Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ooloo

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2018
Well, realistically, it is not practical. Firstly, many 3rd party apps make use of Google services so your info gets to Google anyway when you use those apps. And it is unlikely that anyone dont use Google search, youtube or maybe Google map. So the only way is to pack away your iphone and revert to paper and ink :p

I think those of us on Android or Samsung Galaxy/ can see the flexibility it provides compared to iOS/Iphone. But of course if to a regular Joe Blogg who doesnt use the phone to its fullest then there is not much different.

But to those who wanted to do more, Android is still more flexible and capable. Just a quick rundown (I have this list from long ago, just imagine - just updated with info of Note9) - and it seems iphone still can't do many of these capabilities. Of course some of these, you can have in Iphone with complicated workarounds. But fact is Android can do much more easier. And if you WANTED :) you can make it more capable and explore other use cases that are not available with Iphone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware

- S-PEN: stylus with 4000 level of pressure sensivity. Screen and stylus designed as a package to give complete pen/draw experience (unlike Ipen which is just a tag on). S-Pen is BT capable so can be use as basic remote camera/presentation clicker or usage can be customized for individual apps. Pen charges in seconds.

- Headphone jack

- Dual SIM card support. No need to carry 2 phones around.

- Built-in memory upto 512gb and MicroSD card support - up to 1 TB (future proof)

- Built-in heart rate/SP02/stress sensor

- USB Type C with usb-host /4K HDMI out/ DEX support

- LED Notification Light: Get reminder of missed events discretely.

- Fingerprint sensor for instant unlock.

- Dual Aperture camera - For better low light capability

- 2 microphones for stereo audio recording

Connectivity

- SIDESYNC : operate phone from any PC/mac (i.e. not proprietary) within wifi network. Phone screen appears as a virtual window in PC/mac. You can use PC mouse/speaker/mic to make calls or continue an editing session or run any apps in the phone from the PC. Similar to Iphone hand-off/continuity but more flexible (without needing to login to same account for all devices).

- DEX docking station- transform phone into a full desktop experience. Let you do basic desktop workflows without needing another desktop PC.

- WIFI Display (or miracast) built-in. Mirror phone screen to any wifi-capable TV without any additional setup or intermediate hardware (like apple tv). Or reverse mirror any TV screen to phone.

- WIFI sharing - use phone to act as wifi repeater/router for other devices

- Transfer any files between ANY devices via Wifi-Direct / BT. No additional setup/hardware requirement.

- Plug in portable disk/thumbdrive directly to phone using usb cable. Quickly transfer out your files/photos/videos (without going through slow and expensive cloud storage). Or just play a video off your portable drive. Or use mouse to interact with phone.

- Play music to 2 different sound devices via BT 5.0 (e.g. share music to 2 BT headsets). Also set individual app to specific sound source e.g. waze to always output sound to phone speakers and music players to BT. Using sound assistant you can set up different sound profiles depending on situations. Use Adapt Sound to fine tune sound to match you.

- Samsung Pay - can be used at more outlets (since it supports both NFC and magnetic strip)

- File System: something fundamental that we have been using (that's missing from Iphone). You can load any files into internal storage and ANY installed apps can use those files directly (no need for workaround using expensive and slow cloud storages)

- VR headset support - a whole new experience for you to explore

- With Samsung Connect + SmartThings Hub - provide an integrated systems to connect/manage your TV/fridge/appliances or home audio/visual and home accessories like lights/sensors. SmartThings supports most home automation protocols and there many more 3rd party devices support compared to Homekit.

OS / Software

AOD - always on display. simple and yet very useful. Plus you can theme it as well.

Multi-Window - run apps in separate top/bottom windows or popup windows simultaneously. e.g continue to view you tube while you are doing a whatsapp chat.

Secure Folder - it is like a second login environment. It has a separate copy of system settings. You can install second copy of your app here and it runs in its own seperate data space. e.g. you can concurrently run 2 copies of whatsapp (one for work number and the personal number) and get notify at the same time. Or setup another Exchange account to sync work email which is only viewable in secure folder.

Game launcher - a separate environment to launch games. You can set sound, notify on/off, no accidental touches, boost performance etc

Advanced Camera software - Built-in AI to detect different scenes. Pro mode. Simultaneous front/back camera photo/video taking

Set default app - you can set your own app to be default app to open different kind of files/data. Or change the soft keyboard.

