Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Seems like that could be good for Apple is what you’re saying. Quality is subjective definition though.

Oh absolutely! I often use the saying 'a fool and his money' etc. etc. when describing today's UK consumer society. I'm not particularly referring to the iPhone with that comment as the quality is good. However, when I've examined a lot of products with a so called designer label vis-a-vis quality, I find many to be sadly lacking.

A finding which has been made by many a consumer programme too.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes but let's be candid, us Brits aren't the most discerning of consumers are we. Well certainly not the younger ones amongst us who will basically buy anything that has a so called designer label no matter what the quality.
Undoubtedly the iPhone is a popular and fashionable brand but I’d disagree it’s maintaining its success purely based on that. It’s a simple but well designed product and is appealing across many demographics. I read that in the UK the most popular phone sold in the last 12 months was actually the iPhone 7. I think they are popular in business and the corporate environment because their simplicity is easily manageable too.

I enjoy using the iPhone and don’t see any reason to change platform at this point. People choose what’s best for them at the end of the day and I know that annoys some of you here who are frustrated extra features on Android don’t get acknowledged as an attraction but hey. Once you invest in an ecosystem it’s much easier come upgrade time to get the newer version of what you’ve got too.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Oh absolutely! I often use the saying 'a fool and his money' etc. etc. when describing today's UK consumer society. I'm not particularly referring to the iPhone with that comment as the quality is good. However, when I've examined a lot of products with a so called designer label vis-a-vis quality, I find many to be sadly lacking.

A finding which has been made by many a consumer programme too.
To keep this in the realm of the thread, the flagship phones by Apple and Samsung are high quality. Based on your preferences pick one or the other.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
To keep this in the realm of the thread, the flagship phones by Apple and Samsung are high quality. Based on your preferences pick one or the other.

Oh, I think Hauwei are now the up and coming stars. I know the U.S. consumers don't have much experience of this manufacturer due to some bizarre concerns around security.

The P20 Pro is being widely acknowledged (with awards to prove it) as the best smartphone of 2018. The whole package is simply stunning, with huge battery life and a good price point. The fact they have sold 10 million since the end of March speaks for itself.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Oh, I think Hauwei are now the up and coming stars. I know the U.S. consumers don't have much experience of this manufacturer due to some bizarre concerns around security.

The P20 Pro is being widely acknowledged (with awards to prove it) as the best smartphone of 2018. The whole package is simply stunning, with huge battery life and a good price point. The fact they have sold 10 million since the end of March speaks for itself.
"Best" is definitely relative. For me, when I buy a phone I look beyond the hardware. I'm sure Hauwei is great and the 10 million units they sold I'm guessing are mostly in China. I think phone makers should be acknowledged for pushing the envelope, but your right, in the US it's a different story. And phones like the p20 pro may be why the Galaxy s9 sales are dismal.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
"Best" is definitely relative. For me, when I buy a phone I look beyond the hardware. I'm sure Hauwei is great and the 10 million units they sold I'm guessing are mostly in China. I think phone makers should be acknowledged for pushing the envelope, but your right, in the US it's a different story. And phones like the p20 pro may be why the Galaxy s9 sales are dismal.
They have sold a huge amount in Western Europe where they are going down a storm.

https://www.androidcentral.com/p20-pro-already-huaweis-best-selling-flagship-western-europe

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Still "best" is still subjective. I'm happy it's selling great in western europe, of course if it's predecessor didn't sell well, having a 300% plus increase is an easy feat if the phone is much better.

How is it selling in the US?
Not available in USA
[doublepost=1536601316][/doublepost]
Undoubtedly the iPhone is a popular and fashionable brand but I’d disagree it’s maintaining its success purely based on that.
There are a lot of people who get iPhones as a "fashionable brand". Look at the number of phones in cases with circular holes in the case at the Apple logo :)

Reactions: Lankyman

-C-

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
There are a lot of people who get iPhones as a "fashionable brand". Look at the number of phones in cases with circular holes in the case at the Apple logo :)

Apple has always had a strong focus on design so that’s nothing new, and the Apple logo is part of that identity. Android tries to be just as “fashionable” by putting the google logo, the mascot, and the cutesy dessert themes everywhere, including cases. It says more about you that you associate the Apple logo as more fashionable ;)

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
True, or the number of phones with the brand on the front face as well as the back. I don’t have a problem with cases showing off logos personally and I couldn’t honestly say that is the sole reason people buy an iPhone for instance and neither could anybody here.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Apple has always had a strong focus on design so that’s nothing new, and the Apple logo is part of that identity. Android tries to be just as “fashionable” by putting the google logo and the mascot everywhere, including cases. It says more about you that you associate the Apple logo as more fashionable ;)
No. It says something about someone who buys a phone case with a circular cutout at the Apple logo, as they clearly want people to see it. That has always amused me.

I have never had an Android phone with a Google logo on it. Or seen cases like that. Only understated brand name. My earlier Moto X Play had a Motorola logo on the back I think, but case didn't have a cutout for the logo.

eyedoc2020

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2015
NOVA
I have had many iPhones and many Android phones. I love how the Android phones allow you to customize and set up your phone exactly how you want it. In that regards they are unbeatable. My beef with Android phones is that every single one of them begins to lag and stutter short of 2 years. It is frustrating. The eventual lag is the sole reason I carry an iPhone. They stay quick and lag free far longer than an Android based phone.

