Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
How come when someone (me in this case) receives a suspension, access to reading the forums is blocked?

When an account is suspended or even Banned, why not allow the user to stay logged in and have basic access to read the forums instead of logging out? Perhaps those who are suspended or banned could even still take part in liking/reacting to posts, but not reply to posts/crest new threads.

I had to access for forums in private mode for the duration of my suspension just to read any part of the forum. It seems excessive to ban or suspend someone and prevent them from having read only access. Is this a limitation of the forum software or intentional on Arn’s part?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
How come when someone (me in this case) receives a suspension, access to reading the forums is blocked?

When an account is suspended or even Banned, why not allow the user to stay logged in and have basic access to read the forums instead of logging out? Perhaps those who are suspended or banned could even still take part in liking/reacting to posts, but not reply to posts/crest new threads.

I had to access for forums in private mode for the duration of my suspension just to read any part of the forum. It seems excessive to ban or suspend someone and prevent them from having read only access. Is this a limitation of the forum software or intentional on Arn’s part?
What difference does it make? Log out or browse in a private tab. Whether it’s intentional or not, seems like the people responsible for the forum software would have more important things to worry about, since there is an easy work-around.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
What difference does it make? Log out or browse in a private tab. Whether it’s intentional or not, seems like the people responsible for the forum software would have more important things to worry about, since there is an easy work-around.

Just a question. Not the end of the world, it’s not a big dead to either log out or use private browsing, but I’m curious to know if it’s a forum limitation or intentional.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Just a question. Not the end of the world, it’s not a big dead to either log out or use private browsing, but I’m curious to know if it’s a forum limitation or intentional.
Seems like if they didn’t do it this way it would cause lots of issues. For example. When you browse, what happens if someone clicks on your profile? Should the “last seen viewing...” indicator be updated based on what you are looking at? Maybe you were suspended for fighting with user X, and now you can be seen lurking around looking at user X’s profile or user x’s posts.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The default banning system in Xenforo prevents read access. I don’t think that entirely makes sense except for spammers, but that’s how it works. I had thought about how to do it differently but it would require some modifications.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.