Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It will still need an alternate means of entry in case the scanned finger can not be used.

So while maybe convenient its only as secure as it was prior to the scanner.

I don't think we are necessarily asking for a MORE secure method than there was before. The person you just quoted seems to simply want the convenience of scanning a fingers once and being ready to mobile bank rather than having to enter all that jibberish he mentioned above. And to this I agree. I don't want passwords to go anywhere as I want to be able to log on with my PC, and various other terminals. But if I can do all that with the swipe of a finger and be at least as secure as traditional username and password methods I would be a pretty happy camper. Unfortunately, pretty much everything that has been available in the consumer electronics field thus far has been garbage, that I am aware of anyway.

But in a way, if all you are using is this fingerprint scanner to log in, EVER, it is likely it will translate to higher security than a password. I would think most passwords aren't "hacked" but rather phished. The latter requires relatively little coding knowledge. The former would require a great deal more.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I think the most useful part of the fingerprint scanner will be if they combine it with iCloud keychain. If each time you are asked for login info you have the option to just swipe your fingerprint and autofill everything for you, that will save a ton of time as well as make things more secure. Personally I would choose more complex passwords if I didn't have to type them so frequently.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Eh, I decided I didn't need the additional screen real-estate as it was implemented with the iPhone 5 before it was announced. I was right. :p

part of the fun about rumors, especially on a rumor site is discussing them, no? :)

He wasn't discussing rumors; he flat out said it wasn't necessary without a single detail about it's implementation and basically told us what our opinion should be about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.