-C-

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
No. It says something about someone who buys a phone case with a circular cutout at the Apple logo, as they clearly want people to see it. That has always amused me.

I have never had an Android phone with a Google logo on it. Or seen cases like that. Only understated brand name. My earlier Moto X Play had a Motorola logo on the back I think, but case didn't have a cutout for the logo.

I'm sure some do and some don't have a choice and don't care if they like the particular case for other reasons but it's only available with a cutout. Just like some want to show off how fashionable they are with the mascot and dessert themes and some don't care.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
True, or the number of phones with the brand on the front face as well as the back. I don’t have a problem with cases showing off logos personally and I couldn’t honestly say that is the sole reason people buy an iPhone for instance and neither could anybody here.
I don't think anyone want is saying that branding is the sole reason for people inbuying iPhones, but many do. I have had people who have directly told me that is why they have an iPhone. Because it looks cool. And they want the logo to be seen through a case.
Younger people in general are very gullable when it comes to "Being fashionable". A perfect example is footballers pulling their socks up over their knees. How many were doing that last year? In fact I have just seen three Albania players on the TV just doing that :) Probably a few Scots as well.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

It’s up to the person what case they choose and it’s certainly not a negative choice as it’s entirely personal. My iPhone case is clear and shows the phone through it. If it offends or amuses anybody then it’s their problem as far as I am concerned.

-C-

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
I don't think anyone want is saying that branding is the sole reason for people inbuying iPhones, but many do. I have had people who have directly told me that is why they have an iPhone. Because it looks cool. And they want the logo to be seen through a case.
Younger people in general are very gullable when it comes to "Being fashionable". A perfect example is footballers pulling their socks up over their knees. How many were doing that last year? In fact I have just seen three Albania players on the TV just doing that :) Probably a few Scots as well.

I have had people tell me directly that the sole reason they bought an Android is that it's not an iPhone, and they want people to know it and some even spend a massive amounts of time online and in person telling everyone. They believe themselves as part of some kind of counter-culture...never mind that how it's marketed. I guess the revolution will be televised after all....

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If people are buying purely for the brand I guess they get a very good mobile phone out of it, so in reality it doesn’t really matter.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
I'm sure some do and some don't have a choice and don't care if they like the particular case for other reasons but it's only available with a cutout. Just like some want to show off how fashionable they are with the mascot and dessert themes and some don't care.
Manufacturers make the cases with cutouts because they know they sell better. It's an additional tooling feature so they cost more to manufacture. I've asked people why they have a case with a cuyouysnd they have ss
And again I am mystified by these people who show off Google mascots etc. Where do you see this? On phones? Or clothing???
It’s up to the person what case they choose and it’s certainly not a negative choice as it’s entirely personal. My iPhone case is clear and shows the phone through it. If it offends or amuses anybody then it’s their problem as far as I am concerned.
I'm not offended by holes in cases. I'm amused by it :)
[doublepost=1536609769][/doublepost]
I have had people tell me directly that the sole reason they bought an Android is that it's not an iPhone, and they want people to know it and some even spend a massive amounts of time online and in person telling everyone. They believe themselves as part of some kind of counter-culture...never mind that how it's marketed. I guess the revolution will be televised after all....
That's fine. I am sure that is the case :) It was suggested that nobody buys an iPhone for fashion reasons in an earlier post.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As I've always said, buy what works for you. If one platform offers specs or features that you view as more valuable, go with that. In the end, it doesn't make a difference to others what you choose, it will always come down to personal preference. One spec or feature that you feel is critical to the platform may mean nothing to someone else. This debate (not the intent of the thread, I am aware) is meaningless.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
The current Android OS runs very well on my Pixel (Amazon $350 new). Android’s current OS iterations have limited custom ROMs being developed, maybe because there isn’t much to improve upon.

I use an IPP as my primary computer, and really like the iPhone and AW. It’s the quality and consistency between these devices that have me using Apple products.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
As I've always said, buy what works for you. It one platform offers features that you view as more valuable, go with that. In the end, it doesn't make a difference to others what you choose. It will always come down to personal preference. One spec or feature that you feel is critical to the platform may mean nothing to someone else. This debate (not the intent of the thread, I am aware) is meaningless.
''I do care a lot what products someone else uses as it makes me feel more empowered with my own opinion validating my own purchase'' <- This is what's happening on this thread.
In the end of the day it's just gadgets we use daily as tools and nothing else. Who cares what kind of toothpaste brand one likes. People should think more about that before defending any specific brand or product.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
As I've always said, buy what works for you. If one platform offers specs or features that you view as more valuable, go with that. In the end, it doesn't make a difference to others what you choose, it will always come down to personal preference. One spec or feature that you feel is critical to the platform may mean nothing to someone else. This debate (not the intent of the thread, I am aware) is meaningless.
Agree with everything you said. The unfortunate part is folks feel (for whatever reason) like they are being personally attacked because another person chooses to use whatever device/platform they aren't using. It's dumb and it's, unfortunately, human nature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.