Shortcut - create shortcuts to anything: one touch direct dial/sms, directly open battery usage in Settings, open specific screen of an app directly etc. Place shortcuts anywhere - in homescreen, notification, side panel etc.

Home/Launcher - fully customizable with themes, widgets, icon packs and live wallpapers - no more boring grid of icons. You can also use other launchers as well. Personalize your UI anyway you like.

Smart Lock - auto unlock when phone is connected to certain pre-specified locations (incl BT/Wifi/geo locations)

Side panels - customizable with many useful add-on panels as well. Includes functionality to clip your screen or create GIF from screen.

Play/App Store: Many app stores to choose from. You can also side-load apps giving you more flexibilities and cost benefits.

Other Niceties - (1) record phone calls. (2) smart stay to keep screen on while you are looking at it. (3) answer call by pressing volume key (4) end call with power key (5) reduce UI size for one handed use (6) take continuous screen shot (7) flip phone over to mute call (8) quickly launch camera by double press power button 9) gesture-based navigation with One-Hand-Operation+

Automation

There are unlimited possibilities with Android multi-tasking capability. You can setup tasks which the phone can do automatically for you. This opens up quite a lot of use cases NOT possible with Iphone. Some examples you can have running in your phone.

- auto set ring/network profile depending on situations (at home/work/outdoors)
- redirect important calls to another phone when you are engaged (without using operator services).
- start call recording when calls from certain persons.
- auto change wallpaper based on events or periodically.
- mute/unmute ring based on calendar meetings.
- timed ring profile.
- tap on NFC sticker - initiated certain tasks.
- auto send canned SMS to birthday
- pull files from certain ftp/http locations to phone periodically or when certain parameters changed
- selective sync from cloud storage to local folders
- auto start/close apps when certain app is started.
- start music app when headphone is plug in
- start certain app(s) on phone remotely or using a SMS.
- set screen to landscape when certain apps are launched.
- auto read out received text/whatsapp under certain preset conditions like driving/phone turned over/etc
- and MANY MANY MORE.

great phone, no question about it! apple would probably charge a similar speced iphone 2000 dollars. but does it matter? i mean, all these specs and many people still prefer iphone

Reactions: Txguy82

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
great phone, no question about it! apple would probably charge a similar speced iphone 2000 dollars. but does it matter? i mean, all these specs and many people still prefer iphone

I thought the last I looked, it is not even 2 in 10 people bought an iPhone :)

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
Of course they do. Becomes abundantly clear once you read the user agreement. They even tell you that unless you’re okay with them collecting and sharing your data, some features of the device will not be available (and by some you know they mean almost all of them).

Someone posted a link to the user agreement a few threads back. Can’t possibly be more blatantly stated.

If you could find this and share the link, I'd greatly appreciate it. As far as anyone can tell, Google collects too much data and Apple doesn't collect as much.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
If you could find this and share the link, I'd greatly appreciate it. As far as anyone can tell, Google collects too much data and Apple doesn't collect as much.
https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/

I’m not defending Google but how do you know who collects what, how much and what they do with it? I keep seeing people talking about how bad Google is and how much better Apple is but I’m yet to see any supporting info to back up any of it.

Reactions: Grimham and Alundra

Alundra

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012

It matters to smart people.

If people still prefer overpriced iPhones with old technology, that's their problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/

I’m not defending Google but how do you know who collects what, how much and what they do with it? I keep seeing people talking about how bad Google is and how much better Apple is but I’m yet to see any supporting info to back up any of it.
Logically, Google's central source of revenue is data collection. Apple's is not, so they collect less whereas Google make it much more difficult to opt out of data collection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimham

Suspended
Jul 2, 2018
Logically, Google's central source of revenue is data collection. Apple's is not, so they collect less whereas Google make it much more difficult to opt out of data collection.

And you know this how? Please back that statement up.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, realistically, it is not practical. Firstly, many 3rd party apps make use of Google services so your info gets to Google anyway when you use those apps. And it is unlikely that anyone dont use Google search, youtube or maybe Google map. So the only way is to pack away your iphone and revert to paper and ink :p

I think those of us on Android or Samsung Galaxy/ can see the flexibility it provides compared to iOS/Iphone. But of course if to a regular Joe Blogg who doesnt use the phone to its fullest then there is not much different.

