Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
my friend has a 2009 macbook pro and it seems to start up faster than my 13in macbook pro 2011. Why could this be? how can i tell if he maybe has an ssd drive?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Look into Disk Utility or System Profiler / System Report > Hardware > Serial-ATA if your friend has an SSD.

And why not just use the SLEEP command?

Nov 28, 2010
located
What? It's as simple as putting them next to each other and pressing the power buttons at more or less the same time. Or use a stopwatch. Or count to yourself. If it's actually that significant of a difference it should be obvious.

Sorry, was just arsing you around a bit. ;)

I mean, shouldn't what you wrote be obvious? Or do I have my "naive day" today?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Oh. Hah hah.

Yeah, it SHOULD be. As should a lot of other things I comment on throughout my days here... :D

Yeah, I get that from "some" (almost all of them, and I can relate) of your posts. Like in that "lawsuit articles overflow thread", where the obvious is obvious.

58.gif
Ah, new signature material.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
First off he doesn't remember if it was ssd. Second off I'm asking because mine should technically start up faster. Yes I'm running the newest os and he has the os from 2009

Nov 28, 2010
located
First off he doesn't remember if it was ssd.
That's strange, but not really that strange. It's life I guess.
Second off I'm asking because mine should technically start up faster. Yes I'm running the newest os and he has the os from 2009
Just because you have a faster CPU, does not mean, your Mac should start faster, as the boot up process is not really CPU intensive. It is more about loading files from the HDD/SSD into the RAM than anything else.
Btw, a newer OS does also not mean a faster OS, not since Leopard, though Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion seem to be different.

And why not use the Sleep feature?

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
First off he doesn't remember if it was ssd. Second off I'm asking because mine should technically start up faster. Yes I'm running the newest os and he has the os from 2009

New OS =/= Faster

In fact, the older OS a slightly less bloated then the current one. Also, is your drive fragmented? That affects boot times also.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
If you're using Lion and your friend is using Snow Leopard (or even Leopard) AND basically you're both using similar drives yeah, his mac will boot up faster.

No surprise to me.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I just got the computer in December so isk if it's fragmented. Should be fine

And why do you say doesn't surprise u that leopard would load faster than new os

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I've noticed (in some cases), that having external HDDs plugged in can increase the boot time during the beginning white screen. I think it is looking to see which disks are bootable during POST but I am not positive. No idea if this pertains to your situation though.

Also you can check if any programs are set to startup before a user logs in. You can check System Preferences > Software > Startup Items or look for entries in the /System/Library/StartupItems directory.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
He has no external hdd

----------

Also it's not good to always have it sleeping is it? Isn't it good to shut it down?!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Also it's not good to always have it sleeping is it?
Only the RAM is powered during sleep. I did and do it with all my portable Macs and have not experienced any harm. It is also faster to wake from sleep than to boot every day, even with an SSD.

Isn't it good to shut it down?!
It puts more unnecessary wear on your HDD to daily startup and shutdown processes.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of threads about whether to sleep or shutdown your MacBook Pro:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
You're running a different OS on each computer. They have different software, possibly different things loading at startup. He might have an SSD, or an HDD that's faster than yours. There's tons of possibilities, all of which can change the load times.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
And why do you say doesn't surprise u that leopard would load faster than new os
Because it's a fact. (Google it). But more importantly...when are you going to get a little less cryptic in your posts and tell us how much "time" you're talking about? Seconds? Minutes? Weeks? :eek:

A few seconds is no big deal BTW.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I'm surprised no one mentioned this,

The 15 inch macbook pro has always been more powerful than 13 inch versions. It has faster processors, more memory, better graphics, and faster hard drives. The 13 inch pro, even if its a year or two newer, is still the baseline notebook, typically using old and slow processors, integrated graphics, and not much RAM.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

No, this is where you are wrong. Boot times have very little to do with how powerful a machine is. It is mostly determined by how fast your machine can load the OS from the HDD to the RAM.
I assume both of you have a equally fast HDD - so your laptop takes longer, because the new OS has a larger memory footprint.

PS: Your machine doesn't care whether you put it to sleep or whether you shut it down all the time. In my opinion shutting down and/or rebooting is a waste of time...

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Only the RAM is powered during sleep. I did and do it with all my portable Macs and have not experienced any harm. It is also faster to wake from sleep than to boot every day, even with an SSD.

It puts more unnecessary wear on your HDD to daily startup and shutdown processes.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of threads about whether to sleep or shutdown your MacBook Pro:

you know what's funny about your post, if the OP does that and bumps a thread, there will be posters being *******s to him because he bumped an old thread.

either

1. you make a new thread, that everyone has discussed, and you get yelled at

or

2. you use the search function, bump an old thread, and you get yelled at.

new posters don't win on this forum :rolleyes:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
you know what's funny about your post, if the OP does that and bumps a thread, there will be posters being *******s to him because he bumped an old thread.

either

1. you make a new thread, that everyone has discussed, and you get yelled at

or

2. you use the search function, bump an old thread, and you get yelled at.

new posters don't win on this forum :rolleyes:

I think the point was to have the OP read older posts about the same subject. Just reading would most likely answer that question, and not necessitate a new post about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.