Why does a 15in macbook pro 2009 seem to load faster than my 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michael31986, Feb 18, 2012.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

my friend has a 2009 macbook pro and it seems to start up faster than my 13in macbook pro 2011. Why could this be? how can i tell if he maybe has an ssd drive?

2. simsaladimbamba

Look into Disk Utility or System Profiler / System Report > Hardware > Serial-ATA if your friend has an SSD.

And why not just use the SLEEP command?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could ask him.

"Seems" and "Does" are two different things. This thread is pointless unless the other Mac actually does start up faster. Why don't you time it and get back to us.

4. simsaladimbamba

How do you time time?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What? It's as simple as putting them next to each other and pressing the power buttons at more or less the same time. Or use a stopwatch. Or count to yourself. If it's actually that significant of a difference it should be obvious.

6. simsaladimbamba

Sorry, was just arsing you around a bit. ;)

I mean, shouldn't what you wrote be obvious? Or do I have my "naive day" today?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh. Hah hah.

Yeah, it SHOULD be. As should a lot of other things I comment on throughout my days here... :D

8. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, I get that from "some" (almost all of them, and I can relate) of your posts. Like in that "lawsuit articles overflow thread", where the obvious is obvious.

[​IMG]Ah, new signature material.

9. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

First off he doesn't remember if it was ssd. Second off I'm asking because mine should technically start up faster. Yes I'm running the newest os and he has the os from 2009

10. simsaladimbamba

That's strange, but not really that strange. It's life I guess.
    Just because you have a faster CPU, does not mean, your Mac should start faster, as the boot up process is not really CPU intensive. It is more about loading files from the HDD/SSD into the RAM than anything else.
    Btw, a newer OS does also not mean a faster OS, not since Leopard, though Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion seem to be different.

And why not use the Sleep feature?

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

New OS =/= Faster

In fact, the older OS a slightly less bloated then the current one. Also, is your drive fragmented? That affects boot times also.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

If you're using Lion and your friend is using Snow Leopard (or even Leopard) AND basically you're both using similar drives yeah, his mac will boot up faster.

No surprise to me.

13. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

I just got the computer in December so isk if it's fragmented. Should be fine

And why do you say doesn't surprise u that leopard would load faster than new os

14. jackrv macrumors 6502

I've noticed (in some cases), that having external HDDs plugged in can increase the boot time during the beginning white screen. I think it is looking to see which disks are bootable during POST but I am not positive. No idea if this pertains to your situation though.

Also you can check if any programs are set to startup before a user logs in. You can check System Preferences > Software > Startup Items or look for entries in the /System/Library/StartupItems directory.

15. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

He has no external hdd

----------

Also it's not good to always have it sleeping is it? Isn't it good to shut it down?!

16. simsaladimbamba

Only the RAM is powered during sleep. I did and do it with all my portable Macs and have not experienced any harm. It is also faster to wake from sleep than to boot every day, even with an SSD.

It puts more unnecessary wear on your HDD to daily startup and shutdown processes.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of threads about whether to sleep or shutdown your MacBook Pro:
    [​IMG]

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You're running a different OS on each computer. They have different software, possibly different things loading at startup. He might have an SSD, or an HDD that's faster than yours. There's tons of possibilities, all of which can change the load times.

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Because it's a fact. (Google it). But more importantly...when are you going to get a little less cryptic in your posts and tell us how much "time" you're talking about? Seconds? Minutes? Weeks? :eek:

A few seconds is no big deal BTW.

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'm surprised no one mentioned this,

The 15 inch macbook pro has always been more powerful than 13 inch versions. It has faster processors, more memory, better graphics, and faster hard drives. The 13 inch pro, even if its a year or two newer, is still the baseline notebook, typically using old and slow processors, integrated graphics, and not much RAM.

20. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, this is where you are wrong. Boot times have very little to do with how powerful a machine is. It is mostly determined by how fast your machine can load the OS from the HDD to the RAM.
    I assume both of you have a equally fast HDD - so your laptop takes longer, because the new OS has a larger memory footprint.

PS: Your machine doesn't care whether you put it to sleep or whether you shut it down all the time. In my opinion shutting down and/or rebooting is a waste of time...

21. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you know what's funny about your post, if the OP does that and bumps a thread, there will be posters being *******s to him because he bumped an old thread.

either

1. you make a new thread, that everyone has discussed, and you get yelled at

or

2. you use the search function, bump an old thread, and you get yelled at.

new posters don't win on this forum :rolleyes:

22. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I think the point was to have the OP read older posts about the same subject. Just reading would most likely answer that question, and not necessitate a new post about it.

23. simsaladimbamba

I understand, but what is so wrong to show someone a tool to find answers for him or herself while waiting to be spoonfed?

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's fine to sleep. I don't ever shut down my laptop unless my battery is low or I'm gonna be away for more than a day

25. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

And so the new mac user learns just how poorly Lion performs.