But to those who wanted to do more, Android is still more flexible and capable. Just a quick rundown (I have this list from long ago, just imagine - just updated with info of Note9) - and it seems iphone still can't do many of these capabilities. Of course some of these, you can have in Iphone with complicated workarounds. But fact is Android can do much more easier. And if you WANTED :) you can make it more capable and explore other use cases that are not available with Iphone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware

- S-PEN: stylus with 4000 level of pressure sensivity. Screen and stylus designed as a package to give complete pen/draw experience (unlike Ipen which is just a tag on). S-Pen is BT capable so can be use as basic remote camera/presentation clicker or usage can be customized for individual apps. Pen charges in seconds.

- Headphone jack

- Built-in memory upto 512gb and MicroSD card support - up to 1 TB (future proof)

Connectivity

- SIDESYNC : operate phone from any PC/mac (i.e. not proprietary) within wifi network. Phone screen appears as a virtual window in PC/mac. You can use PC mouse/speaker/mic to make calls or continue an editing session or run any apps in the phone from the PC. Similar to Iphone hand-off/continuity but more flexible (without needing to login to same account for all devices).

- DEX docking station- transform phone into a full desktop experience. Let you do basic desktop workflows without needing another desktop PC.

- WIFI Display (or miracast) built-in. Mirror phone screen to any wifi-capable TV without any additional setup or intermediate hardware (like apple tv). Or reverse mirror any TV screen to phone.

- Transfer any files between ANY devices via Wifi-Direct / BT. No additional setup/hardware requirement.

- Plug in portable disk/thumbdrive directly to phone using usb cable. Quickly transfer out your files/photos/videos (without going through slow and expensive cloud storage). Or just play a video off your portable drive. Or use mouse to interact with phone.

- Play music to 2 different sound devices via BT 5.0 (e.g. share music to 2 BT headsets). Also set individual app to specific sound source e.g. waze to always output sound to phone speakers and music players to BT. Using sound assistant you can set up different sound profiles depending on situations. Use Adapt Sound to fine tune sound to match you.

- Samsung Pay - can be used at more outlets (since it supports both NFC and magnetic strip)

- File System: something fundamental that we have been using (that's missing from Iphone). You can load any files into internal storage and ANY installed apps can use those files directly (no need for workaround using expensive and slow cloud storages)

- With Samsung Connect + SmartThings Hub - provide an integrated systems to connect/manage your TV/fridge/appliances or home audio/visual and home accessories like lights/sensors. SmartThings supports most home automation protocols and there many more 3rd party devices support compared to Homekit.

OS / Software

AOD - always on display. simple and yet very useful. Plus you can theme it as well.

Multi-Window - run apps in separate top/bottom windows or popup windows simultaneously. e.g continue to view you tube while you are doing a whatsapp chat.

Secure Folder - it is like a second login environment. It has a separate copy of system settings. You can install second copy of your app here and it runs in its own seperate data space. e.g. you can concurrently run 2 copies of whatsapp (one for work number and the personal number) and get notify at the same time. Or setup another Exchange account to sync work email which is only viewable in secure folder.

Game launcher - a separate environment to launch games. You can set sound, notify on/off, no accidental touches, boost performance etc

Advanced Camera software - Built-in AI to detect different scenes. Pro mode. Simultaneous front/back camera photo/video taking

Set default app - you can set your own app to be default app to open different kind of files/data. Or change the soft keyboard.

Shortcut - create shortcuts to anything: one touch direct dial/sms, directly open battery usage in Settings, open specific screen of an app directly etc. Place shortcuts anywhere - in homescreen, notification, side panel etc.

Home/Launcher - fully customizable with themes, widgets, icon packs and live wallpapers - no more boring grid of icons. You can also use other launchers as well. Personalize your UI anyway you like.

Smart Lock - auto unlock when phone is connected to certain pre-specified locations (incl BT/Wifi/geo locations)

Side panels - customizable with many useful add-on panels as well. Includes functionality to clip your screen or create GIF from screen.

