Why do you use Windows?

macman4789

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi guys, Happy Holidays!

I know that most of you all prefer Macs, however I also know that a lot of you still have a Windows based machine.

Simple question, why? If you could, please let me know why you have both a Mac and a windows based machine, are there any advantages?

Interested to hear your answers and thanks for your time.

throne

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
For games mostly. I hate playing games on my MacBook. The fan makes it feel like it's going to explode. Plus I like to try out the latest software if there's no Mac compatible version available. (For example, Google Chrome when it was available for download last year.)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I have a Windows partition I never use, because I'm afraid to delete it. Maybe one day I'll need to use it for school, I am in computer science after all.

fa8362

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I have an old Windows computer that doesn't have an operating system installed, so it sits. I have a Windows partition on my Mac and occasionally use it when I need Microsoft Office. I hate Windows and virtually all things PC.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Age of Empires II + website testing.

I have an install of Windows XP in Fusion for testing (this way I can work all on one machine) and an old (well, like 4 or 5 years) Dell laptop with Firefox and Age the only third-party apps.

TSE

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I use to have a Penryn MacBook Pro that I love to death. I would honestly consider that a better overall machine than the new MacBook Pros... wayyy more ports, better keyboard, better looking machine, matte screen, and overall just a pleasant computer. Probably best laptop I will ever have.

However, it was far too much overkill for me, and I was scared to damage it or get it stolen everywhere I went, so I just sold it to my brother and bought myself an HP DM3, the closest computer to an Apple computer I could find that wasn't an Apple computer. It has served me well completely fine, but I just don't have that feeling of wow.... this computer kicks ass like I did with the MacBook Pro. However, I love this computer too.

The reason why I use Windows (7 to be precise) is because Windows 7 is more compatible for the older games that I run, and I can't find a cheap Apple laptop that satisfies my needs for 500 bucks... A used Core Duo/Early Core 2 Duo MacBook doesn't satisfy them.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors 604
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I can build the computer for about 1/4 the cost of a Mac, I can play games on it, I'm not worried about a scratch or smoking voiding the warranty, and most importantly because I prefer Windows.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I currently run Windows 7 on a custom built rig. Honestly, being a long time Mac user, especially OS X, Windows 7 really is quite nice. There are some things I miss. Like iLife, and a good built in Disk Utility among others. But this rig cost me 1/3 of what a Mac would, and I can play all the latest games on it.

Do I still prefer OS X? Yes. OS X is just... effing amazing. Everything really does work better on a Mac...except for games.

When I have the money I'll buy a Mac Pro, but until then, this has become my main machine. The ol' 2002 Quicksilver PowerMac G4 just doesn't have enough power anymore...

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Why do I use Windows?

Only if there's no other choice. :mad:

At Work: No Choice. Ugh. Think "Windows + badly done specialty software". Worse, there's two different systems each with XP plus its very own badly done business application that does its best to make Windows look good in comparison. Both of these Frightmare apps are remotely administered in California over what appears to be a DSL line.
Go Ahead. Just try to type something when there's a 2-second lag between keypress and letters appearing on screen.

At Home: To run proggies that have no Mac version. This is infrequent as I'd rather stick my head in a bucket of scorpions than use Windows.

Have Fun,

Keri

PS.

Windows - The "Hold My Beer And Watch This" of Operating Systems.

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
I simply can't get into Mac OS UI. It seem counter-intuitive to me. If only Windows had a better file system and real search built in it would be a 10/10.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I use XP because I like it. Also: work and games.

But that's the thing. I don't like Vista or Win7. I love the performance I have with XP, the small install footprint, the general accessibility and compatibility of it. I just need the apps I work with. I don't need email, gadgets, new menus and taskbars, ribbon interfaces, strange magical folders, disposable features.

Whereas I love the updates to OSX. I use all the fancy features in that since I keep my music, photos, videos in there. As it stands I couldn't be without Snow Leopard and XP.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Because I don't have a Mac (yet!!).

Once I get a Mac, I am going to purchase Parallels, because school requires that I use Visual Studio in specific to develop Windows applications. I play most of my games on Playstation 3, so I won't even have a Windows partition on my Mac! :)

I can't wait.