Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Right now: games
When I get my next computer: Because I want more power in it compared to a macbook for a cheaper cost.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
Because I want to play games. I sold my Unibody to build an i7 rig and I haven't looked back. Windows 7 is awesome, I don't think that I would be so happy with PC if it weren't for #7. It's very stable and it installed ALL the drivers that I needed for my custom built PC without me even noticing. I've been a Mac man all my life BTW. Now is 7 as good as Snow Leopard? Honestly I can't even tell. They're both visually pleasing and both get the job done very well. The ONLY thing so far that I miss from Mac is spring loaded folders. That's it. iLife is nice but not something to care too much about. I've got Picasa and that's good enough for me. I am now a Windows 7 fanboy (notice I said 7 and not a generic Windows fanboy).

And also Steam, an online game store, is simply amazing. Frequent price drops on big name games and also a large selection of games makes Windows one of the best choices for gaming. Forget consoles!

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
For work and entertainment. Not using Mac anymore. Sold it, because it was to slow. From that money I did buy myself a nice PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Works like a charm.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I only use Windows when I have to meaning they either don't make the application for Mac or if I'm forced to use it like at work. Other than that I prefer using my Mac. Just about every time I use Windows I'm reminded why I stay with Macs and I've used Windows for about 15 or so years.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I have to use Windows for online college. For some reason, you can't use a Mac browser for school, and you can't use any other Windows browser other than IE for school. Haven't figured out yet why, but then again it's ITT Tech, what the hell do these guys know?:rolleyes:

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Simple question, why?.

I'm OS Ambivolent. I have a PC because I can have a LOT of power MUCH cheaper than Apple can give it to me. I could have a workstation + small render farm for the price of a Mac Pro.

I use 3DS Max. Not available on Mac OS.

I play some Steam games. Not available on Mac OS.

I use what I consider to be the best tools for whatever it is I want to do. Thus - I have a Macbook, and a PC Workstation.

Mac's are not perfect. They don't do everything.

Domanic

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
Sussex, UK
I only use windows on the rare occasions I don't take my macbook into uni and I use one of the library computers.

Or if I cant be bothered to go upstairs at get my macbook when I'm at my parents and I use my mother's netbook...

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
The only reason there's still a PC in this house is because of my parents (I'm 17). They bought a decent PC, monitor mouse and keyboard with better specs for less than the baseline Mac Mini.

It's giving them tons of trouble, and whenever I have to troubleshoot it I want to throw it out a window within five minutes, but it's cheaper and it gets the job done.

I'm really going to work on convincing them next time that paying a bit more for a Mac would have been worth it, they're regretting their decision already.

But yeah, because of the times and Macs not really being a cheap machine, we had to go with a PC. Loving my MBP, though.

red42

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
I'm using Snow Leopard right now. Its quick and snappy, but thats because I'm using an SSD and 5 GB or RAM. However the applications I use keep crashing on me. The Mac applications are basically turd.

The GUI is nice and big and friendly and I think that is the appeal with Apple. Windows 7 is actually really really good. I've been using Windows 7 for nearly a year now and it works just right for me.

In 1 month of Snow Leopard I've had more crashes than I have with Windows 7 since Microsoft released the free beta on their servers.

I would recommend you give Windows 7 a try, there are much more applications out there for Windows.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I use Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Mac is my main workhorse because Windows isn't capable of doing what I need it to do (and I'm a Windows PC and server tech so I know its not user error :D )

I DO use windows whenever I need to program in Direct X...but thats about it.

I use Linux for alot of scientific programs that are available or if I need some type of open source software. Its also on my netbook because it runs fast. I can use any linux but I prefer ubuntu redhat or fedora.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Because of work. They actually gift the laptops we use to their employees every two years.

Then again my job gives us the laptop, company car with company gas card, a blackberry, etc. etc.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I run a pair of professional suites that Windows is the only OS they can both work under (used in tandem).

That said, I don't mind Win7, and don't have issues with it. To me, the OS + system = tool to get a job done. So I run Linux and OS X too.

nicholasEff

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009
I enjoy the company of both systems. I wish the best for Apple and Microsoft yet Microsoft could loosen the belt a bit and Apple could sedate its ego some. I even do a lot of my writing and networking on a Linux machine and am excited to see Chrome OS on my Eee. The best way to have the most enjoyable experience is to love em' all!!!!! It's technology!!!! Why do you want to choose sides?

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Because for some of my computing needs, Windows is better. Like my high end gaming rig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.