Play/App Store: Many app stores to choose from. You can also side-load apps giving you more flexibilities and cost benefits.

Other Niceties - (1) record phone calls. (2) smart stay to keep screen on while you are looking at it. (3) answer call by pressing volume key (4) end call with power key (5) reduce UI size for one handed use (6) take continuous screen shot (7) flip phone over to mute call (8) quickly launch camera by double press power button 9) gesture-based navigation with One-Hand-Operation+

Automation

There are unlimited possibilities with Android multi-tasking capability. You can setup tasks which the phone can do automatically for you. This opens up quite a lot of use cases NOT possible with Iphone. Some examples you can have running in your phone.

- redirect important calls to another phone when you are engaged (without using operator services).
- timed ring profile.
- pull files from certain ftp/http locations to phone periodically or when certain parameters changed
- auto read out received text/whatsapp under certain preset conditions like driving/phone turned over/etc
- and MANY MANY MORE.
You're conflating the capability with the method with most of these "talking" points. Headphone jack is a great example, I can listen through my headphones on my iphone 7, that capability is still there. The list is way to arcane to debunk the FUD that ensues in this post.

I compare many of those points to a trailer hitch on a vehicle. One can postulate a trailer hitch makes the vehicle more versatile, but how many vehicles have trailer hitches vs how many not?
Some find it useful, some don't, but that doesn't make it better because your car has one.
[doublepost=1536367066][/doublepost]
And you know this how? Please back that statement up.
How does google earn it's revenue? How does apple earn it's revenue?

Last edited:
Reactions: adamhenry

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014

Hardware

- Headphone jack

Connectivity

OS / Software

Automation

- timed ring profile.
- and MANY MANY MORE.

Awesome post. Thanks. Note 9 will hands down be the best phone of 2018 just like the Note 8 was the best phone of 2017. Lift your game Apple.

Reactions: Alundra and Grimham

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You're conflating the capability with the method with most of these "talking" points. Headphone jack is a great example, I can listen through my headphones on my iphone 7, that capability is still there. The list is way to arcane to debunk the FUD that ensues in this post.

I compare many of those points to a trailer hitch on a vehicle. One can postulate a trailer hitch makes the vehicle more versatile, but how many vehicles have trailer hitches vs how many not?
Some find it useful, some don't, but that doesn't make it better because your car has one.

Just a trailer hitch only? You can do much better than this. :p

More like iPhone is a car with barebone options. Note9 is the same car with all the options added on.

Yeah, (iPhone) want to adjust car seat position go crank the lever. (Note9) just press a button

Reactions: Grimham

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015

More like iPhone is a car with barebone options. Note9 is the same car with all the options added on.

Yeah, (iPhone) want to adjust car seat position go crank the lever. (Note9) just press a button
Be careful with the seat analogy to phones. If you plan on keeping the car, that lever is going to be working far longer than that power seat - less to go wrong.

Reactions: Txguy82 and I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

No, a trailer hitch is about the size of it. While the list is long, it is clearly FUD. However, one thing stands out on for users on IOS, the video and messaging platform, trump every single one of the items on that list.
- I want to video you (sent via SMS)
- Do you have hangouts?
- No I deleted it.
- What video app to use? Whatapp?
- No I don't trust them, Facebook owns them.
- Okay, let's call.
- Can't, in a bad signal area.
- OK, SMS is fine then.:p

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
No, a trailer hitch is about the size of it. While the list is long, it is clearly FUD. However, one thing stands out on for users on IOS, the video and messaging platform, trump every single one of the items on that list.
- I want to video you (sent via SMS)
- Do you have hangouts?
- No I deleted it.
- What video app to use? Whatapp?
- No I don't trust them, Facebook owns them.
- Okay, let's call.
- Can't, in a bad signal area.
- OK, SMS is fine then.:p

What's wrong with Skype, multi-platform.

ooloo

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2018

If people still prefer overpriced iPhones with old technology, that's their problem.

smart? majority of us here are stupid?!

well, that's the part that you don't understand. it's not about the latest technology, it's about global user experience. one of my computers is a 13-inch mbp from 2011 with an ssd drive and for many tasks, i still prefer it to the majority of today's windows based laptops. if you had any brain in that stupid skull of yours you'd understand that. feel better now?

