unlocked.

3. GarySky thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I see. Did you download backgrounder for your iPhone?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

No. I would only install backgrounder if I had a 3G S. I don't want the lag, and very rarely ever have the need to run apps in the background, especially with the new Push Notifications.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Yes. If you see my first post, I say that my phone HAS to be jailbroken. Because I use T-Mobile for my provider.

6. NachoDuck macrumors newbie

Same as jmann, needs to be jailbroken so I can unlock it to use with Orange in the UK. I don't have backgrounder though, even though I have a 3G S. I don't really see the need for it.

7. GarySky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. I may try jailbreaking my old iPhone very soon

8. Haephestos macrumors regular

I jailbroke for Backgrounder, SBSettings and GRiP.
    I was Jailbroken on my 3G iPhone before the advent of 3.0, and I never had any problems with Backgrounder. I managed to run Pandora while playing Rolando, and neither ever crashed on me. I am contemplating JB'ing again, but can't decide. :D

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I don't.

I have no need to run applications that are not in the app store and use ATT for my carrier :)

10. Blueravr macrumors member

I jailbroke for 3gUnrestrictor, and winterboard seeing as I paid for Aqwoah. Which I love his theme's.

11. GarySky thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody here thinks that jailbreaking for a new theme is worth it?

12. Blueravr macrumors member

I did mainly for the 3gUnrestrictor. As I like viewing youtube in better quality and also downloading apps from the appstore >10MB. The theme's I bought when the 3G first came out. So why not keep using them...
    [​IMG]

13. Blueravr macrumors member

It looks just as if you were on WIFI viewing.
    taken from a webpage that shows it.. Too much time for me to turn off and take pic and then turn back on. Although I probably could've done it in the time it took to type this message
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Here's the main reasons for me....

1-Winterboard customization, although I'm not heavily modded. I only use Aqwoah themes and Talking Alerts.

2-iBlacklist, call/sms blocker

3-Notifier (still needs some work for 3.0), gives you repeating alerts for missed calls/sms/mail/etc.

4-SBSettings (could do without really)

May actually retry the backgrounder application when I get the 3GS iPhone (probably tomorrow), as I really like streaming apps like Sirius/XM, Music 3 (simplify media), and WunderRadio, but you can't browse while listening to those....

15. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I'm one that jailbroke mainly for themeing. I just dont like Apple's stock theme and have found a much more sleek, professional look for my phone, completely customized with my monogram and company logo.

Intelliscreen is a close second on why I jailbroke. I rely on Intelliscreen highly to keep track of my upcoming dates.

Other than those, the only other jailbroken apps I have are Cycorder, BossPrefs and MyWi (tethering).

So yes, it was worth it for me.

16. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

First and foremost reason is that I have T-Mobile.

Secondly, I like to customize my iPhone. Makes it much more personal and entertaining to play around with.

17. theman510 macrumors 6502

What theme is this?? Looks really nice!

18. Coraline macrumors member

I did it because I am big on customizing. I only did it last night, so I am still exploring.

19. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

SBSettings and Five Icon Dock (easier to move icons around)...and some other tweaks here and there. You just get the most of your phone if you jailbreak.

20. Blueravr macrumors member

IT is the Aqwoah theme. You have to donate to get the repo. He constantly updates the icons for new app's that come out. These are just to show you a preview of some of the icons
    [​IMG][​IMG]

kinda funny how my phone shows a minute after the post was made

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I haven't yet... am thinking about it for backgrounder. I jb my 2G way back before 2.0 and it got pretty buggy and slow, but I hear things are much better now.

22. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

23. jmitch150 macrumors regular

jmitch150

The biggest thing for me is high quality videos over 3g and backgrounder.

24. vlug macrumors 6502

I Jailbroke my phone for these Apps and Reasons:

3G Unrestrictor - Run YouTube/iTunes/Skype and other Apps to trick the phone into thinking its on wifi.

Backgrounder - Run apps such as WunderRadio in the background whilst still doing other stuff on the phone.

Winterboard - Customise my phone so it isn't just a bland iPhone like every other, I mean Apple has always been good with design but why not let us pick or change it about.

Sounds/Msg Alerts - Change the stock msg alert tones to something other than the horrible ones that come with the phone.

Bluetooth - So I can go back to the 90's and use Bluetooth for sending and receiving files like all modern phones can!

And finally when it comes to the end of my contract I want to be able to give/sell the phone and unlock it from its current network.

25. 22Hz macrumors member

What is that NES icon?

...and that Twilight icon, no, please no.:(