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
Well, I have a MacBook Pro and an iPhone X and they work so well together, and I’m not giving that up. I guess for me it’s about the ecosystem. Pretty simple.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Think you will find iPhones have very much up to date technology

Hell android won’t have the technology to match Face ID for another 1-2 years.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Alundra

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
smart? majority of us here are stupid?!

well, that's the part that you don't understand. it's not about the latest technology, it's about global user experience. one of my computers is a 13-inch mbp from 2011 with an ssd drive and for many tasks, i still prefer it to the majority of today's windows based laptops. if you had any brain in that stupid skull of yours you'd understand that. feel better now?

Did I hit a nerve? I see the dumb hat fit you.

I use both macs, pcs, iphones and Android. I like both for different tasks. But it's true that for most people an android would suffice. For me, User experience is not what is better in iOS. Only some apps.

It's just that Poor people think they will look rich by using iPhones, that's why they use them even though besides "status", it doesn't enhance their life in any other way. And only other poor and dumb people will care about what phone they're using.

My main daily driver is the Galaxy Note 9, and use the IPhone 8 plus for some random apps that are exclusive. Besides some exclusive apps, the iPhone is inferior in pretty much everything.

The iPad is definitely superior than any android tablet though. I'll give you that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimham

Grimham

Suspended
Jul 2, 2018

[doublepost=1536367066][/doublepost]
How does google earn it's revenue? How does apple earn it's revenue?

That isn't a viable statement. Google started by a search engine doesn't make it do that same type of function throughout it's products. Please provide proof on what was said above or you are just spewing bs.
[doublepost=1536418168][/doublepost]
Be careful with the seat analogy to phones. If you plan on keeping the car, that lever is going to be working far longer than that power seat - less to go wrong.

Doubtful. I've had multiple manual seats break on cars than I have power seats. My 19 year old Camry has power seats and it is still working fine.
[doublepost=1536418426][/doublepost]
Think you will find iPhones have very much up to date technology

Hell android won’t have the technology to match Face ID for another 1-2 years.

Laugh, and Face ID wasn't a hit either. It is still getting knocked by how bad it works in certain conditions and how it slows down after a while. I have it on my X, and hated it a lot. I doubt anyone will use it the same way Apple did. And actually Android has had its own variation of it several years before Apple did even if it was unsecure then, it is now secure. The fingerprint sensor is still the king when it goes to security and unlocking.

And iPhones up to date on technology? Before the X, they were so far back it was ridiculous. But now with the X, they have caught up a bit, but still are dated. At least the Software is more dated than the hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alundra

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That isn't a viable statement. Google started by a search engine doesn't make it do that same type of function throughout it's products. Please provide proof on what was said above or you are just spewing bs.
Please answer the question or you are just spewing more bs.

Laugh, and Face ID wasn't a hit either. It is still getting knocked by how bad it works in certain conditions and how it slows down after a while. I have it on my X, and hated it a lot. I doubt anyone will use it the same way Apple did. And actually Android has had its own variation of it several years before Apple did even if it was unsecure then, it is now secure. The fingerprint sensor is still the king when it goes to security and unlocking.

And iPhones up to date on technology? Before the X, they were so far back it was ridiculous. But now with the X, they have caught up a bit, but still are dated. At least the Software is more dated than the hardware.
I'm not sure what universe you read the reviews on, but face id is a hit, and like touch id it is going to be the gold standard for authentication. Because you don't like face id, doesn't mean others don't like it

Grimham

Suspended
Jul 2, 2018
Please answer the question or you are just spewing more bs.

I'm not sure what universe you read the reviews on, but face id is a hit, and like touch id it is going to be the gold standard for authentication. Because you don't like face id, doesn't mean others don't like it

Not till you answer what I asked you first. EOD otherwise.

I read all the Tech reviews and FaceID is still a major complaint about the X. They hope the next version will be better.

I guess you don't read everyones comments on here where they wish Apple kept Touch ID because it was better and faster. Oh, but that's right, you are a Apple fan, and ignore the truth.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Disclaimer: I use both OS' almost daily.
For me...
iOS: a work horse, basically flawless to perform day to day processes, i.e. it just works
Android: again, it works. Alas, customization to me it where is wins hands down

Of course, above is merely my opinion...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.